Swappable Builds

Mia Mind

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the active builds swappable in game. As I get near completing what feels like a decent Psi/MM/Fire Blaster build I am wondering if I just start thinking about specific builds based on what I plan on doing.

For example:
Is it worth having a build focused fully on damage at the cost of some survivability when grouping?
What about a build more focused on solo or doing flashbacks.

Is this something people find useful and are there target stats based on the mission, solo/group/flash back?

Finally should the flashback build attune IOs and the 50 group build raise IOs to +4?

Thanks

Hello Mia,

Unclear based on what you are trying to get done. The main issue with swapping builds is that you need to then build the character two or more times which can get quite expensive and a big bother.

Personally i don't use the build swaps for anything more than having a fully unslotted build of "what does this power do?" if the description is unclear and just use 1 build for everything. If i want a dramatically different build i will swap characters as it costs the same to build a second build vs a whole new character.

On play areas:

Flashbacks: Just be careful on your power pick order when you make your build to get up and running at the lowest possible level even if it takes a respec to get everything in the right order. Note that you still get your powers for 5 lvls over your scaled level and your IOs really make any half decent build perform abnormally well for an actual character of that lvl

Survivability: With a blaster there are not many good ways to increase damage outside of power and incarnate choice. As a result your enhancement build ends up going for recharge and survivability after you soft cap slotted damage. If you really want to swap around survivability tradeoffs for group support i would say to just pick up t3 barrier, t3 ageless, t3 assault and t3 melee (perhaps musculature and agility) and swap out based on what your doing. This would still keep a single "build" and get you your room for fiddling.

The whole team vs solo is yes you will have a much smaller chance of getting focused and some leadership buffs but if the team scatters or some npc rolls decently on an attack you dont just fall over. 

Target stats for anything boil down to approaching the goals:

Enough endurance to function (be it building for endurance of trusting in blue inspirations and recovery serum)

Enough recharge to use all your powers as often as you need to

As near soft cap defenses on s/l/e/n as viable

As high resistance as possible

Any unique enhancements you need to work (your epic fire so you need the kb to kd slotted, important procs and the blaster specific enhancements are win)

This is exactly what I do!

I really like to focus on one character and minimize alt-itis. So dumping a lot of influence into three builds is no big deal.

I usually make one Ranged Blaster and have him Exemplar friendly. Then a melee Blapper. And a PvP build. 
Though I may drop the PvP build because I haven’t PvP’d in many years.

Also, you can macro the build swap. Just make sure to turn your toggles back on!

/macro B1 select_build 1

Thanks for the replies and sorry for any confusion.

Flat Line summed up my thoughts better than I. 

I want to have a main I can hunt badges with, whether I need a group or a solo run.

I wasn't sure if builds could be significantly different to offer an advantage depending on the circumstance, so a strong solo build that might do less damage than a group build. It sounds like the right build works well enough everywhere.

Cost isn't an issue, not because I am rich, but because an expensive build is something to work towards, even if it takes months to get there, for me that is part of the fun.  I am still saving to attune and get the purple sets to +4 (or is it +5?)

As I think about this maybe a solo build takes the medicine pool and a group build takes teleport pool?
Or a group build takes vengeance, but the solo build takes something else.

Maybe I am over thinking this or looking at it like other games that offer multi specs.

Anyways appreciate others thoughts/opinions/ideas.

Thanks

This is only in the context of blasters.

PvE vs PvP build would be the only reason. You can plan a build out to be survivable, maximum exemplar friendly, and do good damage without needing alternate builds. I always plan my blaster builds to have their defenses matured by level 30 and still have a respectable attack rotation. Proc monster builds eek out a bit more performance damage wise under very specific conditions. However, I find that they are not usually worth it since you can build a tank mage and do regular blaster level damage which is already enough to erase stuff, and be way more survivable without needing incarnates to plug it's many holes. There is nothing stopping you from that approach and dedicating a build off the beaten path like those proc monster, damage/recharge oriented and more team dependent builds, but I just find my general tank mage builds a one-size-fits-all PvE solution that performs above average vs any content thrown at them.

PvP builds on the other hand has a whole different set of build focus and priorities from set bonuses to power picks themselves. They will need an alternate build.

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

I run two builds on my fire/fire main. One build is optimized for aoe damage, grouping for lower level task forces, and Ouro content. Another is more survivable and aimed at speed run TF's and/or soloing. 

@Mia Mindyes you can boost to +5 and for the most part my alt builds that existed on Live or planned here are primarily support characters usually defenders primarily for solo vs team play.  My main, a Claws/SR scrapper, was not a support character and her alt build(s) focused on power choice differences and focus of the build.  One, the primary, focused on survival via high health and passive regen while the 2nd build focused on global recharge.  All my builds tend to be built with the intention of being able to exemplar well.

• Thanks 1