SD's Oxymoron of "Active Defense" power...

PLVRIZR

Why on Earth is this not a toggle?  Even if it's perma with recharge reductions,  Hasten and LotGs (etc.), why should it require taking the auto-fire slot away from the aforementioned Hasten, or any other power you want to self-activate?  Every other tank, IIRC, has status protection as a toggle or auto.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Both SR and Ninjutsu have a very similar power, and you don't need hasten to have it permanent, just two recharge reductions is sufficient by level 25 if not sooner. Honestly I'd rather see there be two autofire slots in the game rather than redesigning sets though.

19 minutes ago, Gwyrddu said:

Honestly I'd rather see there be two autofire slots in the game rather than redesigning sets though.

I could not agree more.  Why not an infinite number of autofire? 🙂

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

1 hour ago, PLVRIZR said:

Why on Earth is this not a toggle? 

Because it has no holes.  None at all.  All of the toggle mez shields have a gap of one sort or another.  Taunt/Placate and Blinded are the only things that get through Active Defense. AD is comprehensive *and* grants stackable DDR.  Not only is it a trade-off for the comprehensive protection, but turning it into a toggle means losing the ability to stack up it's DDR.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Thumbs Up 3

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Because it has no holes.  None at all.  All of the toggle mez shields have a gap of one sort or another.  Taunt/Placate and Blinded are the only things that get through. AD is comprehensive *and* grants stackable DDR.  Not only is it a trade-off for the comprehensive protection, but turning it into a toggle means losing the ability to stack up it's DDR.

This makes perfect sense. 

Mace to the Face is my first ever SD tank (much less to 50), so it felt rather strange being stunned, only to be able to activate the power...I see the reasoning now.  Also the reason why a moderately priced set build with only T1/T2 incarnates has me taking the ITF dark ambush at +4/8, with reasonable ease...

Thanks, Invader.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PLVRIZR said:

Why on Earth is this not a toggle?

If it were a toggle, it couldn't double-stack the Defense Debuff Resistance it includes.  As little as I like click status protections, this one works better as a click.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

8 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Taunt/Placate and Blinded are the only things that get through Active Defense. 

Also, those have to get through your regular defense to hit you before they can apply. 

Since I normally play defense armors it's always surprising/annoying how many more status effects hit my resist-based toons and sometimes stack enough to overpower the status protection.

As an extra bonus, since AD is a clickie it still applies for its full duration if you run out of endurance and toggle-drop. It's pretty great.

• Thumbs Up 1

SD and SR can both DDR cap.  That can be invaluable.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

15 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Also, those have to get through your regular defense to hit you before they can apply. 

Since I normally play defense armors it's always surprising/annoying how many more status effects hit my resist-based toons and sometimes stack enough to overpower the status protection.

As an extra bonus, since AD is a clickie it still applies for its full duration if you run out of endurance and toggle-drop. It's pretty great.

Thanks.  This is why I love this forum and community.  You guys/gals are the best.

• Thumbs Up 1