Wakanda Forever

Much-anticipated Black Panther sequel has become much-delayed. Partly due to, well, a slight dose of plague impacting work schedules (and release schedules), and a severe injury to Letitia Wright (shoulder fracture and severe concussion, which may have... influenced some other issues, shall we say).

But production is more or less back on now - Coogler has filmed as much in her absence as possible, and she's now available to restart. Couple of newish bits though:

• Release pushed back to November 2022
  • In Wright's absence, Winston Duke (the mighty M'Baku) has had his role enlarged and has had a consequent pay rise.
  • Also introduces Dominique Thorne (If Beale St Could Talk...) as Riri "Ironheart" Williams, with a D+ series listed in pre-prod.
  • Most of the rest of the supporting cast return, including Angela Bassett, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman as the "Tolkien White Guy" (sic) and mistress of wig-fu Flo Kasumba.
  • IMDB doesn't list anyone who looks even vaguely like an antagonist, especially not the rumoured one (Doom himself. But Doom is not concerned with who plays at being Doom, when only Doom is Doom. Doom is above all impersonators, etc etc.)

wig-black-panther.gif.28dd67f1b8289123650874cd48d588e6.gif

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

14 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Much-anticipated Black Panther sequel has become much-delayed. Partly due to, well, a slight dose of plague impacting work schedules (and release schedules), and a severe injury to Letitia Wright (shoulder fracture and severe concussion, which may have... influenced some other issues, shall we say).

But production is more or less back on now - Coogler has filmed as much in her absence as possible, and she's now available to restart. Couple of newish bits though:

• In Wright's absence, Winston Duke (the mighty M'Baku) has had his role enlarged and has had a consequent pay rise.
  • Also introduces Dominique Thorne (If Beale St Could Talk...) as Riri "Ironheart" Williams, with a D+ series listed in pre-prod.
  • Most of the rest of the supporting cast return, including Angela Bassett, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman as the "Tolkien White Guy" (sic) and mistress of wig-fu Flo Kasumba.
  • IMDB doesn't list anyone who looks even vaguely like an antagonist, especially not the rumoured one (Doom himself. But Doom is not concerned with who plays at being Doom, when only Doom is Doom. Doom is above all impersonators, etc etc.)

I'd like to see Winston Duke be the next Panther.  He was good on Person of Interest.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 1/16/2022 at 3:45 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Only Doom is Doom is very true.

Hollywood is just too stupid to grasp the true performance that is DOOM!!!

On 1/16/2022 at 9:45 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

But Doom is not concerned with who plays at being Doom, when only Doom is Doom. Doom is above all impersonators,...

I read that hearing Maurice LeMarche's voice in my mind.  😁  ( Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spider-Man, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3)

"Tolkien White Guy" is likely the greatest pun I've read in a long time!

Don't know much about Ironheart so this should be interesting, or perhaps just a curiosity.

I'm really unsure of this film.  Its very hard to see it having the impact of the first one without T'Challa.  I've said it elsewhere, but the character should transcend the actor.  I suppose it is possible that it will get a boost from either those who go see it as a memorial to Chad, or those who go see it simply from a curiosity to see how they will make a Black Panther story without T'Challa.

I suppose it makes sense to have Doom in the picture, if it happens.  Latveria and Wakanda have an old antagonistic history.  Doom may even be a villain of a high enough caliber to off T'Challa without the fans getting upset that a lesser destroyed the Black Panther.  I'm guessing a death where T'Challa is not seen (or only briefly seen using technology similar to Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One) like a bomb in the royal shuttle, etc.    Come to think of it, Atlantis and Wakanda have an even greater hostility for each other.  At some point, they may end up doing a Black Panther movie where the antagonist is Attuma or Namor.

15 hours ago, Techwright said:

"Tolkien White Guy" is likely the greatest pun I've read in a long time!

Just to be clear, that pun was (c) Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis, who nicknamed themselves that on set. 

One of the great things about working with Brits on a Whollyodd production is that they don't take anything seriously except the work, least of all themselves.

(It's also occasionally a pain in the ass).

For reference:

As to the movie... that's an interesting theory. Doom might just be smart and sneaky enough to get past T'Challa's defences, which could make this a revenge movie.

Another theory - if you want to play Chad's death a little straighter - is that the Heart Herb may give great power, but could also wear out the body a lot faster. Heroics = sacrifice trope.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 4 weeks later
  • 7 months later

New WF trailer just dropped:

• Appropriately somber opening, honouring and transitioning from Chadwick. 
  • Still no idea why Namor specifically comes for landlocked Wakanda.
  • Mom’s very, VERY angry. Why?
  • Surprise… our first look at RiRi Williams and the Ironheart suit, ahead of the series next year. Interesting. Will that be a flashback or a solo story arc?
  • New BP is female, but no clue yet as to who. Betting it’s Nakia, for casting reasons as much as anything else.

On 1/25/2022 at 1:25 AM, Techwright said:

I read that hearing Maurice LeMarche's voice in my mind.  😁  ( Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spider-Man, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3)

Come to think of it, Atlantis and Wakanda have an even greater hostility for each other.  At some point, they may end up doing a Black Panther movie where the antagonist is Attuma or Namor.

You seem to have been most wise - Namor it is.

Also, I gotta say… when I think Doom, much as I love Maurice, I do think Roger L Jackson. For reasons.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:35 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

You seem to have been most wise - Namor it is.

Also, I gotta say… when I think Doom, much as I love Maurice, I do think Roger L Jackson. For reasons.

I swear it was an accident! 😂

Jackson is an interesting choice.  I'd like to hear a calmer performance than Mojo, however.  Doom always strikes me as calm and in control, at least until the surprise and "No! It cannot be!" moments.

• 2 weeks later

Tiny new bit: Target getting their sponsorship in early, with a rather nice little introduction to Riri:

Spoiler

...and not sure if that ending's inspired more by Tony Stark or Marty McFly, but yeah, that's a new meme already.😁

Also: rumours that Sacha Baron Cohen has signed on to play Mephisto in the Ironheart series. 

Insider-Sacha-Baron-Cohen-will-play-Mephisto-in-the-MCU.thumb.jpeg.9e0ccbf6477ad6c50cee46c889744ef4.jpeg

...yeah, I can see that, but also SBC does have chops, as evidenced by Chicago 7 and the recent straight roles in Canal+'s The Spy.

Magic v technology's an interesting one. 

The bad guy will be Anthony Ramos as The Hood: rather than stealing his gear from a demon, he'll have traded something for it with Mephisto.

Brings up potential links to Daredevil and Kingpin as well - as well as Secret Invasion, as Hood's ESP powers allowed him to detect Skrulls.