Brass Jaw?

Attache

Brass Jaw would pop into my head from time -to-time as a pun on Glass Jaw even going back to Live  but I never made him until now. Steampunk isn't really my jam but the idea here is that it is a steam-powered robot from the Victorian-era designed to be some rich inventor's majordomo and bodyguard, accounting for his more human-like face.

I am kind of warming up to him but not 100% on the name. The Beastly Rage Chest aura set to dark orange makes those orange chevrons appear to pulsating, suggesting some kind of fire burning within. He is a bio armor tanker with the SFX minimized, which leaves a lot of smoky effects happening in various places. 

Thoughts?

brass_jaw_1.png.1544e9467bc15c09072c6692a322b0da.pngbrass_jaw_2.thumb.png.1fb36aea5c78d3f85aa1afab05d27e55.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Attache on Everlasting (Formely Virtue and Pinnacle)

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Blue Weasel || Big League || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter ||  Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

• 3 weeks later
On 2/9/2022 at 4:03 AM, Attache said:

Brass Jaw would pop into my head from time -to-time as a pun on Glass Jaw even going back to Live  but I never made him until now. Steampunk isn't really my jam but the idea here is that it is a steam-powered robot from the Victorian-era designed to be some rich inventor's majordomo and bodyguard, accounting for his more human-like face.

I am kind of warming up to him but not 100% on the name. The Beastly Rage Chest aura set to dark orange makes those orange chevrons appear to pulsating, suggesting some kind of fire burning within. He is a bio armor tanker with the SFX minimized, which leaves a lot of smoky effects happening in various places. 

Thoughts?

brass_jaw_1.png.1544e9467bc15c09072c6692a322b0da.pngbrass_jaw_2.thumb.png.1fb36aea5c78d3f85aa1afab05d27e55.png

If I may suggest, the color scheme for Brass Jaw appears to be aged bronze rather than brass.  Brass is closer to gold in color while bronze is closer to copper.

image.png.11c580f291394560b0489bf797917e61.png

In certain circumstances, a brass-like look can be achieved with our color chart.  Case in point, my Brass Dragon.  Depending on which piece of armor, the color scheme will look practically like shiny brass (Chest, legs, helmet), or perhaps more like dull brass (shoulders, gloves, boots).  There's nothing to be done for the finish unfortunately, but it's a brass look regardless.

image.png.bdb392dc33d780a87183cde33cf43c32.png

I was able to achieve this with just two colors from our color chart.  The gold highlighted, and the yellow just below it.  I've experimented with each piece, sometimes swapping which is primary and which is secondary to achieve the strongest look possible for each piece.  On a couple of pieces, I slightly deviated to another color on the same line, due to the finish of each piece, but generally it is just those two colors.  Perhaps that will help you, if for nothing else than a second suit.

image.png.73ba5b8fedd45a65a6f1299f7574fbc4.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

the color scheme for Brass Jaw appears to be aged bronze rather than brass

Wouldn't the color vary depending upon how much copper was in the mix?  The below image has various examples of brass pots and pans, all with different hues...

0311080001-01-Brass-Utensils.jpg

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, biostem said:

Wouldn't the color vary depending upon how much copper was in the mix?  The below image has various examples of brass pots and pans, all with different hues...

0311080001-01-Brass-Utensils.jpg

Well, this has been an interesting picture.  Interesting as in, it sent me digging in research for a bit.  Not knocking you, but I'm not convinced everything there is brass.  Those pans on the bottom appear pure copper.  But sure, why not?

I did learn something myself, though. (Knowledge! Yay!)  There is a "red brass", and yes, it does have a 10% to 20% higher copper content.  So, yes, a darker color would be possible.  However, several sites point out that the term "red brass" is a misnomer.  It's technically a bronze because it has tin in it in addition to copper and zinc.   So, curiously, everybody ends up right on this, just for different reasons.  Nice. 😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Not knocking you, but I'm not convinced everything there is brass.

I mean, if something was 95% copper and 5% zinc, wouldn't it still technically be brass?  I could absolutely be wrong, here, but other than being "an alloy of copper and zinc", is there any limiting factor?  Is 99% copper and 1% zinc still brass?  Just playing devil's advocate...

• Like 1

Hey! I didn't realize this had gotten a few responses! Apologies, been away from the forums for a bit.

I was going for a tarnished brass but maybe I could afford to brighten him up a little! Thanks for the input!

@Attache on Everlasting (Formely Virtue and Pinnacle)

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Blue Weasel || Big League || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter ||  Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

On 3/5/2022 at 1:57 PM, Attache said:

Hey! I didn't realize this had gotten a few responses! Apologies, been away from the forums for a bit.

I was going for a tarnished brass but maybe I could afford to brighten him up a little! Thanks for the input!

Do what you love good sir/madame/small furry creature from Alpha Centauri. Tarnished brass is fine, or perhaps oiled brass?  I was merely providing a possible option.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 1:03 AM, Attache said:

Thoughts?

Beautiful! Before I finished reading the post I thought this was a take on a "nemesis" character, I appreciate the use of the Black Knight parts, which I find are difficult to incorporate due to how naturally dark they are (even at their brightest theyre like, a dark grey).

I like to think his mustache is actually little steam pipes that make steam locomative noises like "choo choo" or "choooosh" and blow smoke to drmatic or comedic effect...

• Like 1

Resident certified baby