XP and Mob number questions

CaptainIcyHot

Hi!

I have just started to play around with the Mission Architect and am confused about the following:

Do you have to have Bosses in a mission in order for there to not be some kind of penalty? For example, if I make an all Lieutenant mission, would the LTs be at full INF and EXP value? If not, why?

Are boss spawns needed to get the maximum number of critters on a map? 

Are there any other penalties for excluding one category of critter?

Thanks!

Only recognized AE mishes (gold seal) run at full XP for anything. Since you’re asking about that, I assume you’re wanting to make a farm?

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

When making custom critters (any rank), there is gauge at the top of the power selection screen that shows the % of xp they are worth.  The fewer powers the critters have, the less xp.  Add powers to them until the gauge reads 100%.  You can add even more powers to the critter if you want, but you can never go above 100%.  To also get to 100% xp worth, the critter must have at least 1 melee and 1 ranged power.  

Then to make all LTs spawn... make a custom group with only LTs in it.  You do not need to add in minions or bosses.  Then add your custom group to the mish and the map will populate with just your LTs.  Spawn sizes will be according to the team size as usual.  If you gave your LTs full 100% with their powers, then they'll award full xp.  But even then, LTs at full xp reward less than Bosses at full xp.

Edited by Frozen Burn

As stated by others gimping a mission in the Mission Architect does result in some penalties which tend to be somewhat balanced with the level of gimpage.

Whether creating easy enemies (few or limited powers) or trying to create easy missions, there are impacts.

If creating content for story, xp gain matters less.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, @Frozen Burn, but that's incorrect. If an enemy group does not contain at least one of each main rank (minion, lt, and boss), any critter in that group will NOT award full XP. This is why farms will have all 3 ranks instead of say, just bosses.

Ah, ok.  Cool.  Did not know that all 3 ranks (min-boss) were needed to gain that full XP still.  Thanks for the info.

But it does still stand that you have to give your custom critters (any rank) enough powers to award that full XP - just because you load in all 3 ranks (min, LT, Boss) doesn't mean you get full XP if you limit their powers.  The default setting when creating a custom critter is 75% XP, if i recall correctly and you typically need to add a power or 2 to get the critter to award full 100% XP.  ...then just be sure to create Mins, LTs, and Bosses to load in, as you stated to get that full XP.  

Edited by Frozen Burn

One exception: In a "Boss" detail, the critter selected as the "Boss" is not penalized for lacking minion+LT+boss enemy group diversity. The surrounding spawn, if any, may be penalized.

This can be seen in "Bads" style farms. If the author creates only bosses/EBs/AVs, and constructs the mission so that "Boss" details spawn alone, then there is no penalty for lacking minions or LTs.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:01 PM, cranebump said:

Only recognized AE mishes (gold seal) run at full XP for anything. Since you’re asking about that, I assume you’re wanting to make a farm?

Not specifically farms only but I want to understand the mechanics of AE so I don't unnecessarily gimp the XP/INF. Knowledge is power 🌈

It does seem like excluding critter levels affects the amount of XP you get. I'll have to take a look at a B/EB only farm and see what is going on there for XP/INF. It may just be that those give so much XP at low levels (the only time people use those farms) that we haven't noticed a penalty.  I will also test the Gold Star vs. not Gold Star as well. I do believe I remember hearing that in the olden days.

Thanks!