My blaster is a beam rifle/devices. Question about stealth and the gun drone on this AT

Diantane

As soon as I got "Field Operative" I quickly engaged it and left it on forever. But then wondered just how good this stealth was. Could I walk up to a boss without them noticing me? Could I walk up to a mob, lay down trip mines or time bombs and walk away to get the fun starting?

When I trained the gun drone I would set it up before a fight. I could see it firing, but it wasn't causing much damage. It was kind of wimpy. Not what I expected for a tier 9 power.

3 hours ago, Diantane said:

As soon as I got "Field Operative" I quickly engaged it and left it on forever. But then wondered just how good this stealth was. Could I walk up to a boss without them noticing me? Could I walk up to a mob, lay down trip mines or time bombs and walk away to get the fun starting?

When I trained the gun drone I would set it up before a fight. I could see it firing, but it wasn't causing much damage. It was kind of wimpy. Not what I expected for a tier 9 power.

I'm sorry but not on it's own.It is only as good as Stealth from the pool powers.

BUT

You can put a Celerity Stealth proc in Sprint and you can.

So go forth and toe bomb.

Gun drones is a little extra DPS and a distraction.

Nothing more.

You can spawn 2 if your recharge is good enough.

Edited by Chelsea Rorec
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Omega Force said:

According to the power selection screen in game, Field Operative is as effective as a stalker's Hide; both show 1500%.  If you need extra stealth, you could also get Super Speed.

I don't think that is correct.

FO is only about 30ft stealth with a Celerity it goes up to 70ft which is complete invis to most mobs.

FO is nowhere near stalker hide.

Superspeed makes placing trip mines REALLY hard and consumes a power pick where as a Celerity IO in sprint dosn't and offers almost complete invis.

• Thanks 1

1) Field Op is no where near as effective as Stalker Hide.  In game info is incorrect if that's what it's saying.  (35ft vs 150ft).

2) Field Op has two levels of Stealth component.  At max it offers 35ft stealth.  You lose (suppressed) 20ft of that if you attack, click on a glowie, or hit by a foe.  The remaining 15ft are lost if stunned, held or slept.

3) The various stealth procs including Celerity provide 30ft of stealth.

4) Super Speed grants 35ft of stealth.

As for how close you can get before they'll see you:

Take their perception and subtract your total stealth.  If that result is a positive value that's how far away they'll see you and likely aggro/react.  If it is zero ft or less you can stand right in front of them and they'll be oblivious. 

Perception values:

Minions 45ft

Lieutenants 50ft

Bosses, EBs, AV/Hero 54ft

Turrets, GMs 100ft

Sniper 149ft

With FO plus a Celerity stealth proc (or other stealth proc) you'd have 65ft stealth and could tie the shoelaces on everyone shy of GMs, Turrets and Snipers without being seen.  Then there are some foes who ignore stealth.  Rikti Drones, Rularuu 'eyeballs', and Knives of Artemis are some common foes who ignore stealth.

Edit:  Note that a number of foes in the new Dr Aeon SF have enhanced base perception of 66ft.  Some may? have or use Tactics/Tactics-like powers which would also effect their ability to note stealthy PCs.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Afterthoughts
  • Thanks 1

One thing you might have forgotten, Devices also gets Snoke Grenade which is an autohit -perception on targets that also won't break your stealth or cause enemies to aggro (as long as you don't use procs in it).  With Smoke Grenade and Field Operative you'll achieve a similar level of stealth to being fully invisible.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

5 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

One thing you might have forgotten, Devices also gets Snoke Grenade which is an autohit -perception on targets that also won't break your stealth or cause enemies to aggro (as long as you don't use procs in it).  With Smoke Grenade and Field Operative you'll achieve a similar level of stealth to being fully invisible.

This and with smoke grenade and FO (surpressed to 15ft stealth) you can stand near a mob and click a glowie.

Don't stand to close tho 🙂

14 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Indeed an excellent point.  A few thoughts here.  First it's a perception debuff, meaning those foes who ignore stealth are also Blinded and unable to see you.  Second it effects your foes rather than you so all your allies are also benefitting and are unable to be seen.  Third if you stack the effects FO, a stealth proc and another means of stealth such as Super Speed or the base empowerment buff you'll have sufficient stealth to get in range of things like Snipers with your Smoke Grenade.  Technically you're there with FO plus stealth proc but with very little room to spare for things like you and the server maybe not seeing the same distance.  I just wouldn't want to spend the time creeping closer while teamed checking distances repeatedly to ensure I didn't get too close.  And one Sniper 3 spawns away popping you might not be such a big deal unless of course it suppresses your stealth from the spawn you're in the middle of toe bombing at the time ... oops.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typos