Minimal FX option for all toggles. Especially Leadership Pool

Foxbat40

For certain Character designs it is nice to have a minimal amount of FX so that you can use the Auras and costume designer to make the visuals you want rather than the ones dictated by the power set. In order to do this we need a Minimal FX option for every toggle. This doesn't require any extra art just a no visual option. 

One of the biggest offenders is the Leadership Pool. These powers all have a visual aura that doesn't doesn't fit any aesthetic as it can't be changed disabled or tinted. A floating shield is information that belongs on the buff bar not floating around our character. 

Please provide a Minimal FX option for the Leadership Pool as a test case. Then expand this to all toggle powers as time permits. 

• Like 8

Buff powers are not like armors.

There's a reason you can't put invisible thermal shields on somebody, or invisible force fields, or invisible ice shields.

It's so there are visible indicators that a character is currently under the effects of your buff.

Leadership is no different.

5 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Buff powers are not like armors.

There's a reason you can't put invisible thermal shields on somebody, or invisible force fields, or invisible ice shields.

It's so there are visible indicators that a character is currently under the effects of your buff.

Leadership is no different.

Well, it is called MinFX and not NoFX.  And there already is a MinFX option for ice shields btw.  You can also tint thermal shields and force fields so that they are close to invisible.  On some other powers though, the tinting doesn't work all that well at toning them down (like ice shields before there was a MinFX version). 

As to knowing which buffs are on you, there is always the buff bar to see (and control) which buffs you have on you.  Honestly,  I don't use that either.  What I depend on is monitoring combat attributes which gives a much more clear accounting of what is going on with your stats than any visual effect of a power.  Not all buffs are even close to the same (defenders are going to matter a lot more than a blasters for instance), so depending on the visual effect of the buff I find pretty worthless anyway.

Edit:  Another issue of how worthless the graphical effect of buffs are is when it comes to multiple of the same buff from different casters.  You could have 1 leadership toggle buff going on you, or you could have 8 affecting you.  Going to be hard to see the difference from any graphical indication on your character.  You'll know only from the buff bar or from monitoring combat attributes.  Of course I guess the argument could be made that the effects should actually be made 8 times as intense in that case.   😄

Edited by Riverdusk

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

Well, it is called MinFX and not NoFX. 

I mean, the Leadership toggles, which are apparently the focus here, are already pretty "MinFX".  I'm not sure how you'd make them any less graphically intensive without making them invisible entirely.

Edited by Lazarillo

Yeeeep. These floaty graphics are terrible and is there even one person that actually wants to look at them? 

Also many 'min fx' are totally invisible. Not all (particulary big time auras keep something), but plenty.

Edited by DeepSky
  • Like 2

spacer.png

22 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

I mean, the Leadership toggles, which are apparently the focus here, are already pretty "MinFX".  I'm not sure how you'd make them any less graphically intensive without making them invisible entirely.

The leadership powers are not minimal at all. They have motion color and brightness and we can't change any of them. We already see them on the buff bar we don't need to see them in world. Have you ever seen a comic book where the character is drawn with buffs floating around them ?

This is low hanging fruit. Perhaps make these use their normal FX when doing PVP. Otherwise in PVE let us minimize them. 

Edited by Foxbat40

Having more MinFX options that allow for more muted effects of powers would be great! I have a character who's highly resistant to heat, but thematically wouldn't constantly be on fire, and another character who has a radiation-proof suit that would benefit from having less gas and bubbles coming off him.

Bu as far as 'NoFX' goes? I'd only reserve that for powers that only affect self, and only in PvE. It's quite handy to see what buffs have been cast on allies, or what toggles somebody is using in PvP, but 'MinFX' would likely still be okay.

• Like 1

My first reaction was no thanks I like the visual cue.  But on thinking about it further I'd be fine with it, especially with toggles.  I'm not recasting toggles, I turn them on and mostly forget about other than occasionally noting "Ooo, 6 Maneuvers showing in the team window".  The effects I'm more concerned about are click buffs and again I'm usually watching icons in the team ui.  I've gone chunks of whole fights barely seeing anything but the team ui while on my Empath.  Especially in that situation seeing the graphic is often close to impossible anyway.