Suggestion: Local Ignore

Bay

I can't recall if ignoring only a Local name used to be a thing back on Live or not, I rarely ignored anyone back then. Recently though I've found myself staring and sighing at chat wishing I could ignore just a single character, not the entire Global name. Is there any chance, whatsoever, that this can be added as a feature, or if it did exist at one point, re-enabled for use once again?

Most situations Global ignore is sufficient to match the reason for ignoring someone, however it does not always apply. There are some that roleplay and their LFG advertisements are annoying; I don't want to ignore the entire Global account, just that one time they opt to type that way. Not to mention with the return of streaming, there have been times I've seen streamers advertising and I really just don't care, but I'm sure they're decent players and not deserving of a total, Global ignore.

plz devs? /gignore and /Lignore or something similar?

• Like 1

I havent tried to ignore anyone yet so i didnt know local ignore wasnt a thing anymore.  Back on the live servers someone was ignoring almost everyone that said something.  I said ignore me too and they did.  Several weeks later and on another character from the same account i realized i was teamed with that same person.  They were actually very nice and i asked if they had my first character on ignore,  which they did.  Turned out they were having a bad day back then and CoH chat took the bulk of it and then they removed my other character from ignore.

So the too long, didnt read is: 

Yes, local ignore used to exist on live.

What?  The same global player is behind every screen name, so what does this accomplish unless you are targeting RP?  I don't understand what use this would have since the player is still the same, no matter the toon.

It's likely a matter of wanting to temporarily blot out someone's waves of repeat messages in LFG or the like, @Tahliah.

So, if not restoring local ignore, I counter-propose a new option for your consideration, @Bay:  /ignore_for_time 

I don't know how much of a pain something like this may be to implement, but I envision a function which triggers the standard Gignore function, with a timer set in minutes.  Once that time elapses, the Gignore is reversed.

Naturally, I could see something like that potentially being more work than it's worth, but I figured I'd share the idea and see what you thought.

41 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

What?  The same global player is behind every screen name, so what does this accomplish unless you are targeting RP?  I don't understand what use this would have since the player is still the same, no matter the toon.

Just because they don't want to see spam advertisement messages of certain kinds, doesn't mean they want to never communicate ever with the player behind the local name. Pretty straightforward and reasonable. Example: "I am severely annoyed by Player A's advertisement for costume contests, so I put them on ignore.  Yet, I quite like teaming with Player A on other characters than the one they advertise costume contests on, but I have them on ignore, which is global, so I will never be able to see their messages in response to my team advertisements. If I could just ignore the local name for their costume contest running character, I could still interact positively with all of their other characters, and not be overwhelmed by their local costume contest advertisement character."

Global ignore is a nuclear bomb option for minor issues that could be solved with a more diplomatic "minor" ignore is the gist of the ask, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Tahliah said:

Use: You have a stream that you ONLY do when you play a certain character and you ONLY advertise when you're on that particular character. When on any other character you do not stream, therefore you do not advertise, so you do not deserve a Global ignore. Secondary use: event advertisement accounts that are common on Everlasting, in the very least, and have other characters associated with that Global; not worth a Global ignore unless I want to not team with that person on ANY character.

4 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

So, if not restoring local ignore, I counter-propose a new option for your consideration, @Bay:  /ignore_for_time 

While a great alternative solution, I'm not entirely sure it would accomplish the desired goal effectively. Most of the accounts that have caused me to want a local ignore are almost daily occurrences that would result in a macro being created for specific names. However, I could easily see the application of this for those times when someone's being a dick about something in General (haha, double meaning intended) and you want to give them the benefit of the doubt of having a bad day. For that purpose/reason, I'd suggest renaming the command to /timeout since that's more-or-less what you're putting them in, at least on your end.

• Like 1

Good points @Bayand @Dark Dove.  Personally, I would never dream of ignoring someone for advertising their sg's costume contest, their stream, or some player/sg-organized event, so this literally didn't occur to me.  Funny how people are really different about what constitutes ignorable behavior.  

My ignore list is usually empty--though I do slap annoying possibly drunk people on it from time to time just to clear up the chat, but I unignore them the next time I'm on--and I still can't think of a single reason I would want to ignore one toon of a player and not the player him or herself, no matter how briefly.  Again, I guess we all have differing thresholds of tolerance and kindness, and I don't think it's wrong to be annoyed by someone spamming their sg or costume contest, etc.  In fact, I find people who spam the thing over and over, no matter what is, very very annoying.  Not ignorable annoying, just annoying annoying.  :P

2 hours ago, Tahliah said:

Good points @Bayand @Dark Dove.  Personally, I would never dream of ignoring someone for advertising their sg's costume contest, their stream, or some player/sg-organized event, so this literally didn't occur to me.  Funny how people are really different about what constitutes ignorable behavior.  

My ignore list is usually empty--though I do slap annoying possibly drunk people on it from time to time just to clear up the chat, but I unignore them the next time I'm on--and I still can't think of a single reason I would want to ignore one toon of a player and not the player him or herself, no matter how briefly.  Again, I guess we all have differing thresholds of tolerance and kindness, and I don't think it's wrong to be annoyed by someone spamming their sg or costume contest, etc.  In fact, I find people who spam the thing over and over, no matter what is, very very annoying.  Not ignorable annoying, just annoying annoying.  😛

What constitutes "ignorable behavior" is in my opinion specifically anything.

Ignore function isn't intended as a punishment or an unkindness, it's a filter for your environment that can and should be used for whatever purpose you decide that makes the game better for you, short of malicious use, like every other tool provided in game. It's the same as turning on the profanity filter or changing the hue of your UI.  It has the same moral weight as pushing the "C" key default that hides the chat interface completely, or just removing the LFG/Broadcast and other public channels from your chat UI.

I certainly support anyone using it in any way that makes their play time more comfortable or more fun (again, short of malicious use). It isn't our duty to read every chat message, or any chat message that isn't from the staff/system/GM. The expansion of ignore functionality options seems like a significantly positive thing, either way, allowing more precise communication filters can be beneficial in leaving avenues of communication open where they would otherwise be closed off completely. It might not be something I'd put at the top of the list of things I'd want the development team to work on, but it's certainly a good thing and a good idea to get around to looking at eventually.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1