Odd Disciple Badge tracking behavior

ZekeStenzland

There's a plaque in Boomtown near loc [-2654.1 0.1 3057.3]. Vidiot Maps has it marked as Plaque #2.

If you haven't clicked on any Disciple plaques before when you click on this one, it adds the "Learn the history of Hero Corps" progress badge to the Badge >> History tab with no progress bar.

If you click on all the other Disciple plaques in Boomtown, Steel Canyon, Skyway, and Faultline/Echo Faultline -- without clicking on Boomtown Plaque #2 --  it correctly adds the "Learn the history of Hero Corps" progress badge and tracks X of 6 for you. And you can get the Disciple badge, again without clicking Boomtown Plaque #2.

If it's not the first, nor the last Disciple plaque, clicking it has no effect on the Disciple progress bar.

Not sure if the bug is that there's supposed to be 7 plaques for Disciple and that one isn't hooked up correctly. Or there's only supposed to be 6 badges for Disciple and that plaque spuriously adds the Disciple progress bar.  

1 hour ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Not sure if the bug is that there's supposed to be 7 plaques for Disciple and that one isn't hooked up correctly.

Long story short, I think this is what is happening.

Long story long:

Spoiler

I made a couple of test characters on Brainstorm and confirmed the behavior documented in paragraphs 2 and 3 of the OP.

The internal badge tag for the Disciple badge is 'HeroCorps'. I checked the game geometry data file for the badges/plaques in Boomtown (Hazard_02_01_layer_Badge_Tourism.txt) and it contains three plaque entities called 'HeroCorps3', 'HeroCorps4', and 'HeroCorps5'. The coordinates of those entities correspond to the coordinates of the three Boomtown Disciple plaques listed on the wiki (within a couple of feet).

The Talk page of the Disciple badge wiki page (https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Talk:Disciple_Badge) notes this bug as far back as 2008, and an editor's note was added for the plaque in question on 18-June-2010 stating that this plaque was no longer required for the Disciple badge.

While it is technically true that the plaque in question is no longer required for the Disciple badge, I don't think that is intended. I think the Disciple badge is meant to require visits to 7 plaques, and that the plaque in question simply isn't registering in the progress counter correctly. I think the best evidence for this is that, as noted in paragraph 2 of the OP (and which I confirmed, see screenshot below), clicking the plaque in question, prior to clicking any other Disciple plaques, adds the "Learn the history of Hero Corps" progress badge to the Badge >> History tab with no progress bar. I also think the presence of three 'HeroCorps' plaque entities in the Boomtown geometry data supports this notion.

disciple_boomtown.thumb.jpg.6d8e7e38d259375f155bb27443c42a13.jpg

• Like 1