Mastermind pets and recharge buffs/debuffs: proposed change

As it stand, mastermind pets can not benefit from recharge buffs, like speed boost. So far as I know, this was done to stop them from getting into a rut of only spamming their weak, basic attack nonstop, as it would be constantly refreshed.

I propose the following change. Remove the blanket immunity to recharge modification from the pets. Then, simply make their basic attack (and brawl for ranged pets) immune to recharge modification. This would allow them to enjoy the vast majority of the benefits of recharge mod powers and effects while removing the thing that made it untenable.

While this would largely be a big buff, it is a nerf as well. That immunity does go both ways, by removing it it also opens up the pets to suffering from recharge debuffs that we currently laugh at in mastermind.

If that’s the way their AI works, I’d think they would just get stuck in a rut of overusing their second-weakest attack.

Yeha, would have to change the AI a bit to add priority to their attacks.  Heavy attacks first, then secondary, then weak.

If that’s the way their AI works, I’d think they would just get stuck in a rut of overusing their second-weakest attack.

Yeha, would have to change the AI a bit to add priority to their attacks.  Heavy attacks first, then secondary, then weak.

I doubt it would be necessary. In fact, I believe the problem was a bit overblown.  I used to run mercs with a buddy who played a /kin corruptor and never had much in the way of problems. It's possible that it was a bigger deal with other primaries though.  Plus, even if they don't perfectly use the improved cooldowns, it would still almost certainly be a buff.

I'll admit, I am no code expert, but this seems like it would be a very easy thing to test.

If it can be done, I'm all for restoring Recharge effects to pets. However, I remember reading that pet AI was just so sensitive to adjustments that it basically broke without careful micromanagement of their power recharge timers.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

If it can be done, I'm all for restoring Recharge effects to pets. However, I remember reading that pet AI was just so sensitive to adjustments that it basically broke without careful micromanagement of their power recharge timers.

They were not too specific. All I remember is that I had just gotten the cash together to get the IO that procs increased recharge on my Commando and two weeks later this patch got run through. I never had any trouble with it, I can't recall anyone in RO having trouble with it either. I am going off of memory of things nearly 10 years ago though.