The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Can we get some QoL changes for the Croatoa War?

The Croatoa War is a really fun and interesting event. It has all the enemy groups of Croatoa in one place fighting it out, which is an interesting enough concept on its own. It ends with two giant monsters fighting each other, genuinely unique in this game. It's a spectacle on its own to watch, and of course there's the obvious fact that it's two badges/merits in one encounter. I like the Croatoa war.

I also *hate* everything else about it.

The Croatoa War cannot go on while any of its spawns are alive on the map. This isn't broadcast to anyone. Most players either don't know or don't care about this factoid- They come in to kill the two very obvious giant monsters, who will never kill each other and are thus always extremely obvious, then go about their day. If there's a Cabal Witch flying in the air in some hidden corner of the map where she's safe from red caps, she will never naturally die until I assume the map resets. This results in the war being a lot more rare than it rightfully should be- It actually activates every couple of hours, maybe even hour, but it will never start while a war is technically already going.

I've spent a lot of playtime hunting for the war. I've grown pretty good at identifying mobs that are not where they should be or are acting weird, and are thus probably stragglers. Most of the time, I kill these and get rewarded with "Monster activity in Croatoa has returned to normal levels." Any time I am lucky enough to catch the event in progress, I always have to impress on the team I gather to go out of their way to kill everything in the Vale until I confirm that the event has ended, so it can start for something else.

With all the setup out of the way: There needs to be a rethink or slight change to this event so that it doesn't require someone going out of their way to just be a glorified janitor. Everything in the war event acts differently, so I can't imagine it would be too hard to isolate them and make them at barest minimum easier to find, as has been done with several other world events- If all of the monsters were unleveled, they would stand out among the wild spawns that already do appear in the area. Alternatively, some means to simply make the war self-destruct itself after some period of time would be nice, but I don't know how feasible that would be.

This post was entirely motivated by being sick to death of hopping into Croatoa only to unstick the event, again and again, and probably miss it spawning for the rest of the night for various reasons. It's also motivated because this is a really cool event and it really sucks that it almost uniquely requires players to go out of their way to clear it so that the next group can have some fun beating up the ugly giant and the pumpkin monster. Especially when this event is the most reliable way to get them for the Croatoa accolade.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hmm, relabeling the spawn and despawn of the event to just the giant monsters? I guess I never noticed the issue, in fact, I usually find the two GMs chilling in one of their multiple spawn points, defeat them, and call it a day. Maybe tying in completion of the TF to spawning the event (in addition to the other thing it spawns, zombies I think?)

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Hmm, relabeling the spawn and despawn of the event to just the giant monsters? I guess I never noticed the issue, in fact, I usually find the two GMs chilling in one of their multiple spawn points, defeat them, and call it a day. Maybe tying in completion of the TF to spawning the event (in addition to the other thing it spawns, zombies I think?)

I think there's two different things:  Eochai and Jack can spawn "normally" or for the Croatoa War?  I think?

• Thumbs Up 1

I fully support anything that makes the event 'unstuck'.  I believe its on something close to a 3 hour timer from when the last mob is cleared till the event starts again.

I suggested basically the same thing although you went into much greater detail.  Heres my topic if you want to check it out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PresidentDSG said:

They come in to kill the two very obvious giant monsters, who will never kill each other and are thus always extremely obvious,

... they have killed each other in the past. On live, not sure about here, they've also lasted long enough to do enough damage to each other that players didn't get *enough* damage to get their badges, even after killing them.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.