Location power /powexeclocation bugs!

WindDemon21

I'm CONSTANTLY getting location target bugs for location powers? Croatoa is one of the biggest offenders. I've also gotten it in that, um, jameson park? outdoor map. The one with the crazies in the tina mac arc, but i get it other places too. I can literally be RIGHT on top of the enemy, and it will still say "out of range" when trying to place a location power on them. Other times, it will place the power UNDER the map, and not affect the enemies AT ALL.

It could be those areas dont have enough pathing beacons.  Using the power manually should operate by line of sight and work fine.  If the command causes the power to use pathing beacons to find the target it may 'think' the power has to travel way over there and then way back over here to hit and that distance is out of range.  You can sometimes tell when an area is a little low on pathing beacons when the enemies try to chase you using a less then optimal route or when they take the long way when you make a small movement.

4 hours ago, TheZag said:

It could be those areas dont have enough pathing beacons.  Using the power manually should operate by line of sight and work fine.  If the command causes the power to use pathing beacons to find the target it may 'think' the power has to travel way over there and then way back over here to hit and that distance is out of range.  You can sometimes tell when an area is a little low on pathing beacons when the enemies try to chase you using a less then optimal route or when they take the long way when you make a small movement.

Using manually yeah. I'm talking about the consistent issues when using the powexeclocation target command which I thought was supposed to be fixed when they "fixed" the teleport pool but i still get it all the time. Even on flat surfaces which boggles the mind.

I can provide more detailed information on this issue.

/bind <key> "powexec_location target Oil Slick Arrow" or /macro OSA "powexec_location target Oil Slick Arrow"

This execution of the command is, in my experience, the one most likely to display the problems @WindDemon21 is experiencing.  On any location with terrain variation, such as a hill, a scaffold, a stair, a raised platform, anything not comprising the base floor surface of a map, the command will frequently either fail to execute, giving an "Out of range" message, even when you're standing in melee range of the target; or it will activate Oil Slick Arrow, but Oil Slick Target (and sometimes Oil Slick Slick, as well) will appear to be absent because it spawned under the surface.

The problem is definitely not Oil Slick Arrow itself, because manually activating Oil Slick Arrow, manually targeting the power using the mouse pointer, and manually clicking on that location, always works.  Always.  That also tells us that it's not a line of sight issue, nor a pathing issue (it's a projectile, it doesn't use bacon, and neither Oil Slick Slick nor Oil Slick Target are mobile).

Another recent bug report indicated that /powexec_location cursor was using camera distance, rather than character distance, to determine range and whether to activate the power.  This suggests that /powexec_location target may be using camera distance as well, and that it's ignoring the visible geometry, the textures and bounding areas defined as "ground" or "floor" or "surface on which things may stand" on maps, thus causing it to spawn Oil Slick on the floor of the map's geometry box (the invisible container for the corridors and rooms we see and interact with/in), or failing to activate when the floor of the map box is out of range.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 1/13/2022 at 6:09 AM, Luminara said:

Another recent bug report indicated that /powexec_location cursor was using camera distance, rather than character distance, to determine range and whether to activate the power.  This suggests that /powexec_location target may be using camera distance as well, and that it's ignoring the visible geometry, the textures and bounding areas defined as "ground" or "floor" or "surface on which things may stand" on maps, thus causing it to spawn Oil Slick on the floor of the map's geometry box (the invisible container for the corridors and rooms we see and interact with/in), or failing to activate when the floor of the map box is out of range.

Thank you, I will try zooming my camera in next time I get the "out of range" message. I tried to remember the specific instances I get this error most often, but of course I can't. 😛

Coloden.png

On 1/13/2022 at 6:09 AM, Luminara said:

I can provide more detailed information on this issue.

/bind <key> "powexec_location target Oil Slick Arrow" or /macro OSA "powexec_location target Oil Slick Arrow"

This execution of the command is, in my experience, the one most likely to display the problems @WindDemon21 is experiencing.  On any location with terrain variation, such as a hill, a scaffold, a stair, a raised platform, anything not comprising the base floor surface of a map, the command will frequently either fail to execute, giving an "Out of range" message, even when you're standing in melee range of the target; or it will activate Oil Slick Arrow, but Oil Slick Target (and sometimes Oil Slick Slick, as well) will appear to be absent because it spawned under the surface.

The problem is definitely not Oil Slick Arrow itself, because manually activating Oil Slick Arrow, manually targeting the power using the mouse pointer, and manually clicking on that location, always works.  Always.  That also tells us that it's not a line of sight issue, nor a pathing issue (it's a projectile, it doesn't use bacon, and neither Oil Slick Slick nor Oil Slick Target are mobile).

It is definitely with the powexeclocation target command there is no question about that. Certain maps have more issues than others. I have had this happen on 100% flat land surfaces.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 1:39 AM, kwsapphire said:

Thank you, I will try zooming my camera in next time I get the "out of range" message. I tried to remember the specific instances I get this error most often, but of course I can't. 😛

I have actually tried this when the issue came up, and zooming in did not help. Fyi, one BIG instance where this happens is that final mission in Croatoa from Buck Salinger. On the flat land  by the corner of that war wall and where that final hostage mob is is a good example of perfectly flat land that it happens on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

I have actually tried this when the issue came up, and zooming in did not help. Fyi, one BIG instance where this happens is that final mission in Croatoa from Buck Salinger. On the flat land  by the corner of that war wall and where that final hostage mob is is a good example of perfectly flat land that it happens on.

I may be misremembering, but I *think* the place I encounter this most often is with Nightstar and Siege on the tennis courts in BAF, and **sometimes** (very rarely) with escaping prisoners. But even with NS & Siege, it's only like.. one out of every five BAFs or something like that. Not super common, just enough that I growl "AGAIN! GRAAH!" when it happens. I swear I'm writing it down next time! ;D  Thanks for letting me know that zooming in doesn't resolve it, I'll just click on the power itself and place it manually.

Coloden.png