The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Rogue Legacy: Alternative to Iron man/woman

KaizenSoze

Some folks in my SG are doing the Iron man/woman challenge. It's an interesting idea, but a bit too punitive for my tastes.

What about a tweak using rogue like games as a template:

• Same rules as Iron man/woman, drops only, perma-death, etc...
  • When you die you make a new character that inherits all the enhancements, influence, etc, from the deceased
  • You have to put to ancestors name in your description or increase the number at the end
    • Fluffy Bunny the Forth or Fluffy Bunny IV

Sounds cool but can you clarify "drops only"?  @Chainz's rules basically just amounted to "self funded".  You weren't limited to just using dropped enhancements.  You could buy at vendors or, if you wanted to, sell converters or converted IOs on the market for cash.

Here's what I have been doing on Reunion:

I have a Villain Base called The Estate that is run by Estate Executor.  My protagonist, however, is a xxx/FF solo corruptor named Heir Apparent.  He (or she (or huge) ) cannot use the AH or the AE, but vendors are fair game.  Any items that can be put in storage in the base are good, but you have to put them there, because once Heir Apparent dies, they're deleted without transferring anything.  This means that inf goes away, since you cannot store that in a base.

The first two heirs passed away relatively early, but the third is beginning to produce.  So when I think of it I sock a few things away for the next generation, like low level SOs.  In the end, the difficult part is not dying, since due to the ease of getting converters through merits, there are very few items that can't be created eventually.  But unless it is put in storage, it's gone when the character dies.

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

Sounds cool but can you clarify "drops only"?  @Chainz's rules basically just amounted to "self funded".  You weren't limited to just using dropped enhancements.  You could buy at vendors or, if you wanted to, sell converters or converted IOs on the market for cash.

Any thing you ancestor got via drops is passed down to the descendant.

IO, influence, recipes, etc... If your ancestor made any influence via selling drops. That is passed down.

35 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Any thing you ancestor got via drops is passed down to the descendant.

No, I get the part about inheritance.  What I mean is... when you referred to the Iron Challenge rules you said "drops only" which can be interpreted to mean you can't buy things at vendors or on the AH.  i.e. You can only use drops from defeated enemies.  The only use for influence would be crafting dropped IO recipes using dropped salvage.

In other words: Are you thinking about restricting vendor or auction house usage?  What about the merit vendor?

2 minutes ago, ZemX said:

No, I get the part about inheritance.  What I mean is... when you referred to the Iron Challenge rules you said "drops only" which can be interpreted to mean you can't buy things at vendors or on the AH.  i.e. You can only use drops from defeated enemies.  The only use for influence would be crafting dropped IO recipes using dropped salvage.

In other words: Are you thinking about restricting vendor or auction house usage?  What about the merit vendor?

I am not sure. I just thought this up last night. I would think vendors would be fine. The auction house would be too easy.

1 hour ago, KaizenSoze said:

I am not sure. I just thought this up last night. I would think vendors would be fine. The auction house would be too easy.

I tend to agree.  I only got my Iron Challenger up to about 21 or so but he had millions on hand from selling converters.  Always enough for SOs at the least and even a few IOs by then.

On the other hand, doing @Ukase's "Drop Challenge" is brutal.  It's clear you can't get enough enhancements just using drops.  At least not in the first 20 or so levels probably.  Not without stopping XP strictly to farm dropped enhancements.  The problem is most of what you get is either not for your origin or it's not a type that's useful to that particular character (like a hold enhancement on someone with no hold powers yet) .  And some types seem almost never to drop too, like EndMod enhancements.  I think if you go long enough to get enough IO recipe drops (and the salvage and inf to craft them) it eventually solves that problem but it's a slog definitely.

So yeah I would think allowing buying enhancements at vendors and use of the upgrade button on the enhancement window is a good idea.  Unlike Ukase's challenge, I would allow use of the Merit Vendor.  Just no AH at all.  If you earned the merits you can use them and anything you can get from them at the Merit Vendor.  You just can't sell it on the AH.  So no converters for cash or rolling IOs into high demand ones for making money.  

For me it's the difference between using the market and 'playing' the market.  And that can still have a lot of gray area in between.

For most of my characters I run them as independent of each other particularly if it's an AT pairing I've never run before.  As a rule only set pairs I've run to 50 before get any help from established characters so if I were to do this sort of thing as a "challenge" I'd be more likely to run something along lines of Ukase's drop challenge because otherwise it's a minimal increase in the overall difficulty.   

You should do what makes it more fun/interesting/engaging for you.  Where's the challenge come in? Being able to actually afford the enhancements needed?

Personally, the economist in me would rather die than spend merits on a recipe. 

You know, it's been a while since I've played Rogue Legacy.

Additional idea!

Any IOs you have when you scrap a character need to be scrambled once each with Converters by Rarity!

Then you can choose your new Archetype and Power Sets from there, using the randomized IOs as the basis for your decision.

Yay-nay?

• Thumbs Up 1