MacOS: Is it safe to upgrade...to Big Sur (from Mojave)?

Zhym

Okay, so I've been slow to upgrade, mostly because I've wanted to make really really sure I didn't break CoH.  But I'm thinking it's about time to pull the trigger.  So: how does CoH handle the upgrade now?  Everything's 64-bit, right?  Anything else I should watch out for?

FWIW, my everyday user account doesn't have admin access, so I had to play with the permissions in the CoH and Island Rum folders to get everything to update right.  I'm guessing if anything breaks when I upgrade, it'll be because of that.

I'd appreciate any guidance.  Thanks!

A couple of things that come to mind:

1. Backup the Mac before doing the upgrade
  2. Keep in mind that after a point in Mojave's life, Everything going forward is 64bit only, so check your app compatibility (CoX has no issue).
  3. Why does your everyday account not have admin? Shared device, multi-user...? You'll probably want that, but if the admin account is locked out somehow, then you'll want to fix that before you upgrade
  4. Did I mention backup the computer?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

8 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Why does your everyday account not have admin? Shared device, multi-user...? You'll probably want that, but if the admin account is locked out somehow, then you'll want to fix that before you upgrade

It's a security thing—basically, one more speed bump in the way of malware.  You might be amazed how much admin access isn't needed day to day.  On those occasions when admin access is needed, I have a separate admin account that I can enter the credentials for.  For example, most software installers will pop up a dialog box asking for admin credentials.  The Island Rum installer didn't really grok that, so I think I had to install under my admin account and then fiddle with permissions to let is update under my non-admin account, but that's all settled now. 

So: do you think I should do a backup before upgrading? ;) 

2 hours ago, aethereal said:

I run CoH on catalina, it's been fine.  But note that you will lose Mids if you use it.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about the non-native apps.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

4 hours ago, aethereal said:

I run CoH on catalina, it's been fine.  But note that you will lose Mids if you use it.

Thanks.  I'd given up on MIDS a while ago since I couldn't figure out a way to get it to upscale (old eyes, tiny fonts). 

FWIW, I pulled the trigger on the upgrade and Homecoming seems to be working fine (now I just hope I didn't jinx it by typing that out).

IIRC, most of the issue with Big Sur is actually with the M1 chip, which was incompatible with just about everything when it first came out.  If you're running Big Sur on an Intel chip, you're probably okay by now.

I bought a shiny new MacBook Pro (13") last November and found out the hard way that the M1 chip broke everything I wanted to run that wasn't basic home/office apps.  Daz Studio, for instance, just released their M1-compatible update last month.

6 hours ago, FrauleinMental said:

IIRC, most of the issue with Big Sur is actually with the M1 chip, which was incompatible with just about everything when it first came out.  If you're running Big Sur on an Intel chip, you're probably okay by now.

I bought a shiny new MacBook Pro (13") last November and found out the hard way that the M1 chip broke everything I wanted to run that wasn't basic home/office apps.  Daz Studio, for instance, just released their M1-compatible update last month.

Yeah, it was bumpy at first, but at this point, I think we're good on the M1 overall. As for Other apps, give or take Rosetta2's temperament, much of what I've used so far works ok.