Extreme Graphic Reduction, Why?

Harakh

I typically use a desktop computer, but have a gaming laptop at hand.

I've not used the laptop much. When I first played CoH on it I was able to play on Ultra graphics. I came back to the laptop to play CoH over a month later, and now the game hardly plays on mid level graphics.

I was advised that it to do a recovery-rollback but unfortunately forgot to turn that on upon unboxing the laptop.

Any advice on what I may do in the attempt to returning to play CoH on Ultra graphics, or at least higher than lower mid level??

image.png.04ed478057818a73ab719505f04b29ea.png                    image.png.42c80ce1c325baca8986b52f21ef6e81.png

I would start with all graphics settings turned down, then systematically start tweaking them up until you find which particular one is causing the biggest impact on performance.  I am also assuming you've done the normal steps of checking that you have the latest drivers and such installed...

I could go through each graphics setting to see which is causing the most strain, but this doesn't answer what would cause the extreme change in performance. 

Device manager says drivers are up to date, but I'm in the middle of looking for manual updates in case the auto scan is wrong.

image.png.04ed478057818a73ab719505f04b29ea.png                    image.png.42c80ce1c325baca8986b52f21ef6e81.png

Uninstalled the graphics driver and restarted PC. Says the device is working properly except the game performance isn't running any better. ...continuing to research ...

image.png.18680a26c514588a790d5c0e80d2e963.png

Edited by Harakh

1 hour ago, Harakh said:

Uninstalled the graphics driver and restarted PC. Says the device is working properly except the game performance isn't running any better. ...continuing to research ...

Does the laptop have both an integrated GPU and the discrete one?  If so, do you have an option in the bios, or through the graphics driver software, to force the game to use the discrete one?

Thank you for the info.

Troubleshooting a while ago I found the nvidia control panel won't open so figuring something still isn't computing right.

Then, in hopes the info you shared would do it anyway, found, the nividia card wasn't an option so I went back to the device manager window to find it giving the error again.

51 minutes ago, Harakh said:

Thank you for the info.

Troubleshooting a while ago I found the nvidia control panel won't open so figuring something still isn't computing right.

Then, in hopes the info you shared would do it anyway, found, the nividia card wasn't an option so I went back to the device manager window to find it giving the error again.

Dang!  Sorry to hear that.

2 hours ago, Harakh said:

Maybe see if there's a restore point you can try going back to, or if all else fails, try accessing the restore partition of the drive?  Perhaps you could try to roll back to the GPU software suite provided by the laptop manufacturer instead of Nvidia directly?  It's a bit extreme, but may be your only recourse. 

23 minutes ago, biostem said:

Maybe see if there's a restore point you can try going back to, or if all else fails, try accessing the restore partition of the drive?  Perhaps you could try to roll back to the GPU software suite provided by the laptop manufacturer instead of Nvidia directly?  It's a bit extreme, but may be your only recourse. 

Thanks for the help. I'm not very tech savvy so am gonna hold off till tomorrow. Looks like my tech bro can stop by then and take a look. Fingers crossed I don't have to go through a warranty claim to end up being charged anyway (cause companies love to do that crap lolol *sad face*). Much appreciation tho. May tomorrow bring fortune. Goodnight for now.

3 minutes ago, Harakh said:

Fingers crossed I don't have to go through a warranty claim to end up being charged anyway (cause companies love to do that crap lolol *sad face*).

I don't think it's a hardware issue, TBH.  Regardless, best of luck and may your bro come through for you!

My son had similar problem (with a different game) after an nVidia driver update. He had to roll the drive back to the 472.12 version and it has worked for him. Maybe something like that??

Also, I think that most gaming laptops by default will only use the gaming GPU when plugged in to power, so ensure that your power supply is connected and working correctly.

Thanks all.

The nvidia card doesn't show up in the dispaly settings in order dedicate programs only the onboard card; it's not possible to change which card is utilized anywhere because the nvidia card isn't recognized as installed. 

I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall the nvidia drivers, and then installed the newest driver which didn't work. Then repeated, but installed an older driver version which didn't work.

I had the laptop plugged in the entire time, and checked the power mode which was set to turbo (max performance setting).

Fingers crossed brother will be able to figure something else out. 

This is probably completely unrelated but my gaming laptop started slowing down recently and I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why. I stumbled across the answer by accident; if the battery was completely charged and it was plugged in it was throttling the CPU for reasons that surpass understanding. I've got into the habit of running it for a bit before plugging in and it's been right as rain.

3 minutes ago, Parabola said:

This is probably completely unrelated but my gaming laptop started slowing down recently and I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why. I stumbled across the answer by accident; if the battery was completely charged and it was plugged in it was throttling the CPU for reasons that surpass understanding. I've got into the habit of running it for a bit before plugging in and it's been right as rain.

Thanks for chimming in.  The only thing I know for sure is the nvidia graphics card is definitely involved. Device manager is giving me error code 43 for the card. I haven't completed all troubleshooting steps I can find online, yet. Gonna wait for my tech brother to stop by cause I don't know what's hard on the pc or viable when reading through random troubleshooting articles, and have screwed stuff up in the past... ptsd >.< 

55 minutes ago, Harakh said:

The only thing I know for sure is the nvidia graphics card is definitely involved. Device manager is giving me error code 43 for the card.

Here's Microsoft's article on Error Code 43.  Basically, as you already figured out, it means the device isn't working properly.  I've browsed a few other articles on the matter, and some are advising to try changing the power profile to "always on" and/or "maximum performance", and others are suggesting using a driver cleaner to completely remove all traces of the Nvidia drivers, then reinstall them.  Anyway, keep us apprised!

Edited by biostem

27 minutes ago, biostem said:

Here's Microsoft's article on Error Code 43.  Basically, as you already figured out, it means the device isn't working properly.  I've browsed a few other articles on the matter, and some are advising to try changing the power profile to "always on" and/or "maximum performance", and others are suggesting using a driver cleaner to completely remove all traces of the Nvidia drivers, then reinstall them.  Anyway, keep us apprised!

Yes, what you said has been done/checked and had no change. 

I shall update when I know something new.

• Thumbs Up 1

sometimes laptop manufactures issue drivers modified from originals.. check on laptop manufactur site if he has different driver or if he links to nvidia... if nothing helps (biostems advices about the errorcode) then maybe u have the rare issue that the card chip on the board is truly defective.. hopefully u still have warranty on it to get it replaced.

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

1 hour ago, biostem said:

OK.  Here is the link to ASUS's driver download page for the FX506HM, just in case you need it...

Thank you, this was the actual first new info ^.^

It didn't work however. Still waiting on bro...

♫♫♫ If I can see it, then I can do it ♫♫♫
♫♫♫ If I just believe it, there's nothing to it ♫♫♫
  • Thumbs Up 1

It appears its an issue with the actual GPU. My brother couldn't get it working. So I went to asus online chat and they wouldn't troubleshoot the issue as the guy said "He is 100% sure its a hardware issue." Looks like I'm sending it in under warranty.

21 minutes ago, Harakh said:

It appears its an issue with the actual GPU. My brother couldn't get it working. So I went to asus online chat and they wouldn't troubleshoot the issue as the guy said "He is 100% sure its a hardware issue." Looks like I'm sending it in under warranty.

Sorry to hear that, man.  Backup whatever info you need before sending it back - no guarantee that they won't wipe the drive/OS or send you back an entirely new laptop.  I'd also make sure there are no personal/private images or other files/emails on said laptop before sending it back.  Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1