First time scrapper here with a few questions

Psilencer

Hi all,

I have never played a scrapper before and I have a few questions. 

I have a character concept that is pretty near and dear to my heart (a characters that I have had for like 20+ years going back to the pencil and paper game GURPS Supers).  I have rolled him as a mind/psy dominator and its cool, but I want to try going in another direction.

I'm considering rolling him up as a scrapper or a brute.  I get that brutes typically have higher survivability and maybe a more constant flow of damage, but scrappers have a higher damage ceiling (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

I was going to go with Psy/something.  I'm not too sure of what secondary to take.  I was thinking WP, Inv (mostly because they aren't too graphic) or perhaps EA (I could role play the energy aura as a psychic shield).  I don't want to take something like Ice, Stone or Bio due to the graphics not really going with my concept.

Is Psy a pretty decent primary?

What would a Psy/something have over a brute of the same build?

What secondary would pair well with Psy? 

Ty in advance!

Hi all,

I have never played a scrapper before and I have a few questions.

Hi, welcome to Scrapperdom. 

I have a character concept that is pretty near and dear to my heart (a character that I have had for like 20+ years going back to the pencil and paper game GURPS Supers).  I have rolled him as a mind/psy dominator and it's cool, but I want to try going in another direction.

I'm considering rolling him up as a scrapper or a brute.  I get that brutes typically have higher survivability and maybe a more constant flow of damage, but scrappers have a higher damage ceiling (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

Brutes are generally more survivable, you’re right on the money there. Brutes have the Tankers resistance cap of 90% while Scrappers damage resistance cap is lower, at 75%. Brutes also have higher base hp, and a higher hp cap. As far as damage goes, though, you have that part a bit backwards. The same way that a Brute has a higher dam res cap than Scrappers, they also have the highest damage cap in the game. Not that any can reach said damage cap without outside assistance. (Buffs and such) Brutes also have to contend with fury generation and decay for their damage. Their base damage is lower than Scrappers, so in the beginning of a fight, they would deal less damage, but as they are attacked, and they attack, they build fury, which improves their damage output. Scrappers begin dealing a certain amount of damage and maintain that, with the exception of criticals.

I was going to go with Psy/something.  I'm not too sure of what secondary to take.  I was thinking WP, Inv (mostly because they aren't too graphic) or perhaps EA (I could role play the energy aura as a psychic shield).  I don't want to take something like Ice, Stone or Bio due to the graphics not really going with my concept.

While I have only played Psi once, it is a very good set. Most mobs do not resist it, but the ones that do, (robots), do so heavily.

The only advantage I could see Scrapper Psi having over Brute Psi, is that because of Brutes lower damage modifier, they normally do not get the full effect of +dam buffs, like in build up powers. 

Out of the three armors you mentioned you were interested in, I would play the Energy Aura as a Scrapper, as Defensive sets have little difference between the melee AT’s. 45% def is softcap whether you’re a Brute, Tank, Scrapper or Stalker. If you were to play any of the other armors though, I’d say roll a Brute. One of the powers in /Ea is Energy Cloak, which makes you invisible. You could roleplay that you were using your mind to block yourself from peoples sight.

Ty in advance!

No Problem, hope I didn’t get sidetracked too much.

P.S.

I suck at formatting.

Psy melee is fine enough, especially for a casual play. 

Scrappers, having a lower +resist cap, generally do better with defense pools (easier to stack set io bonuses to maximize power values), but can do just fine with +res pools as well with creative set io slotting.

Really, just run through and try everything! They are really tough, and after some getting comfortable with them, you might end up in Scrapperlock mentality and never go back.

On 4/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, Psilencer said:

I believe WP and Inv both have minimal FX settings so they don't look obvious.

But two other sets that are great on a Scrapper are Super Reflexes and Shield Defense. Shield has an option (I believe it's under Elemental/Energy) that you can color to match your Psi attacks and would look like you're using a Psi shield.

SR has an absolutely minimal FX setting where you won't have any visual stuff cluttering your costume and you can role-play it like you're using your psi abilities to deflect attacks. Or you can color it to match your attacks. Plus you get a boost to speed and recharge that brings your attacks back faster.

SR and Shield are both easy to maximize your defense as high as a Brute could get. WP and Invuln can't get as high of resist values as a Brute and since Scrappers have less HP they get less regen.

Like Gobbledygook says, Scrappers are always at max damage and get crits on top of that. Brutes start every map at the absolute bottom of the damage scale and ramp up as fights go on to do almost match Scrappers, but can do a lot more if they have teammates who buff damage output.

I prefer Scrappers because it's always a bummer on a Brute to clobber something with your big punch, run to an elevator and then to the next spawn, punch it with the big punch, and have it barely notice.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 8:00 AM, Psilencer said:

Yes.  I'm in the "Skip Boggle" camp, but others have found it useful for their play-style.  The general impact of "mobs resist psi!" is greatly over-stated save some outlier cases like Siege and Nightstar with their 70% resistance.

Burst damage, and lots of it.  Greater Psi Blade with Insight Up and a Critical Hit is a sight to behold.  Mass Lev Crits are also quite potent, in general when a Psi attack crits, something is getting hurt badly. Psi Scrappers melt hard targets.  Also, I tend to prefer faster attacking sets on Brutes because of the old days when attacking constantly was necessary to keep up Fury.  Psi is a slower set, GPB and ML are the set's high water marks, and the activation times on both are quite long.

Seriously. Shield. 😄

Here's a version of the scrapper I mentioned in your thread asking about the pairing on Brutes.

• Like 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

3 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Yes.  I'm in the "Skip Boggle" camp, but others have found it useful for their play-style.  The general impact of "mobs resist psi!" is greatly over-stated save some outlier cases like Siege and Nightstar with their 70% resistance.

Burst damage, and lots of it.  Greater Psi Blade with Insight Up and a Critical Hit is a sight to behold.  Mass Lev Crits are also quite potent, in general when a Psi attack crits, something is getting hurt badly. Psi Scrappers melt hard targets.  Also, I tend to prefer faster attacking sets on Brutes because of the old days when attacking constantly was necessary to keep up Fury.  Psi is a slower set, GPB and ML are the set's high water marks, and the activation times on both are quite long.

Seriously. Shield. 😄

Here's a version of the scrapper I mentioned in your thread asking about the pairing on Brutes.

Still need to give this one a go!

I got into the math on Boggle recently, skip it, iv been meaning to post my findings but even in optimal pro boggle setups, boggle is at BEST a 5% increase in dps, and that's assuming some REALLY specific slotting, and perfect execution. You literally get more out of taking Assault from Leadership. Trust me I WANTED to prove boggle was worth, i did everything I could to try and make it worth, its just not.

Psi Melee is a lot of fun and the insight mechanic gives an interest play style where yer goal is to cram in as many attacks as possible before getting GSB off before it wares off ( 15 seconds is your window )

Energy Aura is very high performing, seriously i feel its ALMOST over tuned, not quite, but definitely an outlier. It also recolors to a telekinetic barrier well. Same for Invul and Willpower. As mentioned Super Reflexes works well too and is easily explained a precog and reading your opponents move ahead of time. After all that's how Farsight on Widows works.

Brutes wont ever compete with an equivalently slotted scrapper in raw damage, its the mid step between scrapper and tanker, basically as intended.

Heres my psi/fire scrapper im working on leveling currnetly based loosely on Awakened lore.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Akasha PSFISC: Level 50 Technology Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Psi Blade -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(21)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), RctArm-ResDam(3), RctArm-EndRdx(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(5), StdPrt-ResKB(7)
Level 2: Telekinetic Blow -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Rchg(29), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(33), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 4: Mighty Leap -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 6: Blazing Aura -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 8: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 10: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11)
Level 12: Temperature Protection -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), RctArm-ResDam(13), RctArm-EndRdx(15), GldArm-3defTpProc(15)
Level 14: Weaken Resolve -- HO:Lyso(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(31), TchofLadG-%Dam(31), ShlBrk-%Dam(33)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), RctArm-ResDam(17), RctArm-EndRdx(19)
Level 18: Concentration -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(43)
Level 20: Consume -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36), PrfShf-End%(37)
Level 22: Unleash Potential -- HO:Membr(A), HO:Membr(23), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23), Prv-Heal(25), Prv-Heal/Rchg(27), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(27)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 26: Greater Psi Blade -- HO:Nucle(A), Hct-Dmg(33), Hct-Dam%(34), UnbCns-Dam%(34), GldNet-Dam%(34), TchofDth-Dam%(36)
Level 28: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), Arm-Dmg(37), Arm-Dam%(39), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(39), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(40)
Level 30: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 32: Mass Levitate -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(37), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), ScrDrv-Dam%(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(49)
Level 35: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 38: Rise of the Phoenix -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 41: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(42), RctArm-ResDam(42), RctArm-EndRdx(42)
Level 44: Weave -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(45), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(46), Ksm-ToHit+(46)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(47), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(47), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(48), Rct-ResDam%(48)
Level 49: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Brawl -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(9), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), EndMod-I(7)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
------------

Edited by Koopak