"powexeclocation cursor" calculates distance from camera, not from character

nutspiano

I was trying to summon Battle Drones on my MM, but couldn't get the following to work:

/powexeclocation cursor Battle Drones

I got a message from my character, "Target in Air". I play fully zoomed out and was outdoors, and was trying to summon the bots somewhere in front of my character. But no matter how close I put the cursor to the character, even right between his legs, I still got the error.

However, I fooled around and found that the problem seems to be that the range calculations are done from the camera, not from the character trying to use the power. So if I tilt the camera down towards the ground and hover the cursor over the ground right in front of the camera, with my character far away, he turns around and summons the bots where my cursor is like he should.

I can see how that would be a problem for other powers, but I don't get why you would even need to use that command when summoning pets. Pets already summon at cursor location when you use the power. Having a macro to summon pets is the same as just using the power icon. You click it or hit number key, you place the cursor where you want and click to summon at chosen location. For that matter, targetable AoEs work the same way. Having the command work as intended is good, yes, and the discrepancy you point out needs to be fixed, but why bother with the command when it is already built into the power anyway?

36 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I can see how that would be a problem for other powers, but I don't get why you would even need to use that command when summoning pets. Pets already summon at cursor location when you use the power. Having a macro to summon pets is the same as just using the power icon. You click it or hit number key, you place the cursor where you want and click to summon at chosen location. For that matter, targetable AoEs work the same way. Having the command work as intended is good, yes, and the discrepancy you point out needs to be fixed, but why bother with the command when it is already built into the power anyway?

Speeds up input by removing that placement click. Turns activation into "point and shoot".

FWIW i routinely use forward:15 for that purpose

I can however confirm from previous testing that mouse "pointing" range appears to be limited until it "hits" air (related to mouse targeting range? past some point you can't click things, even though they're targetable) - and zooming / camera angle plays a role in that

Rudra, I trust RobotLove answered your question. Like you said, having the command work as intended is good either way.

Six-Six, I am not having problems summoning my bots, only with the "cursor" functionality in powexeclocation. Indeed, while "cursor" misbehaves, I am using almost what you suggest. I don't like the bots falling directly on my head like they do with "self", so I am using "0:10". 10 feet directly in front of me is usually an okay spot.

Fira, yes, pointing has a max range originating from the character, regardless of where the camera is, which is how it should be. You can visualize a sphere centered around the character if you move the mouse around before clicking, seeing where the targeting reticle "tilts upwards" from the ground as if to hit the inner walls of a sphere. My report is that when using powexeclocation cursor, that sphere is centered on the camera, not the character. Which I suspect is unintended.

• Thumbs Up 2