Sentinel Ice/Ice

Pouncy

Hi. Here is my Sentinel Ice blast/ Ice armor Named Skate.  And yes she is a themed character.

screenshot_210523-22-53-01.thumb.jpg.87d589a71fa8567cf15d4241ad49582b.jpg

And just so we don't get off topic I am looking for a build NOT recommendations for another AT combo. 

Not really good at sifting through the forums and finding what I am after in all of its overwhemingness.  But I have not found a build for this specific combo.  Been toying in Mids for a bit with this but not all that confident.

Any comment related to this direct inquiry would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you a lot in advance,

Pouncy

An Ounce of Pounce is worth a Pound of Bounce.

Ice Armor on Sentinels isn't very popular and so the amount of actual builds that get tossed around are next to nothing.  There is a poster on Reddit that absolutely loves Ice Armor across all ATs, but I'd take some grains of salt with the advice.  

Anyway, you mention you're not too confident with Mids but not exactly on what.  A build is fundamentally a problem solving exercise.  Like finding a pathway to 45% *is* a problem to solve.  Including more damage or more resistances are as well.  Combining multiple elements into a final product adds complexity and difficulty to the mix.  

So without knowing any of your preferences, like travel power, or specifics to what you're having an issue with further help is... hard.  However, there is still room to help you out by giving you some direction and general guidance (or so I hope).  I'm also assuming you know nothing about any of the below.  So apologies in advance if this is too much or explaining basics you're aware of.   This is longer than I originally hoped, but builds without commentary aren't often helpful.  Ice/Ice is a combo that can work against itself with some build decisions, and this post wouldn't feel complete if I didn't address some powers in the Secondary.  

Below in the spoiler is just a framework of what I consider to be basic building blocks here for resolving the defense problem.  This is a starting point.   Red Fortune 3pc is selected merely as illustration.  It is not intended to be commentary on merits of the set.  It is generally easy to acquire, but Reactive Defenses has the same 2pc bonus but hit points for the 3pc.  Hit points can potentially be capped by Hoarfrost and Accolades so that path wasn't interesting to me in the moment.  

3 toggle defense powers have a unique.  These are optional, but good ideas to have (Kismet, Reactive defense, Shield Wall).  

Only Tough and Icy Bastion are taken and they are slotted for illustration.  Why?  Aegis has a hefty Fire and Cold defense bonus.  This is a feature Ice Armor lacks.  So two 3pc sets gets you a reasonable boost here.  The two 3% uniques in Tough add 6% more defense to all.  Permafrost was not taken, but it can mule another Aegis to bump F/C defense to 24%.  Other than that, Permafrost isn't that great of a power.  

Hoarfrost is slotted only to illustrate a set I happen to like.  The full 6pc bonus is great for recharge, but 2-3pc are good too.  The unique in that set doesn't need you to activate it.  

So with the skeleton below, Smashing, Lethal, Energy, and Negative are all at 33.55%.  Fire and Cold are at 21.72%.  You don't need to worry about any of the rest.  The Psionic hole isn't worth chasing.  The resistances don't get a whole lot better either but Icy Bastion is the reason to play Sentinel Ice Armor (and Hoarfrost, really).  

So, where can this go to get that wonderful 45% defense rating?  

Hover or Combat Jumping + Link Minds + Moisture Absorption = just shy of 45% to 4 out of the 6 defense types already mentioned.  Fire and Cold would require more investment.  Specifically, Permafrost with an Aegis set and likely some Winter IO sets in some attacks.  The Sentinel ATOs will also cap your S/L/E/N defenses with everything already mentioned.

Do you need 45% on Ice Armor?  I don't think so, but it depends if you want to Hover or not.  When I tested this combo in 2019 it felt reasonably durable at range and especially so when Icy Bastion was active.  One test run build had 45% defense which is a noticeable improvement, but the other was around 32-35% which was tolerable (small purple inspirations can cap it). 

I just added some basic slots to the attacks with no recommendation on specific sets.  I put 6 slots into Bitter Freeze Ray since you could run a 5 slot Apocalypse plus 1 Unbreakable Constraint (the smash proc).  That power can take on two purple damage procs which boosts its effectiveness greatly.  Whether or not you decide to proc out all of the other attacks is preference.  I'd consider either recharge boosting sets or whatever defenses you feel you need to raise.  

Note; for Incarnate options, Ice Armor on Sentinels does not need Agility to softcap, at all.  It can help, but it is not necessary.  This means you could run Musculature for the Alpha slot to add more damage which the build will lack a bit if you go ham on defense stacking.  Ice Blast can feel like a bit of a drain on endurance depending on how you slot it.  So Ageless Destiny is still helpful to cover that.  

Powers skipped weren't commentaries on their value but they are not what I would call "must haves".  I do not think the following are needed: 

- Ice Blast - this takes a backseat to Ice Bolt given how Opportunity works

- Frost Breath - some don't like it, but I love it; I especially love the alternate animation. 

- Frigid Shield - Not sure if this is still bugged but its absorb was minor. If this was fixed, then it could be decent.  It shouldn't need much slotting.  2pc Preventative Medicine gets you some S/L resist. 

- Moisture Absorption - Don't really need it and the end return isn't great.  It can help with a soft-cap focus build if you have the power slots for it.  

- Permafrost - generally not necessary but works as a mule. 

- Frost Protection - not really necessary and the HP benefit is eclipsed by Hoarfrost if you can get it permanent. 

Spoiler

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1046;508;1016;HEX;|
|78DA6D53D14E1A5110BD77F7220A08A5620105C5AA506242AAEDBBD16A9BAA24A42|
|67D25046E711B0A84F5A13EA289F10FFA0D7DE98755294D4C4C936AD7D99929DE04|
|6FB2E7B03373CF0C87A1FC7527F2E35D7F53C8E89B56CD75AB87BA7DECB4752B50A|
|E359DBAF04F109EF4FF78F543ADDDD48DD2FBBAAE6EC38DE3B95166477FD26D5763|
|6AABF7A5D313D3954EA7557AEB348FA0A219C3B7035D6BE89E7BE47443F87ED8D5B|
|A11A6C2965F99DEED3AF5D248B5E23AD532F4D1BD93140CB208CF9F82E0E3D9C283|
|2394811388FD3CA425D744E1C3BA125688799AB87007E9AC4209EF022ED8246AD95|
|736164C5C124F0E88FF42E300D5A800B699440C191841BC85CA20B597C13581B723|
|DF2DE433E83445393185D577501D26DD40182351039F18B88288034BF85D627449C|
|430FC0F64E23C5E1C234F0DCC212E219EC30833348235C3EE24D89D4498D806FD59|
|AA51B3AF29F6EC25F32BE25C52A283B90D3248C19D24BB9E64BD14EBA7D8F5FC35D|
|57A306D9ABF741AA79A3370610CE3A03DCFDAF3AC99E11E19D65ED927EDE7509B65|
|FBB36CFF32B378415BE4F75D343C215C36D030FB140C5BE5ED585DE72FC226E4378|
|8BD474E468D5655D0AA7E2EFA8BE96F91E71D8C652B8AB716221223831044A41919|
|3E442CF9917A17F7800BC04B64C0AFB15BBF1F22B6FCA9E80F3064BE212E7EA30DB|
|D079A183E8B|

Edited by oldskool

I also can't give any advice on Ice as a secondary, but I did put a post in the collab thread pinned at the top on Ice as a primary. I think that with a defense/absorb based secondary you should have plenty of wiggle room to stuff procs into your attacks.

Some notes:

• The 11% Smashing damage buff from Chilling Ray sounds good right up until the moment you do the math on its effectiveness with the handful of abilities it applies to. It does stack, but like I said, it applies to only a handful of abilities, and only 1 with a significant amount of Smashing damage. It'd be way more useful if it applied to cold damage instead, but it doesn't.
  • From a sheer damage output stand point, decreasing mob resistance is more potent for a Sentinel than enhancing your own damage. Especially in proc heavy builds. The only way for Ice to do this effectively is with Frost Breath. Yes, there are other ways, but I said effectively. It's end heavy to use it in a single target rotation, but it will increase your damage output.
  • I thought I would have more than 2 notes.

I just toyed around with a build in game and it appears moisture absorption only gets the defensive bonus from a single target.  So much for my ideas.

See below for a thread with useful information.  I'm scrapping any plans to make one.

Edited by Nightmare Shaman

WOO thank fully i downloaded your build.  you should leave it up.

In game it says AoE -- 8 ft. Radius. (5 Targets max)

I was toying around with it, and another one a kind person messaged me.  Was wondering if the recharge is important on Moisture absorb.

it says  Recharge time 1 minute  and the buff lasts 100 seconds or 1:40 and that is empty slotted.  If it can stack on itself that is sweet and I am bout to test it on Brainstorm.

Right now I pulled 2 IOs out a Defense and a recharged and put a Membrane Exposure in. Moved that slot to Ice Bolt for #6 of the set to give me 10% recharge for a total of 160% so i get a bit of that back with no diminish. Mids says the recharge will still be 26.36 seconds

When testing the first build that K... (maybe I shouldn't name her... I'll leave it K)  ... that K sent me I realized the importance of Frostbite to keep things from running out of the blizzard and Ice storm since I dont have a taunt.  So I swapped Ice sward for that and put in the equivalent Purple ... the name is... Gravitational Anchor.

Also discovered that Mids can import a build into the game via the freebiesmenu OMG that is so nice.

SO about done with that build in game and will test in a bit.

------

I tested for a bit and see that Moisture grants only the defense of what it says. it is not multiplied by 5 for the defense aspect.

My END does not move off of full so I don't get a chance to see if it stacks for that aspect. Maybe the - 35 end "damage" is the only aspect that is of use in the AoE. The 4.37% defense is nice and I decided to mule a LoTG 2 set (Global/Defense) Kismit, Reactive,  and put another LotG Global in CJ. But Honestly think Stealth and/or Maneuvers would do better.  So  I will take another day and hack on these. 

Edited by Pouncy
Update on Moisture.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:24 AM, oldskool said:

Below in the spoiler is just a framework of what I consider to be basic building blocks

Its taking me longer to toy with your build but i am getting through it.  You are as long winded as I and I appreciate it be cause we both like not only to make the point clear but to help for future endeavors.. aka teach.  SO i am taking my time on the lesson course you outlined. So thanks very much.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:24 AM, oldskool said:

Ice Blast - this takes a backseat to Ice Bolt given how Opportunity works

After using the 2 builds sent to me I realize I need to learn a lot more about sentinels.  I never had both the t1 powers at the same time and noticed that they each ring different colors red/green.  Like I said this is my first sentinel.

I will have to understand what Opportunity is.  But, from what I think I see is that the red ring give me more damage and that is what I need.  If i remember right Ice Bolt was the red one.

Edited by Pouncy

7 hours ago, Pouncy said:

*snip*

You're welcome.  I saw you posted in the other thread, but Opportunity really isn't that complex when broken down to its most important feature; the resistance debuff.  The more complicated thing about Sentinels is trying to build in more damage within the IO system that doesn't offer much for building in more damage.  This is where the discussions of damage procs come from.  

Ice Blast, as a set, can take a wider range of IO sets like the slow category.  The slow category has a smashing damage proc.  Then there is the PvP toxic proc and other powers may have different effects to add procs from (like holds have 4 available).  These specific IOs are a way to add more sources of damage beyond just the percentage increase.  

The difficultly for building in this manner then becomes a question of how do you resolve higher defenses and higher recharge too.  Some power pairings can do all of this and many cannot.  So, the trade offs come into play and that requires a bit deeper of an understanding of all the power interactions.  

It is all of those reasons as to why my original post was so long and why most of my build discussions are so verbose.  I wish the AT was a bit easier to deal with, but the devs have talked about reviewing the AT.  Likely, whenever they are done ensuring that Blasters and Tankers have all of the buffs they need to trivialize the game by themselves (as if they don't already).  😛 

12 hours ago, Pouncy said:

WOO thank fully i downloaded your build.  you should leave it up.

In game it says AoE -- 8 ft. Radius. (5 Targets max)

I was toying around with it, and another one a kind person messaged me.  Was wondering if the recharge is important on Moisture absorb.

it says  Recharge time 1 minute  and the buff lasts 100 seconds or 1:40 and that is empty slotted.  If it can stack on itself that is sweet and I am bout to test it on Brainstorm.

Right now I pulled 2 IOs out a Defense and a recharged and put a Membrane Exposure in. Moved that slot to Ice Bolt for #6 of the set to give me 10% recharge for a total of 160% so i get a bit of that back with no diminish. Mids says the recharge will still be 26.36 seconds

When testing the first build that K... (maybe I shouldn't name her... I'll leave it K)  ... that K sent me I realized the importance of Frostbite to keep things from running out of the blizzard and Ice storm since I dont have a taunt.  So I swapped Ice sward for that and put in the equivalent Purple ... the name is... Gravitational Anchor.

Also discovered that Mids can import a build into the game via the freebiesmenu OMG that is so nice.

SO about done with that build in game and will test in a bit.

------

I tested for a bit and see that Moisture grants only the defense of what it says. it is not multiplied by 5 for the defense aspect.

My END does not move off of full so I don't get a chance to see if it stacks for that aspect. Maybe the - 35 end "damage" is the only aspect that is of use in the AoE. The 4.37% defense is nice and I decided to mule a LoTG 2 set (Global/Defense) Kismit, Reactive,  and put another LotG Global in CJ. But Honestly think Stealth and/or Maneuvers would do better.  So  I will take another day and hack on these. 

Yeah, after I posted the build I decided to make one just to see how it panned out.  Figured out the bit about moisture absorption which is a real bummer.  It's still a feasible build.  Just not as good as I intended.   For some reason MA is a 10 foot ranged aoe.  I tested it quite a bit on low level mobs.  I think you only get the 4ish defense from a single mob BUT you can get up to 4 additional targets for end drain.  The additional targets require an accuracy check but there is no way to increase accuracy.  It's a really strange power, especially compared to the tank version.

However, the build is still decent.  Just like with ice tanks, the hp is designed to fill in the holes in your defense.  You can feasibly have higher hp than any other sentinel which is very useful.  Add to that the T9 with 30 seconds of around 75% resists and it's pretty solid.  It just seems like an active set which can be a plus or a minus depending on your preferences.  

If you really like that concept, just keep toying with it.  You'll be amazed what you can do once you figure out what you want to prioritize.  This is especially true once incarnates are in the mix.  

I realized I forgot about the 3% def from steadfast protection IO.  Added it to tough and now you have this.  That bumps your melee and ranged defense to 18.1 and 19.3, so fire, cold, and PSI will take those values.  Less than half of the soft-cap, but it's really not bad with the resistances where they are.

S/L at 35% (39% with MA) Energy,NE 45%.  With Your tools (hoarfrost, frost protection, and icy bastion), I think you could really have a solid build.  

1775185734_IceIcesentinel.JPG.514ec5fa230249fdb21781effc5f4193.JPG

Edited by Nightmare Shaman

Here is my 6th hack and Hybrid I finally came up with.  The Energy/neg are still disproportional.  I worked on incorporating all the advice I got, Mainly getting my accuracy up, My recharge up. So I gave in and got Haste so Hoarfrost is now perma with a good buffer.  I drop Stealth and pick it up. 

I was looking at the proc on the Ward ATO and I might want to move it.  If I keep Ice storm I might put the set there. Ice storm needs help its not the best tool in the bag right now.

As advised the Opportunity ATO does almost instantly fill the OPP bar when I cast Blizzard. I might even one slot the Ward proc in the 6ths spot.

Frost Bite is a must for it to have best effect as everthing runs when it or Ice storm are on.

So as it goies I Frost Bite > Ice Storm > BLizzard > then Ice Bolt if OP is full or do Frozen Aura. Moisture Absorb sets me up for next round Even if my end is fine its great defensive  but still working on the routine.  its a real buisy AT

Als you will noticed I moved the Panacea Reg/Rec to Fridgid Shied to have all 3 together. I +5 the 2 that are with it. The game tends to not show the +65 when in a toggle but its working in the battle stats. I am getting 86 Damage shield.

So with no Horfrost or Bastian my base regen is 13.03

With Horfrost its 19.32

With Bastian added its 52.14

The thing I love about ice is when it shifts it makes noise so I get an audible warning when its up.

SO any advice or tweaks would be appreciated.

Also the powers are not in any paticular order.  Just mids was giving me Slot trouble so I made do.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Skate#6: Level 50 Natural Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ice Armor
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(40)
Level 1: Frozen Armor -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(5), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(5), ShlWal-Def(7)
Level 2: Hoarfrost -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(15), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(19), Prv-Absorb%(39)
Level 4: Frost Breath -- Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 6: Chilling Ray -- Tmp-Acc/Dmg(A), Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(7), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 8: Aim -- AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-Rchg(9), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(43), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(50), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 14: Wet Ice -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Frigid Shield -- Pnc-Heal(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(23), Pnc-Heal/+End(25)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(19), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(23)
Level 20: Moisture Absorption -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), Rct-ResDam%(21)
Level 22: Glacial Armor -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Bitter Freeze Ray -- MlsFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), MlsFur-Dmg/Rchg(27), MlsFur-Acc/Dmg(31)
Level 28: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 30: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(31), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Ags-ResDam(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33), Ags-Psi/Status(34)
Level 32: Blizzard -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(36)
Level 35: Ice Storm -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(13), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Rgn-Knock%(46), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(47)
Level 38: Icy Bastion -- Ags-ResDam/Rchg(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(39), UnbGrd-Max HP%(47)
Level 41: Frostbite -- GrvAnc-Immob(A), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(42), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(42), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(42), GrvAnc-Hold%(43)
Level 44: Frozen Aura -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(45), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Arm-Acc/Rchg(45), Arm-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Weave -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), ShlWal-Def(48), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48), Ksm-ToHit+(49), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(49)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(37), PwrTrns-+Heal(37)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
------------

|MxDz;1457;713;1426;HEX;|
|78DA6594D94F135114C6EFED4CAD2DB450D95A284B8BB405646859DC88312A42403|
|048A3AFA4812B546B69DA9AE8232EA0D1275F8C898926BEFB97B8F1E68226266ADC|
|501313E386F574BE4321E92493DFDCEF9E73EF779733E3E706CBEF0F2FEC17D2752|
|819CF66A7622A954BA454D276349E3B9B8927053DB6D8E9784EB5EEB4D1B7773D60|
|6A329E9A5533C6C8B49A3A48A9B9FA62CFA03AA9525965761DC89C99CF08C7C4FC7|
|CD288A5959AA9303FC7547C4665B27389B4D36C0F2566E72879B67CBD374D0DEFE1|
|7462DA280E5B186E9C265299F31E72D246EFCF90E0276F150F7421A2BAB03C02EB1|
|F82A1C7CC27CC6570214869D2CCD5C490666AFA307304DC320A5EA1588958AB7C0F|
|CDF501ACFCC8FC046EFB0C0657C1DFE45183478BF60EDAD637A0E32DF88762AC1C6|
|3BD4C68A4B99740C722F897626C1C63BB63C138F7C0F2BB608002ECF029EC9D84A8|
|5DB8492BE37596D54833AEC305461D4C277891D6E9E47CA71FF99748AB8066A968D|
|14CADD6077AFCF0FF8FBCB9D99B7B85F7E19566FAAE7D8DF6128D53C5E354B18FEA|
|6AE677C42C524C0D7BAD618F1EF6E8638F3ECE95B4AE3ACC29EAF2F4883CB9F0B20|
|BEF7542806EC135B0E92AD1A38B2ACA6AE01536F413744D68A435F2E93646307A53|
|0F1CB5F4A2DDD2C7AC93E6AAFCFD688BB010CD7C039B9FE266F99F319F83AD2F982|
|BCC97E01AF90D20570FF4F049F682AE3EB06B1768F483176887DA7887DAA2F01064|
|8FC11ED0F805EFB7C85B18B17A7802F9EDC79893CC18D8711CBC4D399D9CD3B91BD|
|A8E3DCCBDCC01F6B60FD469FF0CDE3F832BA99B2BA89B2BA8FB081859C36D8EF029|
|D6526E04B9725D8BF2AD38D55EA8D0425DE4F33EBD58E985269DF6D866C50E27133|
|A973469D28C5A75142B57C82E61467DD9AC85A17DDDD0A41CA58F10FD494EC0C7B7|
|8D3E8BBC8999B6DF60FEC0597694F88BE8C5FF8B1003B869D192A8DE12A5AF44B15|
|716FF20F9FF1EE9E0C2|

8 hours ago, Pouncy said:

So as it goies I Frost Bite > Ice Storm > BLizzard > then Ice Bolt if OP is full or do Frozen Aura. Moisture Absorb sets me up for next round Even if my end is fine its great defensive  but still working on the routine.  its a real buisy AT

Als you will noticed I moved the Panacea Reg/Rec to Fridgid Shied to have all 3 together. I +5 the 2 that are with it. The game tends to not show the +65 when in a toggle but its working in the battle stats. I am getting 86 Damage shield.

So with no Horfrost or Bastian my base regen is 13.03

With Horfrost its 19.32

With Bastian added its 52.14

The thing I love about ice is when it shifts it makes noise so I get an audible warning when its up.

SO any advice or tweaks would be appreciated.

So it looks like your slotting is leaving a lot of potential damage on the table by underslotting your attacks for more defense.  AoE looks fine, but single target may struggle on Bosses+.  

A few other notes: 

1) Sentinel HP cap is 2088.  A smattering of HP bonuses from sets, even by accident, and Hoarfrost will exceed 2088 easily.  So, I'd avoid +hp bonuses if possible.  Also, Accolades will also add HP.  That will cap you too.  

2) Regen rate with Icy Bastion is cool (hah!) and all, but regen bonuses from sets suck.  The builds below have a few bonuses there, but it isn't because I was chasing them.  It was convenience of slotting. 

3) Your accuracy is really high when taking both Tactics and Kismet into play.  You can change the default accuracy in MIDs from 75% to 37 - 48% to show off how accuracy at +3 or +4 enemies, respectively.  The Incarnate Alpha will eventually ensure all enemies post level 45 remain in the +3 range.  

4) If Frigid Shield is only adding 86 absorb, then I think it is safe to skip that power for something else.  That amount isn't worth the power slot or the enhancement, in my opinion.  If that power were buffed a bit, then it would may Ice Armor significantly better than it is.  I can get 400+ absorb on Super Reflexes which makes Frigid Shield seem like a total waste.  If this is the case for your current in-game numbers, then I'm a sad panda.  Frigid was bad before, and sounds like it still is.  *fingers crossed for a buff; then it may be worth it*

Example #1 

Heavy defensive investment, but still better damage than the original.  This is expensive, but Icy Armor isn't cheap to softcap.  Sentinel's Ward in Blizzard may be better.  This is my own personal preference on how I slot Blizzard and Ice Storm on my Ice/Energy/Ice Sent.  Ice Storm having a recharge of around 16 seconds can give you significant Opportunity meter when it hits a lot of enemies.  You won't fill your bar, but it is far more meter than Ice Storm normally gives.  

HP is at 2052.  Portal Jockey (5% hp accolade) should shoot you past the HP cap, easily.  Accuracy is over 95% from Kismet and Tactics but some of the lower ratings may hurt from a debuff if you care.  Several powers won't care at all.  1 recharge + Gaussians in Aim works pretty well for me.  There are a few ways to handle Aim, and this one of those. 

Spoiler

|MxDz;1363;651;1302;HEX;|
|78DA7593C94F535114C6EF6B5F454A190B85324A055A869616176E4C8C8A1A94264|
|412B74DD33E4B4D2D4DCB429768A2AEDD2011A79D38AD1CFF07C79DE3C679625013|
|6354ACA7EFFB8A44E24D5E7EEF7DE79DE19E7B4FF8E0A0E3EACEC9CD4AABD8968AE|
|6729151233D914C1B295B389A48C6546195C8E32EEA913DD174C2880786624664AB|
|784C342E5B068D7D463A6798A62DD903E359651F191F4F0546338611AF345F878D6|
|8DCC8E6C6929972F37B47323126CE0947D19A910FF7F64C3216580E5B0817964446|
|F6508354D221CF77AFE2CA2BB549A05BD564975033358BAA939790AEAA2AC01E3B7|
|85CFED1F08F4D9BB39ADA9A4FE43B70ED07F23D58F311FC2139ADC869B3BE85E67A|
|43BE001B5E92AFC0C6D7E04FF1B5C157B7CD08BCBAAA3D454E818D27C1E669F0971|
|79D171FADA4579971ECB316931E3194621F5A69D1462E895F19EB2C7BAE9B9AE319|
|F908AC784C3E01AB9E8247A43FE588ABCADB11EF986895CC55C9BEFA6BC1DF92AB9|
|AB9AAAF2046CD25B0F932D87A016C9F053B2E824725AE93719D8CDB530556CBFEEA|
|60D3EBFE39C3FEDDE8696849CC2D42FA3AC5A79EB5D76FC49DC84B7D6E9EB73B84D|
|E7505416F1FE9270360F710A849BC26DEB1A6BC2C6515A58537ACC5A599D95BEBC9|
|0154A57C4AB5B1236D0FB1D3750FC83BE45D76E41E791F9C165F0FABF5DC82B6FE1|
|A799DBCC12EDE246F8387A59B9DACAD33848E740D901B405DEAF731BEEF2BEAEDFE|
|42CE83FE05B07F91FC0CCE486DBDF4ED3D879C7D33E469F20CE83F0B86CE832EC91|
|BE0C904785A35A205A90579D39AF515536D767C7F7761A60B9393CF0FAFB28EE81C|
|7851345399B32FCF379585BF8A45DBCB3EECD2CC09D3DBB1B7F9555E8B2BBD4EE03|
|E58A6C86FD855FE7FEB0F7599F1DC|

Example # 2 

I opted to care a lot less about defense and focus on pushing your damage higher.  AoE isn't really the problem to solve.  It is fighting Bosses+.  You want to take those out and rely on Icy Bastion to keep you alive when facing them.  Overall defense isn't completely terrible though.  A small purple inspiration (12.5% defense) will nearly softcap Fire and Cold (for whenever that matters).  

HP is 2066.  Any one of the Accolades will cap you, guaranteed.  The damage potential of attacks like Chilling Ray, and Bitter Ice Blast are considerably higher.  I like to use +5 Thunderstrikes.  If you go with the Musculature Alpha series you can easily exceed 120% damage enhancement while still enjoying proc damage.  Bitter Freeze Ray is slotted with 5pc Apocalypse to reduce recharge to make it more available.  The Unbreakable Constraint adds another 107 damage proc.  

Spoiler

|MxDz;1363;657;1314;HEX;|
|78DA7593C94F535114C6EF6B5FC5160A8542A150C05668995A5B5C38446354C4142|
|12192B8250D3C4B4D6D9B96852ED1C471E7C698A8891B1337AE9CFE08C79DE3C611|
|0706353146C57AFABEAFD58478D397DF7BE7DC337CE7F68E1D19AAB9BE776E87D26|
|A77A71385C2E48491994D658CB46D2C914C4DA9D2AA92C75BB64FEE4F6492C67424|
|3E654CEE9288D9D68A67C83868640A86E9DA993F9CCD2BC778369B8E4CE40C63BAC|
|E7C1D3512D346BE3093CA39CDEFE1547246829335656F4E3EBC7B72A9A948256D29|
|DD981432F2475BA4932E79BE871457D1A24E0B02BA6A38439E05E78242CDDCA3A92|
|67989E9CAE5024F894F83CFA62D584DDB9A4FE43CB8F603F91E8C7D047F486D2B6A|
|DBACEF60F3BC255F822DAFC8D760EB1BF0A7C4DA5057B75D11C4ECAAF11279196C1|
|DC05EDF55D9D8AEAB5F219C40494755BF327D8E6B16930171D8A9D15EF6912B1257|
|CD3EAB5FE8A6ADE639F918AC7D423E055DCFC0E3321F27F22AA71FF94E8AAD8EB5E|
|A38CF7023F85B6AD5B3563DF5F8A8AF83BAFCD4D3356F01A9F384E47533AF9B79FB|
|784EF5A2AF89E7D4348CFD7D23641CDCB08FE7B3A2CCBC31E6704B6C3335346F12E|
|85655943EBDCCE78D6186C128181A20C36404EC8D839AE46B8346D55694A5AC6269|
|47364BBB07EA3A9AC94174A57A94EAE4643A1F61BAEB1E9277C97BA0FF3EF900BC2|
|0B101C4EA813BB0ADBF41DE246F815DB7C16332CD6EF6D41DC3248283E4465097BE|
|7B38859EAFE8B3F70BB908869738DD65F23378517AEA674FFDDB3199816DE466722|
|B18DE027AA45E842711E1E934882D4A5B94FF309F5EB9D5F22B4DF8506FE90EDB4A|
|96E2E82AEFB8CE0B2E16CDB42C382AF79A96A5BF168B7680FA478421A11F9A16574|
|52DFF1B750E2A2CE7C96F9874F17FEB0FC757EFEB|

Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

2 hours ago, oldskool said:

Ice Storm having a recharge of around 16 seconds can give you significant Opportunity meter when it hits a lot of enemies.  You won't fill your bar, but it is far more meter than Ice Storm normally gives.  

I was thinking the same thing. I wanted Ice storm to refresh faster. and I normally use the minor AoE like RoF, Whirlpool and such for utilities like KD, holds, or vampires.  It hit me that it would give me the OP much faster and make it more valuable.

2 hours ago, oldskool said:

If Frigid Shield is only adding 86 absorb

I am not too knowledgeable in absorbs in this game.  I know quite a few are clickies.  This toggle one is constantly refreshing itself.  it keeps adding back.

Here is a snippet from my combat log

16:39:07 You receive 59 points of absorption over time from your Frigid Shield.
16:39:07 You receive 30.12 points of absorption over time from your Frigid Shield.
16:39:11 You receive 59 points of absorption over time from your Frigid Shield.
16:39:11 You receive 30.12 points of absorption over time from your Frigid Shield.

All through the log every 4 seconds I get this 89.12.... Wonder why it said 86 in my Combat monitor. So thats kind of a heal in a sense and increases my HP pool, though not statistically adding to my regen.  In that sense I see it has good value.

WHen I played Dungeon and Dragons on line I played the Warlock class. We started with a hefty damage shield just like this and where pretty much invincible.  they had to nerf it and rightly so. 

I feel like it gives me a resistance in that it shaves a lot of damage off what gets through my defense. in a sense taking my 75 cap higher.

So do you feel the same about Frigid Shield?

3. So there is a lot of info i had not known to consider.  I never seem to think about accolades even though  I am a badge freak. 

Also I am not aware of many of the caps.

Setting Accuracy in Mid's is that the "base to hit" under math?

Few other questions. Positionals (AoE, Melee, range) defense are secondary checks if I understand correctly.  SO say PSI defense is 17  but my worst Positional is range at 22.  That means my worst psi defense is 22 correct?

5 hours ago, Pouncy said:

3. So there is a lot of info i had not known to consider.  I never seem to think about accolades even though  I am a badge freak. 

Also I am not aware of many of the caps.

Setting Accuracy in Mid's is that the "base to hit" under math?

Few other questions. Positionals (AoE, Melee, range) defense are secondary checks if I understand correctly.  SO say PSI defense is 17  but my worst Positional is range at 22.  That means my worst psi defense is 22 correct?

That is a good point on Frigid Shield.  I suppose it could be better than I give it credit.  Maybe I am just salty that the Blaster version of the same power is better.  Then again, they don't have the innate defense that the Sentinel version does.  You could drop Assault in either build to add Frigid back and maybe pull a slot off something.  I'm not too convinced it needs a lot of investment for its return, but I'm also being really skeptical.  I haven't touched Ice Armor in a long time and so my memory of it is fuzzy.  (edit note: This inspired me to re-read some old notes.  In the linked thread earlier in this one, there is similar praise for Frigid Shield to protect against the smaller hits that get through.  So, it is likely better than I give it credit.  When I ran this on test I just didn't notice much out of it.  Then again, I was running fairly high defense plus hovering over head.  A closer range build with Frozen Aura would have a different experience, no doubt.)

In Mids under Options -> Configuration -> Exemping and Base Values.  You can set base to-hit for all your powers.  I often leave this as 48 to emulate the +3's I typically fight once I've gotten my T3 Alpha slot.  

Your understanding the defense rating is mostly correct.  Attacks often have two flags attached to them.  Those are the position and the type.  So like Ice Bolt is likely constructed as "ranged_cold".  Whenever Ice Bolt is targeting and enemy, or player, the defense roll takes the highest value of the ranged defense or cold typed defense.  You get the benefit of the highest.  

However, not all attacks in the game have two flags.  Some attacks have just one.  Some psionic effects, most often crowd control, are just "psionic".  Toxic attacks from enemies often don't have a positional flag either or are just untyped (I think Vaz vomit is still untyped or just Toxic; I don't recall exactly but it seems to ignore AoE defense).  The untyped psionic attacks aren't usually a problem.  Untyped toxic can be a pain but is generally rare by enemy type.  Neither of these are worth chasing solutions for because the problems are such a small part of the game.  Just don't be near Carnies when they die.

Edited by oldskool

OK I moved the creation to Live on Torchbearer.  Really please with the performance and stupefied with the damage even though I chose to go with the More defensive build.  Frigid Shield is a great boost to survival.

Running the DA arch a few times and I am simply blasting things to pieces and taking pretty much no damage.  Wonder what will happen once I get my Incarnates.

Bitter Freeze Ray and Chilling Ray do fantastic damage even if the freeze part is not as often as I would like.  Bitter Freeze Ray misses much more than I would like as well, after that long wind up its most disappointing.  I +5 all of the Apocalypse and since there is only 1 with accuracy it was not as much help so might swap one out for the missing other accuracy because missing does no damage.

So with that said I really live this build.

I have a macro that uses the +down$$-down to convert my spacebar jump into a make shift super jump via quick toggling Athletic Run on and off when I jump so it don't eat all my endurance. So it does not make too much a difference other than defense if I took Combat Jumping late.  Also since that grants me a 63.35 mph jump speed I don't really need a travel power. For fly I use the little longbow Jet that mostly matches my outfit. Its heavy on the Endurance though. But I don't fly much due to 1) being a skater 2) its slower than Jump. But need in a Hami raid.

image.png.047b01d9bfe7e3d214b84f962ff243a9.png

PS. Looking at incarnates not too sure what ones to take. 

I do like Cardiac for the END and the Absorb. Agility for the END, Recharge and Defense as well as Musculature for the damage, Immobile and defense.

But if i take Ageless for my destiny then END wont be a problem.  well it isn't now anyway but close.

Once I add Interface and Hybrid the damage will be even greater.

Edited by Pouncy
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

Build is exciting and fun.

Done a few TFs now. Ran DA arc "Burdens of the Past" and have to say "aaaaaah this thing does some insane damage" 

Ran Moonfire and still had Blizzard and Ice Storm.  Start with Ice storm and then Blizzard just knocks them all down so they cant run and then step back and Frost breath the group who ever survives.

Bitter Freeze ray often will one shot something even if its Orange.

And finally I can tank pretty well. HoarFrost I save if things go bad but only needed it twice when it got super close. More often then not Blizzard is keeping me from taking damage and it has an impressive diameter. But when folks are long ranging me I do fairly well taking it.

Of course in Moonfire we don't have incarnates.  So far only have t3 alpha.  working on the above arc to get more mats.

Who knew a cute little Ice Skater could be so devastating.

2 hours ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

Just noting that there's no /ice write up in the sticky thread, so if you find you like it, why not talk about it?

Is the sticky sheet this

Oh cool it gives a little picture when I link it.

If so that looks fun.  Thank you for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, underfyre said:

I usually do my write-ups in an offline file, then import it and fix the formatting before posting.

OOOH thats a great idea. its been sitting there since it was suggested partly started.

• Like 1