Why should I (or shouldn't I) change to the Homecoming Launcher?

Kartanian

I have seen a lot of help for "How To Install," but I haven't seen or found any specifics on WHY the Homecoming Launcher is a good thing. The explanation seemed to come and go over a short period of time, some time ago (given that I'm writing this mid-October, 2021)

What was the change management on this? Why use this? What are the pros and cons over continuing to use Tequila or whatever was stable on any given user's system?

• Like 1

Thanks, @Nerio72.

This was for Beta. Is this now considered OUT of Beta? One of the main reasons I did not switch then was because I was not interested in a beta version tool. Thus, my question with this thread. What is the compelling set of reasons to move from Tequila to the HC launcher?

It looks like there are some subtle enhancements and an important security issue that this fixes. Is it stable enough to call "Final?" Is it worth migrating for those who are experiencing no problems with Tequila? Sorry to be the "stick in the mud," but this has remained an "unresolved issue" for me since this time last year.

Tequila is eventually going to be deprecated and no longer receive manifest updates from Homecoming, at which point you'll no longer be able to connect to the servers and play. At any rate, the current launcher version is a "release" version, though there are still "test" and "MacOS" branches.

Edited by macskull
  • Thumbs Up 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Yes it is out of beta,I just linked to it because it seemed like it would answer some of your questions about it. They have patched it and there are patch notes for it.

I've used it since it came out and had no issues with it. I think just the added security makes it worth it. And the fact that Tequila will be unsupported in the future, why not do it now? But that is your call. It does change your filepath, just FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Kartanian said:

What was the change management on this? Why use this? What are the pros and cons over continuing to use Tequila or whatever was stable on any given user's system?

The Homecoming Launcher is awesome.

Automatically updates the clients that you use (live and/or beta).

Copies the files from your current install while installing itself.

So pretty hassle free on install and use.

From my understanding, it is more secure.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• City Council

It's been covered but the big pros are security, which is not even in the same league, and speed. Also the fact that it's actively maintained, unlike Tequila which has never been updated in any way during the entire life of HC, not even once.

It's also far more convenient for us developers since it's fully integrated into our automatic build and deploy system. That's why beta patches will eventually be exclusive to the HC launcher where we can press 1 button and distribute to our CDN and publish to the launcher. Updating Tequila manifests is a manual process and while it's not a problem to do that during server downtime on patch day, out of cycle patches occasionally have a little bit of lag before they're available on Tequila, or if they're not critical sometimes it gets skipped entirely.

The downside is that it's different than you're used to and if you're already using Tequila you have to let it create a second copy of the game (though you can remove the original later if you want). Also the security lockdown to make it unable to download anything unexpected means that it's exclusive to HC, so if you play on other server clusters it doesn't work for that.

It is considered released. That happened when we updated the Installation Guide to reference only the new launcher.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 10/19/2021 at 4:37 PM, Kartanian said:

I have seen a lot of help for "How To Install," but I haven't seen or found any specifics on WHY the Homecoming Launcher is a good thing. The explanation seemed to come and go over a short period of time, some time ago (given that I'm writing this mid-October, 2021)

From the Layman’s perception, it looks nicer and has more detailed information in it, including shard status, etc.

Edited by Optimum_Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.