Noob question about damage procs and level

Todd Z

IO levels are mostly about set bonuses and when you can slot them. I honestly slot so many attuned IOs these days. This way if I need to remove them for any reason another build can can use them asap. I know people who use max level IOs and them get them to +5, but I only do those for common IOs. I default to converting a specific level IOs to attuned as soon as I get the chance. They cost the same on the market anyway.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Procs will automatically scale in damage with level, regardless of what the crafted level is.

As such, there is no real reason to slot it as a level 50 enhancement. Either lowest level or attuned is great.

/agree, with some juice. First the drippings:

• Level 50's can be boosted to 50+5 (max)
  • Enhancement converters can turn any PVP piece into any other PVP piece
  • The auction house buckets individual PVP pieces independent of level (allowing 'conversion' of a non-50 piece into a level 50 piece)

Now the gravy:

• convert (or use AH) the non-level 50 pieces into lvl 50 pieces that you will use and boost them to 50+5

IIRC you can't boost the %proc pieces, but you can convert a 50+x piece into a proc! There is no advantage to trying to boost a straight %proc piece.

• convert (or use AH) the sub-50 pieces into the %proc you want... and attune them (or use AH to attune) so that your characters can slot them ASAP.

You will lose some money on the vig if you use the AH only to convert, but no prayers to RNGesus are required.

For example: If I got a level 50 Shield Wall Global, it is more valuable to me as a level 50+5 Defense (or Defense/Endurance) piece. Roll that level 25 Experienced Marksman PVP Fast Snipe piece into a global that you want attuned, e.g. Panacea +HP/+end.

Edited by tidge
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

IO levels are mostly about set bonuses and when you can slot them. I honestly slot so many attuned IOs these days. This way if I need to remove them for any reason another build can can use them asap. I know people who use max level IOs and them get them to +5, but I only do those for common IOs. I default to converting a specific level IOs to attuned as soon as I get the chance. They cost the same on the market anyway.

This.  If am slotting anything before 50 its attuned.  I have 1 toon where I've gone all out and swapped into boosting (+5) everything that made sense to, and then most things that really didn't, but it was fun to do anyway. Not procs/globals/etc obviously, unless they also boost a stat I wanted to boost. Looking at you LoTG+rech's.

The gains are completely, utterly, marginal after a certain point, but that toon is no fun to play exemp'd down, so I figured why not.

If I can figure out the alt build for another toon that is endgame/team focused, I'll boost the living #%^@ of that one too. 😄

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Several points of clarification. 

1. Set bonuses and globals continue working 3 levels below the level of the IO (or 3 levels below the minimum level at which the IO can be slotted if attuned) regardless of whether the power is active when exemplared. Set bonuses of purple and PVP sets ignore exemplaring and always work.
  2. Procs don't follow the 3 level below rule but do require the power to be active. As long as the power is active, you can exemplar more than 3 levels below the level of the proc and it will still work. 

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Exemplar_Effects_on_Enhancements

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

@Uun wrote nothing wrong, but there are exceptions to #2 (which is one reason why I try to distinguish between "global" effects and "%procs".

For example; The Preventive Medicine %Absorb piece does NOT have to be in an active power to trigger, but it is still subject to the rules re: levels. For myself, I have that piece in some pool powers I rarely ever use (Sorcery) or from some secondary set power that only works on teammates (but the %Absorb will still trigger if I take enough damage).

AFAIK, I only have a couple of characters that have that piece slotted in a power taken significantly below the minimum level for the set, and those characters don't take enough damage in low level content that I think I'd even notice if it was triggering (think Dull Pain on an Invulnerable Tanker).

• Thumbs Up 1

As other's have said, functionally, level is no different for the proc itself. 

However, personally, since I almost always use attuned IOs unless there's a specific reason not to, I also use attuned procs because if I had a mix of hexagon shaped IOs with round shaped IOs in a single power it would activate my OCD queasy-shivers.  Also, OBVIOUSLY the proc has to be put in the last slot.  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.  No other IO's after the Procs!

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

As other's have said, functionally, level is no different for the proc itself. 

However, personally, since I almost always use attuned IOs unless there's a specific reason not to, I also use attuned procs because if I had a mix of hexagon shaped IOs with round shaped IOs in a single power it would activate my OCD queasy-shivers.  Also, OBVIOUSLY the proc has to be put in the last slot.  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.  No other IO's after the Procs!

Back in the day i put them in my powers in the same order they showed for the set.  Couldnt have those words light up in the incorrect order.  Now i care alot less about that but the proc still ends up in the last slot most of the time.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:19 AM, Shred Monkey said:

No other IO's after the Procs!

Definitely on board with this!

Also if I have the same procs in several powers, they have to be set in the same order.

As a rule, lotg global always goes in my base slot, then any other defense uniques, then other types of iOS if relevant.

Winter sets always go in first. FFback always takes the final slot.

So many important rules! I'm pretty sure I get secret performance bonuses behind the scenes for my efforts. 😃

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:19 AM, Shred Monkey said:

because if I had a mix of hexagon shaped IOs with round shaped IOs in a single power it would activate my OCD queasy-shivers. 

I don't have OCD; I have CDO. It's just like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be.

Generally, though, if I slot a global/proc that I want even if I only five-slot the power (LotG Def/+Rech, Lockdown mag proc), they'll go first, otherwise they'll go last, because I'll slot the rest of the set and come back later for the sixth slot. Within sets, I'll generally slot by increasing number of aspects, in Damage/Acc/End order -- so a Damage, then an End, then a Dmg/Acc, Dmg/End, Dmg/Acc/End, Dmg/Acc/Rech, etc. in one power, then use the slot that lights up in the already-slotted power to tell me where to put the same IO in a different power (slotting several sets of Thunderstrikes, for example).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Generally, though, if I slot a global/proc that I want even if I only five-slot the power (LotG Def/+Rech, Lockdown mag proc), they'll go first, 

OK, I'm on board with this.  In a case where I'm slotting a global and then just using additional enhancements from that set to enhance the power and coincidentally get some bonuses, I may slot that global first.  LotGs get slotted this way.  So does Performance Shifter and in some rare occasions I've done this with the Health Globals. 

But damage procs MUST be last.  Even if there's a set partner somewhere in my frankenslotting, the procs go last.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow