Free the city from the tyranny of...

When you start a new blue side character, and do Matthew Habashy's first missions, you get a sampling of phasing. That is to say, the Hellions you were fighting a moment earlier are now being arrested by the PPD. Neat! You changed part of the city. But what if we could do that in a bigger scale? Clear the bad guys from a part of the city. Imagine clearing out the Hellions, Skulls and clockwork from Atlas Park forever (*some conditions apply).

Essentially, your character would have a flag turned on, if you completed a story arc that removes a villain faction from a part of the city. If the flag is turned on, you cannot see or target the villains, nor can the villains see or target you. *If you are on a task force, or doing a flashback, the flag gets temporarily disabled.  The flag would not be applicable to hazard or trial zones. If you clear the Skulls from King's Row and Atlas Park, you can still hunt them in Perez Park or the Hollows. And for course, the flag has no affect in instanced zones.

Here is what I am thinking:

Faction Zones affected Story Arc Badge
Hellions Atlas Park Reason to Fight Savior of Atlas park
Clockwork

Atlas Park

King's Row

Skyway City

Synapse Task Force  
Skulls

Atlas Park

King's Row

The Lords of Death Skull Buster
Lost

Skyway City

Lost and Found Lost Savior
Rikti Founder's Falls Rikti Ship Raid  

What does the community think? Any other factions that could be "permanently" defeated?

Edited by drdread
grammar
  • Like 1

Considering that phasing causes a bunch of problems and I believe that the developers plan to remove it or at least work around it, and that Clockwork in AP, Skulls in KR, and Rikti in Founders' are all needed for the Numina TF...

3 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Considering that phasing causes a bunch of problems and I believe that the developers plan to remove it or at least work around it, and that Clockwork in AP, Skulls in KR, and Rikti in Founders' are all needed for the Numina TF...

It's the problems more than anything though, isn't it?  I mean the flags get turned off in TFs/instances.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

28 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Considering that phasing causes a bunch of problems

Graphically, a problem I could see are mobs appearing and then disappearing when you get close to them. That is a common problem with phasing.

I'm also thinking that the team member's flags could be inherited by the team leader. That way, if you are exemplared with a friend, you can help him with the hunt missions, despite the fact that you normally don't see that mob anymore.

4 minutes ago, Night said:

Phasing barely holds itself together as a system. I don't think making the zones even emptier than they are is a good decision, no. Also it'd make hunting for defeat badges a nightmare.

Valid concerns.

Regarding making the zones emptier, I was hoping my suggestion would make the city seem more dynamic, rather than stuck in a static status quo.

For hunting, it would encourage people to go to the Hazard and Trial Zones which tend to be the most empty zones.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, TheZag said:

If i recall,  zones that use phasing somehow prevent the rikti from being able to invade.  Thats why atlas park never gets hit.  Not because its supposed to be a safe area for new players.

Not exactly.  SCoRE eliminated invasions in Atlas Park and Mercy Island because level less mobs actually do have an internal level of 30.  So AP and Mercy were declared safe zones for newbies.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is a neat idea. I have been wondering how the initial missions that make the Hellions disappear worked. While there may be technical difficulties implementing it, I would love to see this. 

It may even open up opportunities to introduce new things. Off the top of my head, perhaps a new class of burglars would be introduced to try to avoid the attention of the new hero in town making waves. Or perhaps stronger Freakshow opponents would start roaming the streets only after you angered them by completing the Freaklympics story arc. 

• City Council
3 hours ago, Apparition said:

Not exactly.  SCoRE eliminated invasions in Atlas Park and Mercy Island because level less mobs actually do have an internal level of 30.  So AP and Mercy were declared safe zones for newbies.

That is incorrect. Invasions were removed from Atlas and Mercy with their revamps because the Rikti that spawn don't play nice with phasing -- they end up invisible when they spawn inside one of those volumes, but they can still attack players in them.

• Thanks 3

That's very interesting, @Faultline.

Given that, to the best of my understanding, Invasion spawns will not occur inside shops and other indoor map spaces, could we not flag those phasing areas as "indoor" to prevent Invasion spawns?

Not saying I want Invasions in Atlas Park or Mercy Island, of course, but I think it would be cool to have that phasing tech show up in more future content.  Naturally, resolving problems like that and keeping the tech as non-complicated as possible would be required, aye?