Grav/Storm or Grav/Time?

JnEricsonx

• 2 weeks later

I love my space time dude.  Time is amazing and Grav is just plain fun. The biggest drawback especially solo is the fact that you have close to no AoE damage though your single target damage is decent at least. Also it is hard to drop any power of those two power sets so you have to be very careful what you want for power and epic pools since you won't have many slots for those.

Back on Live, I started several Gravity Controllers and didn't like them - until I made a Grav/Storm.  

Gravity has good single target damage in low levels, with FOUR single target attacks, but has pitiful AoE control. There's an AoE immob which allows knockdown, and that's about it. Why it works so well with Storm is Freezing Rain, a level 16 AoE strong debuff with KNOCKDOWN and slow.  So, a Grav/Storm can cast Freezing Rain and the Crushing Field Immob, causing foes to fall down while being unable to run away.  Finally, some AoE control!

To me, this made all the difference in making my Grav/Storm more fun to play.  Then there are lots of other synergies to the combo.  Gravity is a good ranged set, and Hurricane and Singularity are great for keeping foes at range.  Wormhole + Hurricane is a fantastic positioning pair.  Lightning Storm is a fixed damage pet, and Wormhole is great for bringing foes into its range.  The stun in Wormhole can be boosted by the stun in Thunderclap.  You can send in Singularity to draw aggro while Tornado and your single target attacks take down foes.

You will never have great AoE control with a Gravity Controller, but the synergies with Storm make it a great combo.

Time has a lot of great powers, but I don't think it has all of the synergy that you get with Storm.

My Grav/Storm is a MONSTER. One issue I have playing a controller is that I am not a buffer type. I can't remember to do it, I don't like to do it, and I suck at doing it. With /Storm, I don't have to worry about that. My recommendation is slot both sets for damage, not control. Add in a bit of extra KD with procs here and there, and just massacre everything. I play mine with just enough KD to keep everything from killing me or my team. I have -ToHit in Hurricane just in cast things get hairy, but I hardly use it.  I have Tornado slotted for KD and just release that. It makes an awesome tank. I leave Lightning Storm slotted for KB. Toss out LS from the back of the group and then anyone who tries to get near you gets tossed back into the group. Take that Ice epic for extra coolness.

Solo, I usually open with Freezing Rain, Tornado, and Lightning Storm, in most any order. Then do whatever is needed to clean up, which usually isn't much. Particularly annoying targets get Held>Lifted>Forklifted as punishment. 

In a team, I generally toss FR on where the tank lands, then watch what is needed and do whatever helps the team. My one motto is "Nobody leaves unless I say they leave." See a runner, instant hold on them.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 4:55 PM, VV said:

My Grav/Storm is a MONSTER. One issue I have playing a controller is that I am not a buffer type. I can't remember to do it, I don't like to do it, and I suck at doing it. With /Storm, I don't have to worry about that. My recommendation is slot both sets for damage, not control. Add in a bit of extra KD with procs here and there, and just massacre everything. I play mine with just enough KD to keep everything from killing me or my team. I have -ToHit in Hurricane just in cast things get hairy, but I hardly use it.  I have Tornado slotted for KD and just release that. It makes an awesome tank. I leave Lightning Storm slotted for KB. Toss out LS from the back of the group and then anyone who tries to get near you gets tossed back into the group. Take that Ice epic for extra coolness.

Solo, I usually open with Freezing Rain, Tornado, and Lightning Storm, in most any order. Then do whatever is needed to clean up, which usually isn't much. Particularly annoying targets get Held>Lifted>Forklifted as punishment. 

In a team, I generally toss FR on where the tank lands, then watch what is needed and do whatever helps the team. My one motto is "Nobody leaves unless I say they leave." See a runner, instant hold on them.

Irony is that's what my Plant/Storm does.   Hell, my Grav/Psi/Cold dominator tosses out Sleet and Ice Storm before anything else.

I almost remade my Grav/Dark into Grav/Storm, but decided last second I'd roll with Grav/Poison. And I'm loving every second of it so far. Once I'm in the 40+ range should be able to comfortably exist in melee range with Venomous Gas going on top of some defense building. I look forward to dropping procc'd poison traps, then using wormhole/fold space to drop groups on top of them, my debuff aura, and singy.