Teaming at 50

Mashugana

How does teaming work at 50? Specifically:

• Can I join any team and CoX will exemplar me down to the right level? At 50 can I run DFB and not mess it up for the lower levels?
  • Can I join low level story arc teams if I want to see the content?

I was wondering if I could take a 50 and go through all the stories I missed, get the badges, see the bad guys - all without worrying about leveling and maybe a little OP to make it really chill (I am usually medicated when I play so I like chill)

I mainly want to make sure I do not ruin everyone's experience if I come into Posi 1 with a kitted out level 50 🙂

Thank you.

• Like 1

You'll be fine. Take Posi 1. Min level is 8 and max is 15. If someone is level 8, they are limited to that level although they can be SKed to 14 with you on the team. You on the other hand will be level 15, but have access to powers up to level 20 and all the slotting with possible bonuses for IO sets.

"Why not just PL a character to 50 and then go through stuff while being uber?"

Because you likely still don't have a proper sense of how the build plays. You might find out you don't even like the build. Slotting out the build might cause issues if you don't have actual hands on experience with it. I have two accounts, and in all honestly I rarely PL my other characters. I have essentially retired my Spines/fire. I find I enjoy the characters I leveled the old fashioned way far more and anything which used 2x XP, and I still need to get more of a feel of while they are already level 50.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 3

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

30 minutes ago, Mashugana said:

I was wondering if I could take a 50 and go through all the stories I missed, get the badges, see the bad guys - all without worrying about leveling and maybe a little OP to make it really chill (I am usually medicated when I play so I like chill)

All the story arcs and badge missions you missed are available in Ouro. You (and everyone on the team) will be exemplared to the max level of the arc/mission.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

26 minutes ago, Mashugana said:

At 50 can I run DFB and not mess it up for the lower levels?

I love to occasionally take one of my 50s down to run a DFB. Most of your powers will get turned off, of course. However, a proc in an attuned enhancement will still fire, for instance. So, with Oklahoman, I'm throwing off a pretty good PBAoE heal a lot of times when I attack. I like to secretly pass the level 50+ enhancements out to the rest of the team, and sometimes I sponsor "bounties" for whoever gets the kill shot on Tinder, for earning the 2 badges, for each meatball, etc. I hope that I can add to that experience for the low level characters to make them want to keep playing the game.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

I love to occasionally take one of my 50s down to run a DFB. Most of your powers will get turned off, of course. However, a proc in an attuned enhancement will still fire, for instance. So, with Oklahoman, I'm throwing off a pretty good PBAoE heal a lot of times when I attack. I like to secretly pass the level 50+ enhancements out to the rest of the team, and sometimes I sponsor "bounties" for whoever gets the kill shot on Tinder, for earning the 2 badges, for each meatball, etc. I hope that I can add to that experience for the low level characters to make them want to keep playing the game.

Yes! I love doing this too.  I enjoy a challenge but man, life is hard. Sometimes I just want to sweep through a zone like a god. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uun said:

All the story arcs and badge missions you missed are available in Ouro. You (and everyone on the team) will be exemplared to the max level of the arc/mission.

Thank you. So if I want to run Posi do I join a team that is advertising in the LFG channel? Or do I have to go through oroboros?

Or do both work?

Thanks 🙂

30 minutes ago, Mashugana said:

Thank you. So if I want to run Posi do I join a team that is advertising in the LFG channel? Or do I have to go through oroboros?

Or do both work?

Just join any team and you'll be automatically exemplared to either the leader or the person who owns the mission the leader has set for the team (usually the same person but can be anyone on the team if the leader so chooses).

For Task Forces, once it is started, you are either exemplared to the team leader or to the maximum level of the task force, if the team leader was higher level than that.  So if you join a Positron 1 in Steel Canyon and the team leader is 30, you will be 30.  Once they begin the task force, you will be 15 (and so will they).  However, if the team leader is 10, you'll still be 10 when the task force is started because it's above the minimum but below the maximum.  Sometimes for this reason the person who organized the team will ask if someone higher level wants the star before beginning.   Or not.  Up to them and the team.

There IS an Ouroboros version of Positron's task force but it's not the same.  It's the older original version.  Sometimes you'll see people advertise that but much more commonly people just run "Posi 1" or "Posi 2".  That means Steel Canyon to start.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Your plan to 50 then see the world is completely viable in the game

Wait, are you being snarky?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mashugana said:

How does teaming work at 50? Specifically:

• Can I join any team and CoX will exemplar me down to the right level?

You will exemplar down to the level of the team leader. If you are 50, and team leader is 6, you will put down to 6. You will have all the powers you had up to level 6. Anything AFTER that will be greyed out and unavailable for use UNTIL the leader reaches the level you unlocked those abilities at.

For instance: Let's say youre a level 50 Tanker. With Invulnerability/Super Strength.

You take Resist Physical Damage and are given Jab at character creation - this is level 1.

At level 2 you take Temp Invulnerability.

At level 3 you take Punch.

At 4 you get Fly, at 5 you take Haymaker, and at 6 you take Resist Elements.

If you've exemplar'd down to level 6, THESE will be all the powers from your class that you have, and in that order. BECAUSE your powers are locked in at the level you get them at, most "builds" youll find here on the forums have a specific progression for them so that way you can exemplar down without issue. For instance, let's say you respec a Stalker once you reach level 50, and take Assassin's Strike as your level 40 power. That means, if you examplar down BELOW 40, your stalker would not be able to use assassin's strike. 

• At 50 can I run DFB and not mess it up for the lower levels?

No. DFB has a different progression than Examplar-ing though, as all of it's kin do.

For instance: If youre in a positron youll be level 15, and allowed access to your power progression UP TO level 20.

• Can I join low level story arc teams if I want to see the content?

I mainly want to make sure I do not ruin everyone's experience if I come into Posi 1 with a kitted out level 50 🙂

Thank you.

Youll be fine. Any "level set" content will set your level to where it needs to be, and if youre on a team your level be lowered to the leader's. This can get annoying if you respec at 50, and forgot to take specific powers in specific progression so you dont LOSE them when you examplar down. BUT, that's more a matter for the forum page dedicated to whatever your class is let's say a Tanker - if you wanted guidance for a Invul/SS tanker ideal power progression you should make a post on the Tanker subforum.

• Like 1

Resident certified baby

10 minutes ago, Redletter said:

You will exemplar down to the level of the team leader. If you are 50, and team leader is 6, you will put down to 6. You will have all the powers you had up to level 6. Anything AFTER that will be greyed out and unavailable for use UNTIL the leader reaches the level you unlocked those abilities at.

When you exemplar, you have access to powers taken up to 5 levels above your effective level. So if you exemplar to lvl 6, you would have access to powers taken up to lvl 10. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Don't forget to open up Options and find the sliders to automatically accept team invites for level differences.  I mean, you still can team without doing this, but this saves you having to click "yes" every time.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/The_Players'_Guide_to_the_Cities/User_Interface/Options_Window#Team_Options

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

20 hours ago, Mashugana said:

There's a recent thread about this issue.  It absolutely happens that maxed out toons exemplar down to lower level content and risk making other people feel like they're just "leeching" and not contributing.

I think the best way to get to the content you missed on your 50 is to run Ouroboros missions, which means you're forming the teams yourself, and that the people join you know what they're getting into.  

Another other good way to access the missed content is to just make a new toon.

I know a good portion of the player base are be happy to have a high level come join their task force and make it go smoother and faster.  After all, door sitting on farms is a big thing in this game.  But there are also a large group of players who feel strongly against playing on on teams like this. 

I think the fact that you're thinking about it, is a place for you to be.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow