cityofheroes.exe runs at Below Normal in Task Manager. Is there a way to bump it up to at least Normal?

TorontoSunshine

This is a problem I had when I was on Live (Virtue Server) but back then I had a gaming desktop so it really didn't matter: I had the horsepower for it back then. I'm now on a middle of the road laptop that runs Homecoming CoX (HCoX) fine....when I run nothing else. When something starts running, HCoX lags behind like a sullen child on his first day back to school after the summer vacation's over. Even when my Chrome browser loads a web page, the game slows down.

The reason this happens is not because of specs, but because of task priority: HCoX runs at Below Normal. I've tried to change the priority of cityofheroes.exe in Task Manager to at least Normal but it won't stick, even under an Administrator account.

Any suggestions? 

Edited by TorontoSunshine
Sh???y grammar.

42 minutes ago, TorontoSunshine said:

This is a problem I had when I was on Live (Virtue Server) but back then I had a gaming desktop so it really didn't matter: I had the horsepower for it back then. I'm now on a middle of the road laptop that runs Homecoming CoX (HCoX) fine....when I run nothing else. When something starts running, HCoX lags behind like a sullen child on his first day back to school after the summer vacation's over. Even when my Chrome browser loads a web page, the game slows down.

The reason this happens is not because of specs, but because of task priority: HCoX runs at Below Normal. I've tried to change the priority of cityofheroes.exe in Task Manager to at least Normal but it won't stick, even under an Administrator account.

Any suggestions? 

Computer Make, Model and Specs will probably be needed to answer this question.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

• City Council
3 hours ago, TorontoSunshine said:

The reason this happens is not because of specs, but because of task priority: HCoX runs at Below Normal.

This is most likely not true, unless you have a program in your computer messing with proces priority or taking focus away from COH yet somehow letting you control it -- gaming overlay maybe?

COH sets itself to Below Normal when it's not the foreground application, so whenever you check Task Manager, it will of course be with COH in the background and appear as Below Normal. If you go to the Details tab and add a Priority column there, then swap to COH, you will see it switch to Normal whenever it has focus, and Below Normal when it doesn't.

You can use the slash command /priorityboost 1 to make COH run at Above Normal while it has focus, but again, as soon as it is put in the foreground it will drop back to Below Normal.

• Like 1

Are you monitoring the game's priority when another window has focus, such as the task manager itself? When the game window does not have focus, it's priority drops. 

Edit: Sniped!

Edited by UberGuy

13 hours ago, Faultline said:

You can use the slash command /priorityboost 1 to make COH run at Above Normal while it has focus, but again, as soon as it is put in the foreground it will drop back to Below Normal.

Is this a parameter I pass to cityofheroes.exe?

To answer your question about overlays, no I don't use one. I don't even use process hack as someone suggested yesterday I should use.

Reference to process hack.

13 hours ago, UberGuy said:

Are you monitoring the game's priority when another window has focus, such as the task manager itself? When the game window does not have focus, it's priority drops. 

Edit: Sniped!

That is correct. I was trying to find a way to speed it up a bit as it lags sometimes and while going in Task Manager I discovered that.

• City Council
47 minutes ago, TorontoSunshine said:

Is this a parameter I pass to cityofheroes.exe?

You type it in the chat window. If you want to add it to the client parameters, use a dash: -priorityboost 1

Once again though: in the Task Manager (with the avanced view on, with extra tabs) go to the Details tab, then edit the columns to add a Priority column there. You wil most likely see that the game runs on Normal priority (or Above Normal, with priority boost) as long as it's the foreground window.

18 minutes ago, Faultline said:

You type it in the chat window. If you want to add it to the client parameters, use a dash: -priorityboost 1

All right, I added a column in the Task manager to show priority and then added -priorityboost 1 to the launcher. I've seen no change to the priority status (Below Normal) in Task Manager and when I type /priorityboost with no number in the chat window, it shows a value of 1. 

Apparently I can enter any number with no error message because entering /priorityboost 999 in chat returns a value of 999 when /priorityboost is entered without a number..

I have a suspicion that Windows 10 might be intervening. 

clarification to 999 reference

• City Council

If you are looking at the task manager while the game is on the foreground (that is, run the game as a window, have Task Manager next to it and then click on the game) it really should show you the priority changing to Above Normal. It will always show Below Normal when it's not the foreground task.

If you are 100% certain that Task Manager shows Below Normal while the game is your foreground window, the next step is to use something like Autohotkey to determine what is the foreground task. But I can't think of anything that would do that outside of gaming overlays or something else that wants to draw on top of the active window.

2 minutes ago, Faultline said:

If you are looking at the task manager while the game is on the foreground (that is, run the game as a window, have Task Manager next to it and then click on the game) it really should show you the priority changing to Above Normal. It will always show Below Normal when it's not the foreground task.

If you are 100% certain that Task Manager shows Below Normal while the game is your foreground window, the next step is to use something like Autohotkey to determine what is the foreground task. But I can't think of anything that would do that outside of gaming overlays or something else that wants to draw on top of the active window.

All right, let me work on that. I'm looking at other options like re-installing HCoX on SSD storage: I just ordered a 512GB flash drive and waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks for your help.

Mostly running it from SSD will ensure that it loads faster, which can help a bit with things like zoning. It really shouldn't improve the overall in-game experience. (It's not impossible, but the things I can think of that an SSD would help with would involve your computer being under severe memory stress and having to swap in-memory things in and out to disk constantly.)

8 hours ago, UberGuy said:

Mostly running it from SSD will ensure that it loads faster, which can help a bit with things like zoning. It really shouldn't improve the overall in-game experience. (It's not impossible, but the things I can think of that an SSD would help with would involve your computer being under severe memory stress and having to swap in-memory things in and out to disk constantly.)

This. If your computer came pre-loaded with bloatware from the manufacture you may have to do some digging and find out what "features" you can uninstall. You may have pointless programs running in the background that only benefit the manufacture and are preventing CoH from running as you wish.  

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

On 4/29/2021 at 12:41 PM, TorontoSunshine said:

I've seen no change to the priority status (Below Normal) in Task Manager and when I type /priorityboost with no number in the chat window, it shows a value of 1. 

You can set the Task Manager to "stay on top" btw. Doing this, you Should be able to test the above, but I wouldn't recommend playing that way unless it's on another monitor or you have enough screen space (higher resolution than 1080p).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)