Target by threat level (Minion, Lt, Boss, EB, etc)

Nothing quite as annoying as playing a sniper build, hold controller, or a stalker than wants to get that Alpha strike in on the strongest enemy but has to cycle through every single minion and LT before finding the boss (assuming you're not slowly waiting to be able to click and select the target).

"Target_Enemy_Next Boss"     could be a HUGE game changer for how teams work in unison. 

Single target toons scoping out the tough buggers, AoE clearing the rest, Helps toons with good perception to spot AV's in the distance and prepare for it with the team like a scout. etc..

Maybe I've been out of the game too long but don't the bosses etc typically have unique names you could bind and or macro?  

Still be able to do this by rank would be useful when encountering a mob type for the first time.  Like running in Night Ward for the first time, for example when those names aren't yet general knowledge and not listed out anywhere).   Something tells me thou that it's not as simple as it sounds.

Edited by Doomguide2005

The problem with a bind or macro is that the boss labels are different for each enemy group -- for Freakshow, it's 'Tank' or 'Super', except when it's a named boss like 'Killdozer'; for Council, it's 'Archon' (and named bosses virtually always have 'Archon' except for AVs); for Outcasts it's 'Lead', again except for named bosses; and so on for all the other groups. It's not viable to have all these different binds, when if we had something like "/target_rank_next boss" it wouldn't matter what enemy group you were fighting.

Not a total solution, but here's a useful bind pair for on-the-fly targeting:

CTRL+ADD "beginchat /bind ADD target_custom_next enemy alive "
ADD "target_custom_next enemy alive"

Tap Ctrl+NumPadPlus, and type the start of a target string, hit return. NumPadPlus now targets that string.

Much simpler than creating and maintaining some large number of macros etc. ...IMVHO.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I can see it not being as simple as a command. Game doesnt really have a threat recognition command, just a level comparison with an adjustment to the threat in the target box, you have to target it first.  Which is the complete opposite of the command request. Devs would neexto tag every boss for every faction to a new label of the category for the command to function 

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

21 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

I can see it not being as simple as a command. Game doesnt really have a threat recognition command, just a level comparison with an adjustment to the threat in the target box, you have to target it first.  Which is the complete opposite of the command request. Devs would neexto tag every boss for every faction to a new label of the category for the command to function 

There are probably a number of challenges to the concept, but I don't think this is one of them, exactly. Mobs are already tagged at some level as Lieutenant, Boss, Elite Boss, etc. It's just a matter of adding a targeting keyword that would select them, perhaps along with a level keyword (probably just 0 to +3 rather than absolute). There may be huge pitfalls somewhere in the actual code implementation of this, but I don't see any need to change or add tags to existing foe types except for a very granular targeting system... and hey, that's what eyes and brains are for. 🙂

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

5 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Mobs are already tagged at some level as Lieutenant, Boss, Elite Boss, etc. It's just a matter of adding a targeting keyword that would select them, perhaps along with a level keyword (probably just 0 to +3 rather than absolute).

Thats just it, its a tag.  There is no command line like "next nearest target" which exists in the tab key for an invisible parameter.  You can define by "Sapper" because it there is a tag for it in the form of a name.  There is no real parameter for range to target, it just cycles.  There is nothing but a display of the NPC level in the target window, which requires a target to begin with to determine what the NPC is.  I don't think its possible to determine the NPC status without a target.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer