Game Pad / Game Controller No Longer Works

Troo

Checked controller is working using https://gamepad-tester.com/ and it is working just fine.

On homecoming.. no dice.

Maybe since the last patch. (hard to say, I assumed incorrectly it was the controller)

Logitech 310 & PS2, neither work

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Do we have to add special "Extra Launch Parameters" to get a controller to work with the Homecoming launcher?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

So I can expand this to include both launchers and also a PS4 controller.

I've had the 'Options > Keymapping > KeyBind Profile' change randomly to Default in the past and had to select Joystick in the dropdown.

That does not seem to be the issue at this time.

While the controllers work in other programs they do nothing now in Homecoming.

Edited by Troo

• Troo changed the title to Game Pad / Game Controller No Longer Works
On 5/3/2022 at 8:06 AM, arcane said:

Boo. I thought this was going to be a popcorn thread alleging an archetype is busted in the wrong subforum.

hmm, could be why there were no responses. changing title.

Edited by Troo

it's almost Friday..

P l e a s e  H e l p

8gmdTQ.gif&f=1&nofb=1

@Troo  I don't know anything about game controllers so I can't help you there.

However, my posting in this thread makes it 87.35% more likely that a moderator will read your thread. Hopefully that helps.   😁

• Thanks 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

8 minutes ago, Troo said:

@PeregrineFalcon being a prankster and less serious poster has it's downsides..

I know what you mean. That's why I'm trying to help you out man... I mean respected gentlebeing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to assume your gender.

• Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

@Troo  So, did you ever get a response on how to fix this?

And is it safe to assume that you've already done the things like restart and verify files and all of that?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

So, did you ever get a response on how to fix this?

No response yet.

I did trouble shoot on this end to confirm that multiple game pads/controllers were working. Drivers were updated and trouble shooting forums were checked.

I thought at first it might be Beta or the new HC Launcher, but it is the same on Live and using the old launcher.

• Sad 1

Using a keyboard and pushing buttons in the tray with the mouse cursor.. I don't know how folks do it so effectively, I have been spoiled.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later
On 5/6/2022 at 6:09 PM, Troo said:

Using a keyboard and pushing buttons in the tray with the mouse cursor.. I don't know how folks do it so effectively, I have been spoiled.

Probably because CoX is the one game that is harder to play with a controller. I long ago gave up trying to map a controller for any build with more than three powers.

• Thumbs Down 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

17 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

CoX is the one game that is harder to play with a controller

Oh Shen I would have helped you.

Movement is great.

Mapping tray 1-8 and a way to switch trays.

Setting L3 & R3 to Select Nearest Target & Select Next Target is dreamy.

Movement and targeting is what I am missing most.

PS2.JPG.a2a346b35c754d9628b55329535df9fe.JPG

3 hours ago, Troo said:

Oh Shen I would have helped you.

Movement is great.

Mapping tray 1-8 and a way to switch trays.

Setting L3 & R3 to Select Nearest Target & Select Next Target is dreamy.

Movement and targeting is what I am missing most.

I've worked at it in cycles since early days. It "can be done" — but to me it never improved gameplay and satisfaction. It's inherently a key-masher in so many ways. For it to be a rewarding controller game, the whole power/trays system would have to be revamped. IMVHO and YMMV.

The mapping is also so nonstandard there's a big learning curve, which then — again IMHO — only gets you sorta-kinda-mostly to full engagement.

But glad the option is there for those who prefer it. I very much believe in "the freedom to do things your own rotten way."

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:16 PM, Ohsirus said:

Did you enable the gamepad under the options?

Oh, for the love of Vulcan, don't do that!

First you need to create a game profile with your commands. 
Logitech Profiler>Profile>New

Then go though naming and setting up command for each button.

Then you need to make the controller look like a keyboard to the computer.
Logitech Profiler>Options>Global Profiler Settings>Type of Profile to apply - apply persistent profile
(and almost most importantly) make sure to clear all the buttons under general behavior - this will stop the controller from being recognized automatically when you start your computer. 

That's the streamlined version, but see the full instructions for the Logitech F310 here ::

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 5/15/2022 at 4:27 PM, Shenanigunner said:

Probably because CoX is the one game that is harder to play with a controller. I long ago gave up trying to map a controller for any build with more than three powers.

I've been using a Logitech F310 to play City of Heroes since I joined up just before issue 2 dropped.

Works great.

The controller gives me full access to movement (including 2 travel powers [generally sprint/hover and a fast travel power fly/superleap/etc), auto run, target nearest, target next, select the blue  hand/left mouse click, a heal insp macro, and all of tray 1 and tray 2 (through the use of tray flip macros) [I even have one version that I don't suggest others use in order to flip to a third tray when running Kheldians.]

Things that I use the mouse and keyboard for - targeting powers with the blue hand/cursor (I usually park it on the back of my character so I can even avoid taking my hand off the controller to go through doors and click on glowies), using the mouse to select another player, and chatting. On rare occasions use the mouse to select a specific target in a mob versus toggling through a mob.

My hands are like 90%+ on the controller.

On 5/24/2022 at 12:08 PM, UltraAlt said:

Things that I use the mouse and keyboard for - targeting powers with the blue hand/cursor (I usually park it on the back of my character so I can even avoid taking my hand off the controller to go through doors and click on glowies), using the mouse to select another player, and chatting. On rare occasions use the mouse to select a specific target in a mob versus toggling through a mob.

My hands are like 90%+ on the controller.

Way too athletic for me. 🙂

The purpose of a controller, in my view, is to reduce the complexity of input, not multiply it. Using it in addition to keyboard/mouse becomes just "different," and doesn't really take advantage of either option. Not worth all the added overhead just so I can use thumbsticks some of the time. (Of course, I've been doing this since "user input" was to type out "GO THROUGH THE NORTH DOOR." 😄 )

But as in all other UI customizability — if it works for you, it's one more reason this is a great game.

Edited by Shenanigunner

16 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

The purpose of a controller, in my view, is to reduce the complexity of input, not multiply it. Using it in addition to keyboard/mouse becomes just "different," and doesn't really take advantage of either option. Not worth all the added overhead just so I can use thumbsticks some of the time.

It does reduce the complexity of input. My hands are on the controller over 90% of the time that I game. And that includes taking time to market and help on the /help channel which is all mouse and keyboard.

(Of course, I've been doing this since "user input" was to type out "GO THROUGH THE NORTH DOOR." 😄 )

Wow. It was just "GO NORTH" or "GET BOOK" when played that kind of game.

But as in all other UI customizability — if it works for you, it's one more reason this is a great game.

Yep. I've modified my buttons over time, but played with one the whole time since the week before episode 2 dropped.

I use it to play other games as well. All by setting it up myself, and never using the default game controller configuration a game tries to give me because they pretty much alway suck.

• 8 months later
3 hours ago, Tenks said:

Just wanted to let you know I had the same problem with my Stadia controller.

I solved this by using AntiMacroX to map all of my buttons to keyboard keys. Then no CoH rebinding was necessary at all and I just mapped my controller to keyboard keys.

https://github.com/AntiMicroX/antimicrox/releases/

I'll check it out.

I had to shelve my controllers and use a Logitech one which is awful.

• Thumbs Up 1