In game billboards

Guardia

Random thoughts... Anyone remember when Paragon Studios experimentally tried putting real-world advertisements in game?

I am guessing the experiment failed, because after the initial launch I stopped hearing anything about it.

I am wondering if the current servers could use the tech for something. Even just dynamic fake ads changing over time.

Hmm.

It was mentioned at the time on the old forums that they could be used to advertise dev  choices in AE, which doesn't seem like a bad idea.  It was just forum talk though, nothing concrete.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

TBH, I always thought the best thing that could be done with them was/is to advertise real-life 'hero' charities.

Just give the links/info in a fun 'CoH' style, but have the real information, possibly even a slash command that takes you to donation sites.

IMO, this has a good chance to bring a lot of positive PR as well.

A group a gamers playing on servers that are run not-for-profit and generating traffic/revenue for real-life hero non-profits also sounds like something any company might think twice about 'attacking'.

Just my pennies.

TBH, I always thought the best thing that could be done with them was/is to advertise real-life 'hero' charities.

Just give the links/info in a fun 'CoH' style, but have the real information, possibly even a slash command that takes you to donation sites.

IMO, this has a good chance to bring a lot of positive PR as well.

A group a gamers playing on servers that are run not-for-profit and generating traffic/revenue for real-life hero non-profits also sounds like something any company might think twice about 'attacking'.

Just my pennies.

+1 Inf - I really like this jubakumbi!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I don't think they stopped it. But the in-game ads weren't exactly prominent. It was only a few of the billboards on each faction, and easy to miss them. Of course because these in-game ads weren't egregious and were easy to overlook, people forgot about them existing. Which in turn likely caused advertisers to decide it wasn't a good investment. As I recall, when the in-game ad billboards didn't have a paid sponsor, they would show an ad for a in-game business like City of Gyros and City of Vegans.

I think that advertising for "real hero organizations" is a great idea. I do love the ingame billboards and I get a chuckle out of them.

I am still looking for the billboard advertising "The Clanket" which is a Cape/Blanket combo take off on the Snuggie.