Martial Arts rotation

Turric

I have a scrapper sitting at vet level 15 which I do not much play anymore and this is my problem:

Martial Arts has 6 ST attacks and a 7th AoE attack. In my idiocy, I chose all of them. Now, my build is actually pretty decent. Super Reflexes is a good secondary. But I want to pare down some of the attacks, like a 4 move chain perhaps. My thinking is to remove the lowest, Thunder Kick, right off the bat, since it is minor damage. I am not sure of the next. I want a solid 3 or 4 move chain that has a nice smooth animation synchronization. 

Any Martial Arts experts out there who can share their attack chain and reinvigorate my opinion of this character? Keep in mind some of the alternate animations.

As a side note, Street Justice is a far better martial arts set IMO. It feels more visceral.

• Like 1

StJ has better animations but worse everything else. Worse AoE, clunkier ST rotation. You name it. Dem gorgeous animations though....

MA also has a nice fat 10% defense bonus to all on defensive ATs such as Tanker and Brutes. This allows for some silly things like softcapping defense while hardcapping resistances, while also doing some pretty good early damage such the combo in my signature.

Scrapper is a different beast but you have three attacks that come to the front:

Storm Kick is a good filler, animates blazingly fast and gets extra crit chances. I would dump your 50% chance of crit there.

Crane Kick is a good and reliable source of Force Feedback procs as well as soft CC with the knockdowns. But it needs an Overwhelming proc or Sudden Acceleration ASAP. The FF proc accelerates the build but this is not a concern for you since you have no cooldowns in Super Reflexes.

Crippling Axe Kick has a low enough cooldown you can proc the attack to heck and back. If you want you can also slot a -res proc in there though I found those to be of little use outside of pylon tests (where they shine).

With all three you can do CaK, Storm Kick, Crane Kick. Repeat. At lower levels of recharge CaK, Storm Kick, Crane Kick, Storm Kick.

As much as Scrappers turn into smashers later on do try Fire Armor/Martial Arts on a Tanker and have a higher and steadier (sturdier too) performance at all levels and not just later in the character's career.

• Like 2

I'm in the weird minority where I feel like StJ is somehow LESS visceral, and I think it's all about the noises. It's just really faint thuds and cracks to my ears, which makes it way less satisfying to use to me, as fun as uppercutting a goon into the ceiling is. Initial Strike always sounds like it's missing - whiff-whiff. Notable exception is Spinning Strike which is just so crunchy.

Martial Arts has KAPLOW and WHACKAM noises, which are way more enjoyable to me than thud-thud crack wonk. Very over the top and that's my jam.

Anyway, sovera has covered everything succinctly (as usual), but I will say from subjective experience, keeping the knockback in Crane Kick leads to some super satisfying moments (at the cost of performance). Nothing beats defeat-kicking a badguy off a roof or into a wall with the last hit.

• Like 2

If you keep it all in the primary and don't add epic powers I like this one:

Storm Kick > Eagles Claw > Storm Kick > Crippling Axe Kick > Crane Kick

And then I also take dragon's tail and swap it in place of one of the storm kicks when I'm surrounded.  This also happens to be 100% kicks, so it has that visual synergy I was looking for in my build as well.  You could replace crane kick with cobra strike which would give you a stun instead of a knockback which is probably more powerful due to a stun being better then a knockback, but the DPS is identical.

The real payoff comes from slotting procs.  In my tank build, I managed to 3 slot procs in each attack with 0 recharge so I could benefit from the maximum proc chance of each attack.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow