Is Taunt Necessary for Solo-exclusive Play?

Lunglescrops

I'm currently playing an Invulnerability/Street Justice Tanker completely solo. It's slow going, but I'm enjoying the survivability of my build so far (even though I only have Initial Strike, Sweeping Cross and Brawl as attacks).

My question is, what are the benefits of Taunt if I intend to only play solo? Do I need to take it? I appreciate it's kind of staple power that the Tanker is built on. This may be a really dense question, but I avoided Tankers my entire time playing live, so have next to know experience with the AT. 

Any feedback people can offer would be great.

Thanks all!

Thank you for these responses. Both your contributions are really helpful. I've not felt that I'm lacking from not taking Taunt, so I think I'll forego it for now. I desperately need another attack in my rotation, so I can justify taking Kick a little earlier now.

Edited by Annwn Un Rama

It is an autohit attack against mobs(requires no accuracy, unless you want to pvp at some point), that makes runners turn right around and come back to you. So if you think that is useful to you, take it. Slot it for some range.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

It's a nice-to-have on teams and probably much less useful solo.   Although it claims a -100% range debuff for tankers, it seems to be capped at something more like -75%.  Snipers, for example, will never run right up to you when taunted.  And most mid-range enemies will stop short of running into melee range unless they have a melee attack their AI might decide to use if they are "close enough".

In any case, it's main use on teams is pulling aggro off teammates without having to leave the main pack of enemies you have bunched up.  Which is why I say it's "nice to have" rather than necessary.   As the sole focus of aggro when soloing, it's less of a benefit.

To the OP, it's a great question. I do a fair bit of soloing as well as teaming and leading events. I find Taunt to very helpful solo, as I can keep a stream of mobs running to me (ie keep feeding my AoEs), I can pull back runners (unless they've initiated the "run away more" feature/option/mechanic, use it to corner  (or other obstacle) pull, or if I'm feeling mean and have a KB power I can KB them, taunt them, rinse/repeat until I'm satisfied they've learned their lesson, or have run out of HPs (don't judge)....

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

I am currently soloing the game (every contact red/blue/gold) on a dark/invul Brute.  I have two nearly identical builds slotted at 29. The one difference (and sole reason for two builds) is one has Stealth and the other has Taunt.  Stealth, with Taunt aura off, allows me to quickly finish most solo missions.  When I jump into a Task Force for badges or companionship I rotate in Taunt.   I never used to take Taunt on Brutes but I am getting lazier as I get older and Blasters are getting crazier.  Taunt lets me control a lot of the action fast in team play.   But with no competition soloing PvE there is very little reason to throw a power pick at it.  I can pull with P2W Blackwand solo.