CoH Homecoming just not working on my Mac...

Macrotymon

Hello friends! Looking for some help here. Last week I was able to play Homecoming on my laptop. Today, I cannot. I've uninstalled and re-installed BOTH the CoH Launcher and Island Rum. They seem to get installed just fine. I even get the little "ding!" sound. But, when I click the icon for the CoH Launcher or the blue arrow in Island Rum, my computer thinks about it for a bit and just does nothing. Any thoughts, suggestions, incantations, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'm guessing you've Also restarted the Mac during all of this and looked at the other troubleshooting threads? Beyond that, may want to check the Launcher Discord for quick replies (GMs, etc). If for some reason you've not though, backup your folder elsewhere, delete the original (links and all), and try installing directly from Manga's page. It would also be good to know what mac we're dealing with.

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Catalina? Weird as I've not had issues on that os recently. Mostly just the Big Sur/M1 after the 11.6 update.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

I downloaded from the Manga's page link you provided, I did all the things until I got the successful "ding," then tried to open the application "Launch CoH." It starts up the "WIne Installer," thinks about it for a bit, then it shuts down "Launch CoH" as though nothing ever happened. Bizarre.

I know at this point I'm just rambling and I appreciate anyone who's still reading. Ha!

There was a bug a year ago where it would "edit" the .sh file it uses to launch the game when you click the blue arrow in Island Rum and add a few random characters.

Making the file read-only was a work around.

This created the same behaviour as you describe: starts Wine, then doesn't understand what to do next.

I don't have time to go and debug now, but maybe something like that is happening here as well. There are a few files that get rewritten by Island Rum every time before it tries to start the game, to give Wine the correct install location to find the files.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

• 5 months later
On 8/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, Manga said:

Note:  Since the FAQ is linked here, I'm modifying this post very late in order to keep the latest info here.

There are TWO ways to install City of Heroes Homecoming on your Mac:

1.  The preferred way is to download the Mac Installer for the Homecoming Launcher here: https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/mac-installer.zip

2.  An alternate way is to download Island Rum for Mac, here: https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

Both packages automatically install everything you need!

I've tried both option and still having issues.

1) The Island Rum for Mac option is apparently damaged and the only option I'm presented with when trying to open it is to MOVE TO TRASH.

2) The Mac Installer goes swimmingly until I trying to actually open the game. Downloaded it, went through all the steps I could find from these message boards, and still when I click to start Launch CoH...nothing. I opens Wine Installer, thinks about it for a few seconds, then just shuts it down.

I had it working before this last update, but now I'm not having any luck. I've uninstalled & reinstalled a couple times, but that hasn't helped.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt

11 hours ago, Macrotymon said:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

On a Mac myself, though higher OS version so I know that will impact certain things. However, I've had straight success ditching Island Rum and swapping to the HC Launcher. You should be able to use that and, iirc, it takes care of the Wine installation.

That being said, I had a very similar issue with Mids. Any time I closed it I would have to restart my computer to get Mids to launch again. After consulting with a couple of folks in the MRB Discord, I was pointed towards Activity Monitor. For reasons I'm not smart enough to understand, Mids (and its associated Wine) were not fully/properly shutting down. Might be worth checking on your end to see if, for some strange reason, Wine is still running, thus preventing a 'new' instance to be launched and run properly. A long shot, but a shot nonetheless.

12 hours ago, Bay said:

On a Mac myself, though higher OS version so I know that will impact certain things. However, I've had straight success ditching Island Rum and swapping to the HC Launcher. You should be able to use that and, iirc, it takes care of the Wine installation.

That being said, I had a very similar issue with Mids. Any time I closed it I would have to restart my computer to get Mids to launch again. After consulting with a couple of folks in the MRB Discord, I was pointed towards Activity Monitor. For reasons I'm not smart enough to understand, Mids (and its associated Wine) were not fully/properly shutting down. Might be worth checking on your end to see if, for some strange reason, Wine is still running, thus preventing a 'new' instance to be launched and run properly. A long shot, but a shot nonetheless.

I appreciate the reply! I found my Activity Monitor, but no sign of Wine. I found "mds" but not "Mids." I don't really understand much of this stuff, tho, so still kinda lost. Ha!

13 hours ago, arcane said:

As a side note that looks like it’s not relevant to you, I’ve been having more issues with crashing since installing Monterey.

IDK the behind the scenes on the OS, but from what I've seen, this is pretty consistent for multiple apps I've used.

• 3 weeks later