Invisible costume pieces!

So I was thinking...  If they could make an invisible costume option for every slot, with just a color tintable flat detail against the end of the body part so you don't see into the hollow model (if it is hollow).

I'd love to be able to have a toon without a bottom half, or with just floating gloves and a hooded cloak. Or an invis head with a mask floating there. Or even just a toon with a missing arm.  I could go on but my point being there'd be a lot of cool costume and character ideas if this were an option.

Absolutely no idea how difficult this would be, but I know GM's were able to do it for people before when CoH first came back and was mostly just social. 

• Like 1

Any aura / shield effect would light it up anyway.  "Look at me!  I'm a disembodied pair of fists and a cloak". 

Teammate:  Here, take an Ice Shield.

*paints ice around the full skeleton, visible or not*

Same with Thermal Shields, Stealth, Any armor toggle, any heal spell hitting you that glows around you, etc. 

I really think you'd be disappointed with the result, unless they re-coded the animations for damn near every power in the game to compensate. 

That right there is a good reason not to do it, IMHO.

It's also why, as much as I reallllly want a Martial Arts Scrapper with a lower-snake-body, I don't expect to ever see it. 

And that's even with Snakes in the game as an existing resource. 

One of the other COH server groups out there has this option as well as translucent, and I've played around with it and love it.  If they can figure out how to keep it from being OP in PVP I see no reason not to. It's an option for those who want it, ignorable for those who don't.

• Like 1

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

On 4/7/2021 at 1:50 PM, MTeague said:

Any aura / shield effect would light it up anyway.  "Look at me!  I'm a disembodied pair of fists and a cloak". 

Teammate:  Here, take an Ice Shield.

*paints ice around the full skeleton, visible or not*

Same with Thermal Shields, Stealth, Any armor toggle, any heal spell hitting you that glows around you, etc. 

I really think you'd be disappointed with the result, unless they re-coded the animations for damn near every power in the game to compensate. 

That right there is a good reason not to do it, IMHO.

It's also why, as much as I reallllly want a Martial Arts Scrapper with a lower-snake-body, I don't expect to ever see it. 

And that's even with Snakes in the game as an existing resource. 

I mean sure but that already happens for stealth powers and stuff anyways. Plus I'm sure the auras and powers making the body outline would be used a lot for costume ideas.

PvP is the only issue I see but I'm sure they could have invis costumes pieces refer to default in PvP, or just give an outline in PvP areas.   But really invis costume or not, your targeting would still pick them up if they're not using an invis power.

The new shoulders update is cool but it only really opens up a few more costume ideas. Things like this or gender neutral costume pieces for huge models would open up MANY new character ideas. But yeah they'd have to figure something out for PvP for sure. lol 

On 4/7/2021 at 9:02 AM, CU_Krow said:

Cool concept/idea, but don't think the implementation would look good for quite a few powersets/attack abilities (e.g. kinetic melee, martial arts, SJ, katana,). And for those reasons, I say no.

But that happens with invis power toons anyways. It's something you'd have to work around for your toons design.  I mean you wouldn't be forced to use it but I'm sure many others would want to use it themselves. lol

Edited by TheLeprechaun89

6 minutes ago, TheLeprechaun89 said:

But really invis costume or not, your targeting would still pick them up if they're not using an invis power.

Tab targeting would still cycle through the targets nearby that the character trying to acquire target has perception of. A lot of people use click targeting, using the mouse to target individuals, especially in large matches or zone as it is faster than tabbing through and getting the wrong target.

Because of that most pvpers don't tab target, it's usually click targeting or building macros for each potential target. This is important in coordinating spikes on comms so that multiple people engage the same target at the same time.

Because of this, if your suggestion went through it would completely change the costume meta for PvP in that everyone would have invisible costumes on, and that's not a good thing, as someone with a normal costume is now at a disadvantage.

There was a bug in-game that lasted about four days on Live that allowed one to make a character with an invisible left hand, so of course I made a Dual Pistols character.  I don't recall being disappointed with something like an aura showing where the hand would have been (if nothing else it was quite the conversation piece).  There was also another bug for about a week that let your character;'s torso mostly disappear too, but that looked sort of dumb (although obviously I had one of those too!).

Anyway, we already have headless characters, this doesn't seem that crazy otherwise.  You can limit PVP costume choices, or maybe just limit the number of allowable inviso-pieces per toon too.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

23 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Tab targeting would still cycle through the targets nearby that the character trying to acquire target has perception of. A lot of people use click targeting, using the mouse to target individuals, especially in large matches or zone as it is faster than tabbing through and getting the wrong target.

Because of that most pvpers don't tab target, it's usually click targeting or building macros for each potential target. This is important in coordinating spikes on comms so that multiple people engage the same target at the same time.

Because of this, if your suggestion went through it would completely change the costume meta for PvP in that everyone would have invisible costumes on, and that's not a good thing, as someone with a normal costume is now at a disadvantage.

I also made other suggestion for solutions, not just the part you quoted. 😉

• Like 1