Popup tray animation stutter

JayboH

Is it just me?  This thing seems very inconsistent when it comes to animating up and down.  I have a decent machine:

Ryzen 5900x

RTX 3080

32 gigs RAM

Win 10 64 bit 21H1

I turn on Super Jump for example and the sliding animation for the tray seems to randomly get real slow, pauses, continues going, etc.  Just really odd.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

Go to Null the Gull and disable it.

It's one of the most poorly implemented additions to the game since issue one. Pointless, really, to have a whole tray pop up and down as you switch powers. Especially for one power, as it almost always is.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Go to Null the Gull and disable it.

It's one of the most poorly implemented additions to the game since issue one. Pointless, really, to have a whole tray pop up and down as you switch powers. Especially for one power, as it almost always is.

Talking about performance here, not to remove the feature.

23 minutes ago, JayboH said:

Talking about performance here, not to remove the feature.

Solve the performance problem by nerfing the (useless) feature. Easy enough.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

19 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Solve the performance problem by nerfing the (useless) feature. Easy enough.

You explained you can already remove the feature.

How about helping with the performance issue instead?

1 hour ago, JayboH said:

How about helping with the performance issue instead?

Since no one else seems to have reported this issue, it would be with your system or play preferences.

I suspect it has more to do with the way the feature is implemented; it likely is just isn't assigned a lot of cycles. Even with all the video horsepower in the world, it's not going to respond at full refresh rate while you're madly leaping about and so forth. Which, if true, means it would take a significant code fix to make it wonderfully, 144-fps smooth.

I suspect no one else has reported this issue because everyone else has... yep. Gotten rid of the stupid popup. Or at least doesn't expect it to work smoothly if you're changing travel mode while madly leaping about and such. AFAIK, it should come up when you enter the travel mode and go down when you leave, and not cycle around any other time.

But good luck to you anyway in winning the lottery for dev time on this! 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner

I don't think it's hardware related. I've seen something similar on two machines with very different hardware.

Sometimes when showing the 3rd tray (NOT the server tray with temps and extras), the animation can be very, very slow. It can last for hours if you stay logged in.

But no big deal it's just UI stuff. Keybinds are working fine and no general lag.

I have zero idea what triggers it or what "fixes" it but it seems not to happen in all maps, and mostly mission ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Zed said:

I don't think it's hardware related. I've seen something similar on two machines with very different hardware.

Sometimes when showing the 3rd tray (NOT the server tray with temps and extras), the animation can be very, very slow. It can last for hours if you stay logged in.

But no big deal it's just UI stuff. Keybinds are working fine and no general lag.

I have zero idea what triggers it or what "fixes" it but it seems not to happen in all maps, and mostly mission ones.

Weird right?  I am talking about the popup tray, like say if you turn on Super Jump and Double Jump is in the tray as an example.

9 hours ago, JayboH said:

What setting do you think it could be tied to?

I don't think there are any settings that affect it. It was tacked on quite recently and I think it's simply badly implemented at a code/logic level.

I don't mean to harp on this since you've dismissed the idea, but it really is a pretty useless, annoying way to manage powers. Having an extra tray pop up, for one (1) power, only when another power is enabled, is... well, I'm sure the devs had a good notion in mind. If it could be used or repurposed for, say, the switching power sets of a Kheldian, it would be great. But as is... just drag that one (usually auto or something like it anyway) power out of the pop-up, get Null to null it, and fix a whole buncha issues in one swoop.

Because, bottom line, it's probably nothing you can fix through HW tweaks or settings or UI changes anyway. Live with the weird animation, or... well, you know. 🙂

On 8/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, JAMMan0000 said:

Yep I have seen same thing, mostly when its 'Popping down'. It slowly merges in to  the top tray and disappears. Sorry don't have a fix for it though. I have just gone the way of disabling it.

Strange right?  It's real inconsistent.  There are days where it's liquid smooth the entire time.  It's not like I am doing anything in the background either or have a bunch of programs gobbling up cycles. 

hm maybe not so visible background programs that interfere and use up GPU or CPU RAM, u might wanna check task manager when problem shows up?

Also could be Windows updating secretly again, if it dont want a restart u mostly wont notice it.

Has been stable smooth for me and ill run on a rig that was build 2010 for the live Version ^^ 🙂

Greetings

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

I too have it disabled and good riddance, but the ones that do wind me up are like when you get near Adamaster in Echo DA and up the tray pops with temp summoning power!

Can there not just be a glowie at the portal that activates when his CD runs out?

There are probably other times it pops up but brain is too tired atm to recall them.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Jacktar said:

There are probably other times it pops up but brain is too tired atm to recall them.

Cheers

Its also used for Khan TF for the dimensional Ray, for Kheldian Formchanges and Lambda Trial Grenades the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

2 minutes ago, SuggestorK said:

Its also used for Khan TF for the dimensional Ray, for Kheldian Formchanges and Lambda Trial Grenades the least.

Good memory 👍👏

Seeing those listed like that made me realise that those are all really good reasons to have the popup tray as the powers/items they offer are actually important and useful during their activities, so I need to be accepting them in a better frame of mind.

The odd one out is Adamaster when the popup offers nothing that a glowie placed at summoning spot could do just as well.

Then again I am probably just fully embracing my crusty old geezer “Get off my lawn” status!

Thanks 👨🏻‍🦳🏕

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing to thank its my pleasure.

Although the powers are important, they are no reason to switch it not off, cause u can always drag and drop em manually to any tray u want to, if u dont want to use the server tray.

Its just a quicker way with less work involved 🙂 .

Edited by SuggestorK

Former Player on Server:

14 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

hm maybe not so visible background programs that interfere and use up GPU or CPU RAM, u might wanna check task manager when problem shows up?

I can't imagine such a system bottleneck that would affect one minor UI element and not make the whole viewport stutter or rubberband. It has to be in the game code, something that gets choked under certain circumstances demanding more cycles to the scene and physics.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

14 hours ago, Jacktar said:

Seeing those listed like that made me realise that those are all really good reasons to have the popup tray as the powers/items they offer are actually important and useful during their activities, so I need to be accepting them in a better frame of mind.

Has anyone (1) disabled the tray and then (2) run any of these missions? The tray activation seems to be keyed to certain powersets, and I wouldn't be surprised if it still pops up for mission/temp powers even if disabled for the travel power. The query to Null is very specific for each alt/powerset, I've found. I'd bet it's more selective than not.

23 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

Also could be Windows updating secretly again, if it dont want a restart u mostly wont notice it.

Has been stable smooth for me and ill run on a rig that was build 2010 for the live Version ^^ 🙂

Greetings

It's liquid smooth for me too! ...sometimes.  That's why I described it as being really inconsistent.  This PC was built in May.  Everything else in the game is super silky smooth, it handles pretty much all games like they were nothing, but this sliding temporary tray thing is just behaviorally weird.

14 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Has anyone (1) disabled the tray and then (2) run any of these missions? The tray activation seems to be keyed to certain powersets, and I wouldn't be surprised if it still pops up for mission/temp powers even if disabled for the travel power. The query to Null is very specific for each alt/powerset, I've found. I'd bet it's more selective than not.

I had the server tray for my Kheldians disabled and it didnt show up for fly (afterburner) on my warshade then either so at least that combination is linked.

Former Player on Server:

3 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

I had the server tray for my Kheldians disabled and it didnt show up for fly (afterburner) on my warshade then either so at least that combination is linked.

Thanks for the observation. Those are all travel powers, which I think are treated as a group by Gull.

I suspect other temporary powers behave differently; waiting on reports if anyone has the chance to test the idea.