Looking to buy a new mouse. Vertical mouse?

Echo Night

I currently have two mouse. Mice? One (the wired Logitech G502 Hero) likes to double click everything. I have done everything I can think of to fix this (updates, mouse settings etc.) but nothing has worked. Trying to move insp around in the tray results in the one I'm trying to move, to be consumed. Or moving BU causing it to fire. So frustrating!

I bought a new mouse (Amazon generic brand, wireless, silent) a few months ago to hopefully replace the other, but frequently, the LMB will not respond. I thought maybe this was a dust on the laser issue, or maybe some build up underneath the LMB, but I clean the whole mouse about once a week. This is a good mouse for the price I paid and this particular issue doesn't affect CoH as much as it does on SoD2. Try killing a charging blood feral when the LMB fails. Lots of dodging until the LMB finally does it's job. This particular issue is the worst offender. I have to slam my finger down many times to get it to work.

Does anyone have any experience with the vertical mouse? I was looking at them as an option but wanted feedback if possible.

Very Respectfully,

Echo Night

It sounds like you have other problems besides the actual mouse itself — something in the drivers, most likely. Not sure any new mouse of any style will fix the problems.

I do know I strongly prefer a wired console so that the connectivity never, ever becomes a problem in itself.

ETA: You might try uninstalling all the Logitech driver and support stuff, and re installing it. And/or go in and make sure it's all reset to defaults. I know Logi lets you do all kinds of reprogramming, key swapping, auto double-click etc. and you might just be able to get your 502 to work right. Make sure it's not switching to a game profile as well, or if it is, that the profile is all default/set correctly as above.

I stay with the pointing device I've preferred for years: the teardrop-shaped Logi thumb-ball. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Oddly enough, my sister is having the same double-click issue on my old G-500 that I gave her. Haven't had the same issue with my G-502 (granted, I did program the macro button for rapid-fire clicking.)

I've had co-workers that used the vert mouse for programming/graphics/etc, not sure if they used them while gaming though.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I had the same problem on my g602. It occasionally pops up on my current razer basilisk hyperspeed but removing and returning the usb fixes it. Never figured out how to fix the logitech. I think it is particular to the combination of stuff on the particular pc as the logitech doesn't have the same problem on my laptop. 

I had purchased an Evolulent (sp?) vertical mouse (they retail for around $100 USD) because they seemed to have some of the best reviews and ratings for vertical mice. I was looking into them because I have pretty severe tendonitis in my right arm, and I cannot avoid using a computer due to school, so I try to do what I can ergonomically. 

For regular, basic computer use, the Evolulent was fine, nothing special. However, I do not recommend a vertical mouse at all for gaming. It was absolutely obnoxious to use, and if you're even the slightest bit twitchy like I can sometimes be, then you'll find yourself clicking on a button you didn't want to because of the way they're aligned on the mouse. Plus, the damn thing made my hand/wrist/arm hurt way worse than before. I switched back to my Logitech MX Ergo which I love. It's not perfect, but my hand doesn't hurt as bad using it since it has a trackball (meaning you don't need to move your whole hand to move the cursor). And I find that my Ergo works just fine for gaming with CoH as well.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Thank you for all the feedback. What I've done is just uninstalled the the Logitech software program. So far, it seems to be working out. Every now and then I think a double click happens but that just may be my memory recall suggesting that it occurred. We'll see.

Very Respectfully,

Echo Night

32 minutes ago, Echo Night said:

Thank you for all the feedback. What I've done is just uninstalled the the Logitech software program. So far, it seems to be working out.

You should be able to reinstall the most current Logitech Game Software and get back those features and such with a default button assignment. but maybe your problem was just a system incompatibility with the driver/app itself.

21 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

...vertical mice. I was looking into them because I have pretty severe tendonitis in my right arm, and I cannot avoid using a computer due to school, so I try to do what I can ergonomically.

The answer you're looking for is "trackball." Really. Putting your arm/wrist in one comfortable, ergonomic, supported position and keeping it there is what a good trackball is all about. I switched to trackballs... many years ago. And yes, there are some truly crappy designs that put people off the notion, like the big-ball ones that force you to sort of float your hand in mid air for hours and hours. The Logi thumb-ball ones allow you to completely rest your arm all the time. (I finally had to give up and buy a wireless one, since they stopped making the wired ones and I wore out my hoarded stash and new ones are in stratospheric prices on EBay, but I've actually had no complaints with the connectivity.) Give it a shot.

A vertical mouse just changes the way your hold your arm; not really much of an advantage. I'd say the design is about 90% marketing whiz over actual advantage/innovation. 😛

I really shudder at how long people use and game and so forth with really crappy ergo. It'll cost you in the end, even if it's just carpal tunnel surgery and not back and neck issues. I understand all the issues that drive laptop popularity, too, but kee-rist, their ergonomics belong with the rack and solitary confinement...

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, Shenanigunner said:

You should be able to reinstall the most current Logitech Game Software and get back those features and such with a default button assignment. but maybe your problem was just a system incompatibility with the driver/app itself.

The answer you're looking for is "trackball." Really. Putting your arm/wrist in one comfortable, ergonomic, supported position and keeping it there is what a good trackball is all about. I switched to trackballs... many years ago. And yes, there are some truly crappy designs that put people off the notion, like the big-ball ones that force you to sort of float your hand in mid air for hours and hours. The Logi thumb-ball ones allow you to completely rest your arm all the time. (I finally had to give up and buy a wireless one, since they stopped making the wired ones and I wore out my hoarded stash and new ones are in stratospheric prices on EBay, but I've actually had no complaints with the connectivity.) Give it a shot.

A vertical mouse just changes the way your hold your arm; not really much of an advantage. I'd say the design is about 90% marketing whiz over actual advantage/innovation. 😛

I really shudder at how long people use and game and so forth with really crappy ergo. It'll cost you in the end, even if it's just carpal tunnel surgery and not back and neck issues. I understand all the issues that drive laptop popularity, too, but kee-rist, their ergonomics belong with the rack and solitary confinement...

Did you actually read what I wrote? I literally said I swapped back to my Logitech MX Ergo, which is a trackball mouse, but thanks for providing an explanation I didn't need. 😏

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

4 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Did you actually read what I wrote? I literally said I swapped back to my Logitech MX Ergo, which is a trackball mouse, but thanks for providing an explanation I didn't need. 😏

No, I missed that. To be fair, I won't bill you for the info. 😄