New Rogue Arc [ID: 48759]

cranebump

image.png.cd0982650696590632413873c36c4139.png

image.png.da4e2c3df199c001012339429d4b83bf.png

Design Notes: 

*Started this some time ago, but it languished in development. Lack of ideas, motivation, what have you. Managed to get some more scripting down earlier this week. 

Then I found out today that my eldest son took his own life. 

Our family is spread out all over the States, so it was a lot of messaging and some phone calls (mainly the former, because talking to anyone has been difficult all day). He was on a ventilator at first. His mother (wife from 1st marriage), had him taken off when it was determined he was a vegetable. He died 18 minutes after being disconnected.

There are things to do, and we're doing them. Together, as families do during these things. My current wife and partner - best friend, my everything - has been there for me, including letting me sort things out as best I can. 

And so, with a lack of anything to do but stay busy, to not overly dwell (because this is life, and a part of it), I opened this silly little mish up, and finished it, today. 

It's not anything special. Just a little story about a "complicated" superhero (i.e, a Rogue, which my son would have appreciated). We lost touch over the years, as he rambled about the country, roaming from job to job, couch surfing, aimless. Did stints in jail, and in rehab. After this last one, he seemed to be on an upward trajectory. He looked good. He sounded good.

And then, he decided to drink again, and he wasn't. In the end, he let his demons get to him, again. 

This time, they won.

There's little we can do now, but wait for his body to be cremated. We'll meet in one of his favorite places, and spread his ashes in the mountains he loved (his vast roams did lead to beautiful places, too).

In the meantime, I can tell a story - this silly little mission arc - about a "complicated" superhero (he loved them when he was little). I can do that, and put his name on it. 

And then after that, I'll remember that it's Spring. And Easter. And it is Jackie Robinson day. I am sorry he won't see any more Springs. But maybe, just maybe, he's somewhere where it's always Spring,

Maybe he's some place where he can truly fly.

Thanks for listening, and everybody - I mean everybody - stay safe. Tell the people close to you that you love them. 

Crane

P.S. Thanks, @Darmian, for the chat. You're a good friend.

Edited by cranebump
  • Sad 5

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

@cranebump, I'm going to play the hell out of this.  In the meantime, from me, and frankly the rest of us here, be safe and do what you have to do.  I'll say no more, anything else is extraneous.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Take care.

Edited by Take One

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

A devastating story, and a wonderful arc.  Best wishes.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Terrible to hear. So sorry for your tragic loss. Keep your loved ones close. 

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc