Is Scrapper Kinetics animations just too long?

MsSmart

Hi:

I try to play the different power sets, just to experience what makes them unique and fun to play. So I built an alt with Kinetic as a form of attack. At first, I thought the long animations, the winding , was cute. But then I realized, that I spent a lot of time clowning around with the windings and not doing much for attacking. In fact many times, I would begin my attack, and a team mate gets 2 attacks and kills the mob, and oh yeah, the final insult, the attack goes off on the very dead mob. I also noticed, the character spent a huge amount of time to attack, and the damage, was very unimpressive for the stupid long time it took to go off.

When fighting Battle Maiden, I can hardly get an attack in, and try to get out, before the blue splash gets me, that is ridiculous.

Is what I am experiencing, my own sense of illusion from watching what it feels to be a really long animation?

If not can the animation be, say, halved? or more than double the damage done?

Hugs

Sue

You really shouldn't play Rad Melee then. 😄

KM has a rep for fast animation times. It doesn't have anything with a medium-long animation time for it's best ST chain other than Concentration Strike.

The BM fight on Apex is pretty crappy towards melee. I wouldn't judge a melee set on that fight.

Edited by SomeGuy

The only animation that needs adjustment on KM, in my opinion, is Power Siphon.  The cast time really is a negative, and makes the refresh from Concentrated Strike almost counterproductive, at least in feel.  I stick with the first three attacks and throw 3 recharge in Power Siphon and it works fine. Single target damage isn't nearly as bad as has been reported, though AOE definitely could use a boost.  I find the single target rotation fast, effective, and very satisfying once PS is done.

17 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

You really shouldn't play Rad Melee then. 😄

KM has a rep for fast animation times. It doesn't have anything with a medium-long animation time for it's best ST chain other than Concentration Strike.

The BM fight on Apex is pretty crappy towards melee. I wouldn't judge a melee set on that fight.

If your only decent animation time powers being acquired by levels 1-4 earns a powerset a rep for fast animation times, please don’t recommend me any sets with said rep...

And procced Irradiated Ground afk might be better DPS than the entirety of KM, so let’s not go there 🙂

Edited by arcane

1 hour ago, arcane said:

If your only decent animation time powers being acquired by levels 1-4 earns a powerset a rep for fast animation times, please don’t recommend me any sets with said rep...

And procced Irradiated Ground afk might be better DPS than the entirety of KM, so let’s not go there 🙂

The feel of the set isn't for everyone. that's for sure. But you can skip Conc Strke and only use those fast-animation attacks and still do decent DPS.

I've ran both sets at maxed out IOed levels. I will go there. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

The feel of the set isn't for everyone. that's for sure. But you can skip Conc Strke and only use those fast-animation attacks and still do decent DPS.

I have a KM/Ice Armor Stalker I adore the heck out of. Probably isn’t the most optimal hero of the bunch, but fun nonetheless.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

fun

This is my thing. Is it fun? Yes? Who cares. Not like you have to run a min/max character to run mythic crap in this game or something. And honestly, that doesn't sound like a bad combo numbers wise, at all. KM Stalks historically have put out good numbers.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

This is my thing. Is it fun? Yes? Who cares. Not like you have to run a min/max character to run mythic crap in this game or something. And honestly, that doesn't sound like a bad combo numbers wise, at all. KM Stalks historically have put out good numbers.

Yeah! I re-colored KM blue and he is like a Sub-Zero cryomancer type of hero. Absolutely awesome and honestly still hits like a truck. Basically just just do your standard Stalker rotation, and scrap it out after that haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SomeGuy said:

I think it must be my love of procs that makes me incapable of enjoying sets that have all their decent DPA/DPS wrapped up in T1-T3 attacks. Now my Kin Melee tank can unleash a buttload of procs... but those are all tied to bad animations found after level 4.

The first 3 attacks are fairly fast but the other attacks are indeed on the longish side. Seasoned builders will tell you to skip concentrated strike and load up on procs on the early attacks to make up for not having a real heavy hitter. If going that way I'd recommend pairing it with a secondary that offers a recharge boost, as you will need more recharge to string those early attacks into a smooth attack chain.

For the blue patch during battle maiden, learn to joust. It will change the way you play the game. Right before you fire a long animating attack jump backwards/sideways/forwards, the momentum will carry you out of the patch and you will animate your attack when you land. Practice that in a lowbie zone against lowbie mobs. The timing isn't super difficult for single target melee attacks, but the positioning needs to be tighter for small radius PbAoEs like burst and the timing needs to be much tighter for ground based powers such as foot stomp.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!