A couple questions about Energy/

Lazarillo

Thinking of making a new Scrapper, I've loved Energy/ on a Brute for a long while now, and from the looks of things, it's even more solid on Scrappers, so I'm leaning pretty hard on running it.  A couple questions for folks who are a little more experienced than I (or just have some insight into things):

1. Best spot for the Critical Strikes proc?  This one's pretty straightforward, I suppose.  I feel like probably not Total Focus, since it's the power that would benefit most from actually landing a crit.  But beyond that, I'm not sure about bang-for-my-buck.  I'm used to Claws/ where it's really obvious.

2. Recommendations for Secondary?  Part of my hope with this character is to run some really solid debuff resistance, but I also don't want lots of scattering enemies, which probably means a taunt-effect aura (since Scrapper damage auras, last I checked, don't do much to actually keep mobs from chickening out).  I'm leaning towards the suspicion that Invulnerability might be the best combo of those two hopes, but I haven't really ruled too much out.

1. You are going to get a LOT varied opinions on this one. For pure DPS performance, ET is the "best" place for it. I've personally gotten my best results with it here and that has been backed up by actual math by others.

2. This is really up to you. But if debuff resistance is a big goal, that opinion is gonna be different too depending on what people value more being debuff resistant too. Inv IS a solid ass set, but I really think Energy Aura might be what you want. It DOES have a taunt aura. Look in to it. Type damage defense based set that is pretty easy to go above soft cap with, has a self heal, and you can get a really good amount of recharge out of it. All the scrapper sets that have taunt auras are good picks. Just remember Bio Armor is a monster, but it is absolutely a glass cannon. I have a EM/RAD that is WAYYYYYYY tougher than my EM/BIO and I do not notice a damage difference outside of measured runs. And I have a DB/ENA that is just stupidly hard to kill and my opinion on it's damage is the same. And no, I did not build them to be that way. I've got a Kat/Inv (I wanted legacy sets together and both sets are REALLY good). Inv is a hard nut to crack/kill. Seriously, any armor with a taunt aura isn't gonna be a bad choice.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have it in total focus. It procs all the damn time there and total focus itself doesn’t really matter if it procs. But energy transfer critting after a build up and total focus is an insane amount of damage. Mine is em/inv and it is a tank. 

• Like 1

I find I still need Ageless on a /en build as the DDR isn't top shelf. I would go /shield. It will add what you want, add more AoE to EM, and wreck all the things.

• Like 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

I find I still need Ageless on a /en build as the DDR isn't top shelf. I would go /shield. It will add what you want, add more AoE to EM, and wreck all the things.

I totally forgot SD, and I have a EM/SD 😄 SD is a freaking top notch choice too. Just got to remember it doesn't have a self-heal.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I hadn't looked too deeply at /EA, but it might do pretty well for me too.  Interestingly, based on comments here though, too, it looks like it has better DDR than /Shield? Or is that some sort of mistake in Mids?  My big thing I want is just sort of a "counterpart" to my /Will scrapper who can survive anything but is kinda easy to debuff to annoyance-oblivion.  I want to stride through web grenades, laugh at Sappers, and grin derisively at PPD Kheldians and similar Praetorians that like to stack defense debuffs with big energy damage. 

/Shield also comes with certain...cosmetic limitations so I'm less keen on it but will toy around with that idea too, regardless, just to see.  It is a solid set, from my experience, just one I tend to kinda forget about due to the visuals.  But since my concept is pretty open for the character I have in mind, it ain't worth ruling out entirely yet.

/shield can stack more DDR with its mezz protection. /sr as well. I just know what soloing /ea at x8 can do when -Def comes calling. On the flip side, it is basically a non-issue for my Stalker who solos at +3/x3. I'm not sure on Nin's numbers, but they would be lower as it has a heal and lower Resist. I only recently rolled one, so I don't have first hand experience enough to say how good it feels.

Stone is honestly pretty care free in how much it covers although Incarnates further adds to it. It obviously isn't attractive, but you can minimize it, and Energy resist is poor although capping its defense certainly can be done. Energy doesn't feel like that big of an issue, but I can cheat a bit with Ice melee. It can absolutely cakewalk certain Psi based missions where an /ea would pause at. My Ice/stone Brute basically laughed at running end game missions with packs of Psi-Cops and their ranged attacks.

A Sapper can be pretty easy to handle if you can mez them. I'll take Malta any day of the week compared to the mass horde of Mu while doing x8 soloing brings. They absolutely shred my Rad/fire Brute.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

3 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I hadn't looked too deeply at /EA, but it might do pretty well for me too.  Interestingly, based on comments here though, too, it looks like it has better DDR than /Shield? Or is that some sort of mistake in Mids?  My big thing I want is just sort of a "counterpart" to my /Will scrapper who can survive anything but is kinda easy to debuff to annoyance-oblivion.  I want to stride through web grenades, laugh at Sappers, and grin derisively at PPD Kheldians and similar Praetorians that like to stack defense debuffs with big energy damage. 

/Shield also comes with certain...cosmetic limitations so I'm less keen on it but will toy around with that idea too, regardless, just to see.  It is a solid set, from my experience, just one I tend to kinda forget about due to the visuals.  But since my concept is pretty open for the character I have in mind, it ain't worth ruling out entirely yet.

I actually really dig the Shield look and totally rolled a WM/SD cause of it. 😄

But this is my BS/SD's debuff resistance (I purposely went out of my way for recharge/slow resistance):

image.png.36d4099e3c3c081209a36393c02560c3.png

And my DB/ENA:

image.png.a00333f9fa4e5d208b2081e2063aa957.png

I don't have a x/SR for comparison there, but they have pretty darn good debuff resistance too, just lack a taunt aura.

*Put together a WM/SR for debuff comparison and went after slow/recharge resistance:

image.png.e69ed40b57cc201bfcaeac34685f941f.png

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

But this is my BS/SD's debuff resistance (I purposely went out of my way for recharge/slow resistance):

image.png.36d4099e3c3c081209a36393c02560c3.png

And my DB/ENA:

image.png.a00333f9fa4e5d208b2081e2063aa957.png

I don't have a x/SR for comparison there, but they have pretty darn good debuff resistance too, just lack a taunt aura.

The BS/Shield build you posted on the Pylon thread looked super spicy. Time to make a Paladin 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SomeGuy said:

I just don't like that it locks you into a combat stance, makes you run kinda funny, and last I checked, also prevents using emotes.  None of which is eath-shattering, but sometimes you just wanna read about Heroes Halting Havoc, y'know?  Appreciate the numbers readouts too, thanks.

16 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I just don't like that it locks you into a combat stance, makes you run kinda funny, and last I checked, also prevents using emotes.  None of which is eath-shattering, but sometimes you just wanna read about Heroes Halting Havoc, y'know?  Appreciate the numbers readouts too, thanks.

Oh! One of the powers you absolutely do not skip in EA does make you invis out of combat.

• Thanks 1

Oh, thanks for the warning! I knew of said power (I had an SS/EA Brute during the game's original lifespan), but for some reason I was thinking it has a minimal FX customization these days.  If that's not the case then that may indeed be a bit of a strike against it.

• 2 weeks later

I have 3 energy melee scrappers. Bio, rad, and shield. Shield has been stripped and forgotten I just really dislike shield. It's not fun unless its fully IOand incarnate out to me. And I like characters that are fun all the time. 

I prefer rad to bio, but both are strong and for pure dps I think bio takes it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2022 at 9:26 PM, Lazarillo said:

Thinking of making a new Scrapper, I've loved Energy/ on a Brute for a long while now, and from the looks of things, it's even more solid on Scrappers, so I'm leaning pretty hard on running it.  A couple questions for folks who are a little more experienced than I (or just have some insight into things):

1. Best spot for the Critical Strikes proc?  This one's pretty straightforward, I suppose.  I feel like probably not Total Focus, since it's the power that would benefit most from actually landing a crit.  But beyond that, I'm not sure about bang-for-my-buck.  I'm used to Claws/ where it's really obvious.

2. Recommendations for Secondary?  Part of my hope with this character is to run some really solid debuff resistance, but I also don't want lots of scattering enemies, which probably means a taunt-effect aura (since Scrapper damage auras, last I checked, don't do much to actually keep mobs from chickening out).  I'm leaning towards the suspicion that Invulnerability might be the best combo of those two hopes, but I haven't really ruled too much out.

The best place is Total Focus.  That way you can 5 slot Hecatomb in Energy Transfer, skipping the DAM/ENDRED IO of the set, since Energy Transfer doesn't use Endurance.  Then if you have room, slot in an another Damage Proc.

WP has a taunt aura too.  However, secondary can go to lots.  Energy Aura has a taunt aura.  And how could I forget Shield Defense.  That may be what you're really looking for.

Edited by BrandX

10 minutes ago, BrandX said:

The best place is Total Focus. 

Nah.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:57 PM, Bopper said:

I assumed this might be the case. Although TF will have the best chance to proc the ATO, the benefit isn't really there. The crit on ET isn't very strong (BS and your snipe will crit for more) and the power you want to crit the most can't benefit from it (TF). I would recommend slotting only the ATO proc into ET, then slot no other recharge in that power. Use it twice per rotation and I bet you'll find the performance to be pretty good.

Something to also consider, the animation time - hit time for TF is fairly large so you waste more of the crit buff window. Something to always keep in mind.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:17 PM, Bopper said:

Yes it will, which is why I say to only slot the ATO proc and no other recharge. You will have a 60.784% chance to proc when using ET(fast) and 71.917% chance to proc when using ET(slow). Assuming you're using it twice in your rotation, those odds are better than use TF once at 90% chance.

tl;dr Put it in ET.

3 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

Nah.

tl;dr Put it in ET.

If you want to just go for the 5 slot set bonus and not get the 6th for 10% +Recharge Bonus, sure, but the endurance reduction is wasted in Energy Transfer.  

Just now, BrandX said:

If you want to just go for the 5 slot set bonus and not get the 6th for 10% +Recharge Bonus, sure, but the endurance reduction is wasted in Energy Transfer.  

Exactly what I do. I find Heca 5pc (for my build style) better in TF with Glad Strike Lethal Proc. I do Glad Strike 5pc with the proc in ET wth the ATO2 proc in there. Or ATO2 set 5pc with Glad Strike proc in ET. ATO2 set has 5% AOE defense. That's...a lot.

My EM/SD for example:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Energy Melee
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Energy Punch -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(49)
Level 1: Deflection -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(15), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(43), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(45)
Level 2: Bone Smasher -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(3), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), GldStr-%Dam(45)
Level 4: Battle Agility -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(5), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(11), RedFrt-EndRdx(11), RedFrt-Def(13)
Level 6: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(7), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(7), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(43)
Level 8: True Grit -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(23), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg(31), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(37)
Level 10: Active Defense -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Whirling Hands -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(19), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 22: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun(25), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(46), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(47), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(48)
Level 26: Total Focus -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Hct-Acc/Rchg(27), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(29), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), GldStr-%Dam(31)
Level 28: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(31), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48)
Level 32: Energy Transfer -- SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(33), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), GldStr-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- Erd-Dmg(A), Erd-Acc/Rchg(36), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(36), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Zapp -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(40), GldJvl-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg(42), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46), LucoftheG-Def(49)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(47)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(25), NmnCnv-Heal(45), RgnTss-Regen+(48)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(46)
Level 1: Energy Focus
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 22: Double Jump
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
------------

My first energy scrapper is bio. I have him with about a half a billion build and all incarnates at tier 3, but none at t4. And it's fine but I dont, I really prefer the energy/rad scrapper whosnon a budget build and not incarnates out.  and shield would be strong too but idk, I like rad over shield for energy as well.

Once my rad scrapper is finished lvling, almost there and getting some incarnates I'll probabaly steal a lot of IOs from that bio scrapper as I dont think I'll be playing it much anymore.