Bonfire and Oil Slick Arrow

cohRock

I rolled a Dark / Tactical Arrow blaster.  His T9 arrow is Oil Slick, which can do a lot of damage if it is hit by a fire attack and set afire.  Since he has no native fire attacks, will the Flame Mastery power Bonfire be a reliable means of doing so?  If not what other options would there be?  I am aware there will be a recharge imbalance -- base recharge on Bonfire is 120 sec and Oil Slick Arrow 90 sec.  Hopefully over time he'll gain enough global recharge to minimize this problem, plus he can slot more recharge into Bonfire than Oil Slick.

Mids says Bonfire includes a knockback effect, which would be counterproductive, knocking enemies off the slick and out of the fire it just (hopefully) caused.  So I plan on slotting a kb2kd proc into Bonfire, avoiding that issue.  The Univesal Damage IO set Overwhelming Force contains a "Chance for Knockback to Knockdown" element.  With the long recharge on Bonfire, will the "chance" of it happening be reset to go off when each use of it occurs?

By the way, there are a number of really good blaster secondaries.  I think Trick Arrow is one of the best, with Eagle Eye coming close to making the blaster a regen guy (high boost to both regen and recovery) and Gymnastics granting 20% global recharge, some defense, and knockback/slow protection.  Add the new Concealment:Stealth power (now invis) with even more defense and he begins to become pretty rugged.  (Yes, he'll add significantly more defense and resistance with IO procs and, in this guy's case, Fire Shield.)

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

Oil Slick can be ignited with fire or energy damage. The Apprentice Charm (Magic) and Taser Dart (Technology) origin powers will ignite it. If you don't have one of those origins, you can switch your origin power at the P2W vendor. You can set up a macro to automatically target the oil slick and fire the origin power. (I'm at work and don't have it handy.)

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Thanks guys.  I didn't realize either Apprentice Charm (she's magic) or Electrical Net Arrow could ignite Oil Slick.  Cool.  I think she'll be using Bonfire as well.  She's already pretty AoE intensive, so go where one's strengths lie.

That said, I'm still concerned about the efficacy of Overwhelming Force:Chance for Knockback to Knockdown.  Can it be relied on to at least usually avoid knockback in a long-recharge power?

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

30 minutes ago, cohRock said:

said, I'm still concerned about the efficacy of Overwhelming Force:Chance for Knockback to Knockdown.  Can it be relied on to at least usually avoid knockback in a long-recharge power?

It will always work.    It's not actually a proc in the normal sense.  It turns the KB to KD on the skill it's slotted on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

It will always work.    It's not actually a proc in the normal sense.  It turns the KB to KD on the skill it's slotted on.

Okay, cool.  A bit confused about what your are saying.  Doesn't Sudden Acceleration:Knockback to Knockdown do the same thing?  I guess what is really confusing me is the IO name, "Chance of ...".  If it always works, why say "chance"?

-- Rock

Nevermind, I get it.  After reviewing it on a character who has the Overwhelming Force set, I see I didn't read the name of the IO well.  It has 3 effects.

1. Damage
  2. Chance for Knockdown (20%)
  3. Knockback to Knockdown

So instead of being worse than the Sudden Acceleration proc I mentioned in last post, it is a lot better.

Edited by cohRock
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Rock

The percent chance on overwhelming force is in regards to causing a knockdown for skills that don't have it.   Like if you slotted it in Brawl.  It would give brawl a proc chance to KD.    However for skills it is in it always turns KB into KD.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

/bind b target_name "Oil Slick"

/bind b "powexec_location target Oil Slick Arrow"

I'd also recommend against slotting the Overwhelming Force KB>KD IO in OSA, or Bonfire.  It's known to be finicky if more than one source of KB activates, and both of those powers deal KB.  You'll have critters randomly bouncing out of the KB patches in various directions.  Use the Sudden Acceleration KB>KD IO.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Just now, Luminara said:

/bind b "powexec_location target Oil Slick Arrow"

I'd also recommend against slotting the Overwhelming Force KB>KD IO in OSA, or Bonfire.  It's known to be finicky if more than one source of KB activates, and both of those powers deal KB.  You'll have critters randomly bouncing out of the KB patches in various directions.  Use the Sudden Acceleration KB>KD IO.

I do use a target bind just like this, but the bind I posted is for targeting Oil Slick after you have cast it.

For example, fire Oil Slick use the powexec_location bind, press b to target it, then fire an fire or energy attack to ignite it.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

I do use a target bind just like this, but the bind I posted is for targeting Oil Slick after you have cast it.

For example, fire Oil Slick use the powexec_location bind, press b to target it, then fire an fire or energy attack to ignite it.

Ah.  I typically let my AoEs handle that aspect.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

This is what I use to ignite the oil slick if I'm not relying on the AoE. 

/bind numpad0 "targetcustomnext oil slick$$powexec_name electrified net arrow"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller