Jump to content

Advanced Binds - A Lazy Kin's "buff that guy with Speed Boost & Increase Density" Button


Avernal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Do you play a Kinetics alt? Do you HATE having to click people to target them and then try to queue up two buffs before they inevitably run off out of range? Is thinking too hard? Then this bind is for you.

This is something I use on all my Kin alts, because I cannot be bothered to chase after players or put any level of thought in to buffing them with SB and ID. Other people are usually far too squirmy for my liking and make keeping those buffs up a chore - I am NOT someone who enjoys playing a healer/buffer class as you can tell... but I CAN fake it using this bind!

TL;DR: Hit Q - squirmy 'friendly' player (teamed or otherwise) you're *roughly* looking at gets buffed with both powers.

Thank goodness these powers were made soft targetted AoE's - it made this bind even lazier. ūüôā
 


 

First up - the basics, and some things you'll benefit from knowing, in plain English:
 

  • Binds have a hard limit of around 255 characters, so for more complex ones you need to split them in to chunks (files) that fit those restrictions. That's why binds like this use multiple text files.
     
  • The 'bindloadfile' command will default to the 'root' game directory if you use relative paths ("bindloadfile file1.txt" would look for file1.txt in the root directory), this means you're cutting out however many characters you would waste on typing out the full HDD path, so you don't need to use "C:/Binds/whatever.txt" as a sloppy workaround for that - "binds/whatever.txt" is MUCH shorter than even that and lets you keep your binds subfolder in the game's directory. Win-win. Now this will differ from launcher to launcher - but essentially Tequila will look in the 'Tequila' directory if you don't use a full path, whereas Homecoming's launcher would look in "settings/live" (for the live servers). You may need to fiddle with this if you're using other launchers to find out where the game is looking by default, generally it'll be in the same location as the City of Heroes executable file, Homecoming have just sorted their versions to their own subfolders.
     
  • Removing the underscores from slash commands makes them shorter and the game still understands them - you don't need "bind_load_file", because "bindloadfile" works too and is two characters shorter. I like "bindloadfilesilent" because whilst it's a little longer, it means my chat window isn't getting spammed with bind files loading in, and I can still split most of my long bind loops in to 2 or 4 files to avoid the hard limit of text characters.
     
  • If you add "+ $$- $$" (note the spaces) to the beginning of your multiple file bind, it will actually execute two steps - once when you press the key down, and again when you release it. In a bind that uses multiple files - this means one keypress will run *two* bind files on a single push and release, speeding things up (this is the shortest possible number of characters and is thanks to JAMMan0000's post below). We're using this here so we only have to hit Q once and it'll slap them with Speed Boost then queue up Increase Density immediately after.

 



File 1 'sb.txt' - located in a '/binds' sub-folder of my Homecoming installation ('/settings/live/')
When I push Q: clear my current target, target the nearest friendly player who is not dead, hit them with Speed Boost, then load in my Increase Density bind file.
 

Q "+ $$- $$unselect$$targetcustomnext friend alive$$powexecname Speed Boost$$bindloadfilesilent binds/id.txt"

 

File 2 'id.txt' - located in a '/binds' sub-folder of my Homecoming installation ('/settings/live/')
When I *RELEASE* Q: queue up casting Increase Density on my previously selected not-dead friendly, then load in my Speed Boost bind file.
 

Q "+ $$- $$powexecname Increase Density$$bindloadfilesilent binds/sb.txt"

 



How to use:

Type /bindloadfile "binds/sb.txt" in game chat and hit enter, this will initially load the bind in.

1) Hit Q to buff SB on the nearest target friendly you're *roughly* looking at (you'll get used to how to frame your camera to get specific people with practice), release Q and it'll follow up with ID. Press and release quickly to do both without thinking or applying any level of effort.

2) Profit.

Edited by Avernal
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later

Like it, not sure if I'll use it, but I definitely like it.

 

 

 

As someone who mostly plays kins I've always wanted some nice, clean, simple keybind files to make things a little less hectic in full team scenarios.

Something along the lines of the Mastermind numpad keybind set but mostly for use on the other players in the team.

Numpad 0 - Tank/Brute target enemy near & corner pull.

Numpad period - SB/ID/IR

Numpad enter - FS,SP,SS

Numpad 1 - dps passive

Numpad 2 - dps defensive

Numpad 3 - dps go nuts

Numpad 4 - CC&Buffer passive

Numpad 5 - CC&Buffer defensive

Numpad 6 - CC&Buffer go nuts

Numpad 7 - Tank/Brute passive

Numpad 8 - Tank/Brute defensive

Numpad 9 - Tank/Brute go nuts

Numpad + - all pets... err... all team mates attack my target

Numpad - - all pe... all team mates gather

Numpad * - all team mates activate your buffs

Numpad / - "Heel" targets furthest straying team mate and auto TPs them back to the group. They are then hit with a debuff that physically prevents them from traipsing off alone away from the team for 5 minutes. This debuff can not be removed. Timer must expire naturally.

 

 

In a perfect world anyhow.¬†¬†ūü§£

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do similar to this on characters with Vengeance too - one key that you push once, will automatically find the dead teammate/friendly, then cast the ability. Laziness intensifies. ūüėĀ

Joke or not you could do 90% of those commands as binds that use the ability or yell something in chat - you're just going one step further and automating all interaction with your teammates to button pushing. ūüėÜ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later
On 3/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, Avernal said:

If you add "+down$$-down$$" to the beginning of your multiple file bind, it will actually execute two steps

I think you can just replace "+down$$-down" with  a blank space it will work also. Has to be a blank space after the +/- though. Like "+ $$- ".  If that works, then would be shorter and avoid any potential movement impact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JAMMan0000 said:

I think you can just replace "+down$$-down" with  a blank space it will work also. Has to be a blank space after the +/- though. Like "+ $$- ".  If that works, then would be shorter and avoid any potential movement impact.



Test it and let me know how it goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah seems to work. Here are lines for the files I use in SB/ID macros.

 

SBID1.txt:

g "+ $$- $$powexecname speed boost$$bindloadfilesilent ".\binds\SBID2.txt""

SBID2.txt:

g "+ $$- $$powexecname increase density$$bindloadfilesilent ".\binds\SBID1.txt""

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JAMMan0000 said:

Yeah seems to work. Here are lines for the files I use in SB/ID macros.

 

SBID1.txt:

g "+ $$- $$powexecname speed boost$$bindloadfilesilent ".\binds\SBID2.txt""

SBID2.txt:

g "+ $$- $$powexecname increase density$$bindloadfilesilent ".\binds\SBID1.txt""


Had a chance to try this in a couple of my push-to-toggle binds and definitely works, this is the shortest possible character string as well, so nice find. ūüėä

I'll edit these in to my other guide posts at some point.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later

this is great!

 

I adapted this for my electric heals and absorb.  But I noticed that if I don't have anything targeted then the ability in the first file doesn't go off.  the nearest freindly is targeted.  But no ability firing on the Key down.  When I release the key, then the second ability does fire off.     It works great if I already have the nearest friendly targeted.  

 

v "+ $$- $$targetcustomnear friend alive$$powexecname Insulating Circuit$$bindloadfile binds/electricbuff2.txt"

and

v "+ $$- $$powexecname Rejuvenating Circuit$$bindloadfile binds/electricbuff.txt"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2021 at 12:11 PM, SmalltalkJava said:

this is great!

 

I adapted this for my electric heals and absorb.  But I noticed that if I don't have anything targeted then the ability in the first file doesn't go off.  the nearest freindly is targeted.  But no ability firing on the Key down.  When I release the key, then the second ability does fire off.     It works great if I already have the nearest friendly targeted.  

 

v "+ $$- $$targetcustomnear friend alive$$powexecname Insulating Circuit$$bindloadfile binds/electricbuff2.txt"

and

v "+ $$- $$powexecname Rejuvenating Circuit$$bindloadfile binds/electricbuff.txt"

 



Does it behave that way regardless of which targeting method you use? I noticed you're using near instead of next, the behaviour is the same on both?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

Got this message when I tried to load bind:

 Unable to read in keybind file: c:*****/settings/live/binds/sb.txt

 

The ***is my edit. But any idea what the problem is?

are your bind files in the c:*****/settings/live/binds directory?  The game will print that message out if it can't find the file.    

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

are your bind files in the c:*****/settings/live/binds directory?  The game will print that message out if it can't find the file.    

 

Yes, but I did have to create the "binds" folder in the "live" folder. I rarely use binds, mostly do macros.  Should folder name be binds or bind ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are using the original. like: 

Q "+ $$- $$unselect$$targetcustomnext friend alive$$powexecname Speed Boost$$bindloadfilesilent binds/id.txt"

 

then you want the two files id.txt and sb.txt in the "binds" subdirectory.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.7255ada04cf03fb973a516c17c48fd42.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later

I've been trying a bunch of variations on these, trying to get one key to select a nearby ally and then perform Rejuvenating Circuit, Insulating Circuit, Empowering Circuit, and finally, Energizing Circuit. 

 

I just can't get it to work right unless it's on five separate keys without loading bind files, even though it was almost trivial to get Speed Boost and Increase Density on one of my kins.  I even tried the simple case of just two of the circuit powers. In the best case, it selects the nearby ally, fires the first power in the series, and leaves that first power queued up a second time. Subsequent presses of the key will only ever fire the first power, even though it appears the bindload for the second power has succeeded.

 

I suspect that these circuit powers are attack powers, even though they target allies, and attack powers seem to have some (many?) safeguards built into the macro/bind system to prevent just this kind of one-key-does-it-all approach. Speed boost and Increase Density must not be in that protected class, and as pure buffs, don't get that kind of treatment. Can anyone confirm this?

 

In the mean time, I've put each of my four circuit powers on separate keys. It's no big issue, but I wish there was clearer, more complete, original documentation for the bind system.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later
On 4/14/2021 at 7:27 AM, JAMMan0000 said:

I think you can just replace "+down$$-down" with  a blank space it will work also. Has to be a blank space after the +/- though. Like "+ $$- ".  If that works, then would be shorter and avoid any potential movement impact.

You don't even need the space anymore. Homecoming has made a few improvements to the bind system. So... this will work fine:

 

G "+$$powexecname speed boost$$bindloadfilesilent /binds/SBID2.txt"

 

You can also do this without creating the text files. The following bind works great:

G "+$$TargetCustomNext Friend Alive$$powexecname speed boost"

 

Lastly, TargetCustomNext, or any Target* command, will work only if the target is in front of you within your field of vision. I usually prefer TeamSelect # because if a teammate is behind me or to the side, I'll turn around and zap them automatically. It all depends on what you're trying to do, however.

 

Edited by BlackSpectre
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 11:18 AM, Andreah said:

I've been trying a bunch of variations on these, trying to get one key to select a nearby ally and then perform Rejuvenating Circuit, Insulating Circuit, Empowering Circuit, and finally, Energizing Circuit. 

 

I just can't get it to work right unless it's on five separate keys without loading bind files, even though it was almost trivial to get Speed Boost and Increase Density on one of my kins.  I even tried the simple case of just two of the circuit powers. In the best case, it selects the nearby ally, fires the first power in the series, and leaves that first power queued up a second time. Subsequent presses of the key will only ever fire the first power, even though it appears the bindload for the second power has succeeded.

 

I suspect that these circuit powers are attack powers, even though they target allies, and attack powers seem to have some (many?) safeguards built into the macro/bind system to prevent just this kind of one-key-does-it-all approach. Speed boost and Increase Density must not be in that protected class, and as pure buffs, don't get that kind of treatment. Can anyone confirm this?

 

In the mean time, I've put each of my four circuit powers on separate keys. It's no big issue, but I wish there was clearer, more complete, original documentation for the bind system.

 

The main issue is timing. Powers have an activation time and a recharge time. Binds are more or less instant, and take almost no time to activate.

 

Activation sequence of click powers is also an issue. Powers in a bind activate from right to left, so if you have a bind that attempts to activate 2 click powers, only the "first" power on the right will be activated. This is why using a text bind is useful, because it places one power at the "beginning" of the bind in one text file, and the other power at the "beginning" of the bind in another text file.

 

Only 1 click power can be queued at a time. If a click power is already activated and recharging, the second click power will be queued to activate. A command to activate a third click power will simply override the previously queued click power and queue the new power. This means only 2 click powers can be in a bind and function properly. One that is activated, and the other that is queued. Some players use the PowExec_Auto command to work around this limitation, but its use is very situational (I don't find it very useful).

 

In order for a second click power to be queued, the first click power has to be either activating or recharging. Otherwise the first click power will be activated again. So you have to wait for the first click power to recharge fully and the second click power to be activated before you try to activate a third click power. 

 

If you have more than 2 click powers to activate and only want to use one key, it's easiest just to create a text bind file for each click power and just rotate through them one at a time using the same key and pressing it multiple times. It's also more reliable if you don't use the toggle character "+" on the far left of the bind for this. The toggle character makes the bind execute on key PRESSS and again on key RELEASE, and sometimes it can get messed up. You still have to wait until no power is queued and only 1 power is recharging to activate it though, and I have always found this to be a bit of a hassle, especially in the heat of combat.

 

Personally, when I have more than 2 click powers to activate on one target, I just use SHIFT+Numpad1-8 to select the team member and then assign one of the numpad keys to each power.  

 

Not the greatest, but its the best we got.

 

 

Edited by BlackSpectre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...