Dismissable Origin Contacts

Due to the amount of origin contacts that many players don't complete (and can't be completed beyond a certain level), it would be great if we could dismiss them from our contact lists. This would reduce a lot of clutter. Technically speaking, this could be done using the same mechanism as dismissing detectives.

If you aren't sure what I mean when I say origin contacts, click this link: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Stature_Levels

I don't understand. The origin contacts, which I'm guessing you mean the starter contacts since the later ones don't care what your origin is, can all be completed. (Edit: Actually, none of the contacts care what your origin is any more. So... disregard that part please.) The conflict comes in the tutorial assigning you to the newest contact that starts the Hellions/Arachnos arc. If you try to do those arcs and the origin contacts with xp on, then yeah, they can't be completed before you out-level them. If you skip the tutorial and just walk into City Hall and talk up your origin contacts though, there is no problem with completing them.

I am not against being able to dismiss contacts. I am just confused by your declaration that they can't be completed.

(If you want to do the Hellions/Arachnos arc and the origin contacts? Then do the origin contacts. You can complete the Hellions/Arachnos arcs in Ouroboros. Or turn off xp, do the origin contacts, then turn on xp and do the Hellions/Arachnos arcs. Whichever you prefer.)

Edited by Rudra

I only said they can't be completed beyond a certain level. For example, the level 1 origin contacts can't be completed at level 20. If you accidentally click an out-leveled origin contact, you'll have them stuck on your contact list forever.

Edited by Phanto
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Rudra said:

The origin contacts, which I'm guessing you mean the starter contacts since the later ones don't care what your origin is, can all be completed.

This is incorrect.

I can't find evidence quickly to back this up, but I believe that the origins arcs start to merge together as  you advance.

I can't remember at what level this starts happening, but, if I recall correctly through all my alting ...

Starts off with just your own origin for origin related contacts.

Then there are two origin contacts.

Then there are three origin contacts.

Then there are four origin contacts.

and heading on 50 all the origins merge together.

But that is just for origin related contacts.

As the game progressed ... merits were added for completing arcs. 

If I want to get credit for an arc I'm playing at that point, I would have to have the same contact and follow it through to the end.

How many players are going to be able start the arc together? Sometimes someone would join a team that had the arc that was several missions behind and we would go back and run their missions until they caught up to the rest of the team.

If it was an origin mission, there might be people from other origins that couldn't even get the arc.

So more generic contacts were added to the game which were not origin related.

I have the feeling that some of the original origin arc paths may have even have been removed due to the size of the game. (I don't believe this was a heavy handed as they have had to be with DCUO which is constantly whittling away at their older content to reduce the side of the game).

if you followed the origin missions it is a long convoluted story with *** spoilers**** about each of the origins and their interactions with one another.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

7 hours ago, Rudra said:

Actually, none of the contacts care what your origin is any more.

At least the starter contacts do. I have the feeling that there are still legacy origin contacts if you follow the origin contacts trail from other origin contacts instead of using the find contacts menu

None of the Praetorian ones that get littered into the content in the 20's or so ever had any origin relation nor hero/villian relation for that matter and you only get sent to these to start if you use the "find contact" button unless you are Praetorian and are sent to them by prior contacts, but even these may have some origin relation based on what kind of contact they are. Some are definitely more mystically based.

But one thing to point out, the villain group you fight against drops enhancement based on their origin, so if you are trying to save influence, you need to be running content from contacts that are related to your origin who will send you to fight villains that are related to your origin that drop related origin enhances.

7 hours ago, Rudra said:

I am not against being able to dismiss contacts. I am just confused by your declaration that they can't be completed.

If you get the book icon on the contact, you can't out level the contact - is that correct?

You can out level the missions, but the book keeps the contact open so that you can complete the arc, get the merits, and get the next contact (even if they immediately blow you off because you outleveled them.)

7 hours ago, Phanto said:

it would be great if we could dismiss them from our contact lists

are  you saying you want to delete them from the active or inactive contacts list?

I'm assuming you are trying to delete them from the active contacts list, if so you should still be able to do these missions even if they are held open by the book icon and the enemies are grey.

Are you talking about leaving Ouroboros arcs?

5 hours ago, Phanto said:

If you accidentally click an out-leveled origin contact, you'll have them stuck on your contact list forever.

Okay, so not stuck open with the book?

I think you can go back and talk to them and they tell you to take a hike.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

At least the starter contacts do. I have the feeling that there are still legacy origin contacts if you follow the origin contacts trail from other origin contacts instead of using the find contacts menu

No, they don't. Make a new toon. Enter City Hall. Enter any of the origin offices regardless of your origin. Talk to the contacts. They give you their missions. I make it a point of doing every origin contact at the starting levels with every character I make blue side. (Edit: Then the Habashi arcs.)

The later origin contacts? Got introduced to your character without regard to your character's origin even before the origin limitation was removed back on Live. You were just more likely to have them introduced to you if you were that origin because of the contacts you started with.

Edited by Rudra

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

If you get the book icon on the contact, you can't out level the contact - is that correct?

You can out level the missions, but the book keeps the contact open so that you can complete the arc, get the merits, and get the next contact (even if they immediately blow you off because you outleveled them.)

If you get the book icon, you can outlevel the contact, but you retain access to that arc and can complete it whenever you like.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I'm saying is that these origin contacts can usually only be completed within a certain level range. If you click one who is beneath your level range, they are permanently stuck in your Inactive Contacts list. Also, many of them don't even have arcs, they just have random missions.

As a person who doesn't like having permanently incomplete relationships in my Inactive Contacts list, I'd love to be able to dismiss some of these origin contacts, especially the ones that don't even have arcs.

For those of you having a debate over what the origin contacts offer or how they connect to each other, just look at this link: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Stature_Levels

I dont mind having incomplete contacts in my inactive tab,  thats one of the reasons its there.  But if the devs want to add this,  thats fine too.  There could be unintended side effects though by dismissing normal contacts that wasnt a problem when dismissing detectives. 

19 hours ago, Rudra said:

No, they don't. Make a new toon. Enter City Hall. Enter any of the origin offices regardless of your origin. Talk to the contacts. They give you their missions. I make it a point of doing every origin contact at the starting levels with every character I make blue side. (Edit: Then the Habashi arcs.)

The later origin contacts? Got introduced to your character without regard to your character's origin even before the origin limitation was removed back on Live. You were just more likely to have them introduced to you if you were that origin because of the contacts you started with.

I don't know when the change happened, but I remember different origin paths.

I was sent on mission arcs to fight Dr Vazh and the Clockwork King based on my Origin. I think both those arcs are out there and accessible in the Ouroboros if not by following the origin contacts any longer.

At this point, honestly mostly do a couple of DFBs and then hit Posi 1 and 2 and Penelope Yin and then random from there.

I guess I'll have to go back and not use any 2xp and see what I can find for myself. I'll make a science and a magic and see what contact paths are the options.

I'm not doubting you, but I know they used to be there. 

11 hours ago, Phanto said:

they are permanently stuck in your Inactive Contacts list.

Okay, so what is the problem with them being in your inactive contact list?

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

I was sent on mission arcs to fight Dr Vazh and the Clockwork King based on my Origin. I think both those arcs are out there and accessible in the Ouroboros if not by following the origin contacts any longer.

When the reorganization happened to destroy Galaxy City and make it a tutorial zone, and add Matthew Habashy and Twinshot as training guides to the game mechanics, the original origin-based contacts downstairs in City Hall (or Galaxy City) were removed from automatic assignment on first entry to the zone and had their origin-specific restrictions removed.

Your origin contact used to start you on a string of contacts that would give you a storyline specific to your origin, so the Science contacts would send you on missions against the Vahzilok that culminated in your defeating Dr. Vahzilok in the sewers, the Technology contacts would send you against the Clockwork, etc. As you went up in level, you would start to be introduced to contacts belonging to other origins, until you could have contacts of any origin.

39 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

When the reorganization happened to destroy Galaxy City and make it a tutorial zone, and add Matthew Habashy and Twinshot as training guides to the game mechanics, the original origin-based contacts downstairs in City Hall (or Galaxy City) were removed from automatic assignment on first entry to the zone and had their origin-specific restrictions removed.

Your origin contact used to start you on a string of contacts that would give you a storyline specific to your origin, so the Science contacts would send you on missions against the Vahzilok that culminated in your defeating Dr. Vahzilok in the sewers, the Technology contacts would send you against the Clockwork, etc. As you went up in level, you would start to be introduced to contacts belonging to other origins, until you could have contacts of any origin.

Exactly.

I'm going to work on following those original paths and see if I can map out the contacts.

I might have to go dig through the Ouroboros arc stuff to make sure I'm not going off path. But I think the origin contacts might still send you to the next origin contact so I'm going see what I can find. 

As I recall, they origin contact lines started merging as you leveled ..... like I said in a previous post in this thread.

I think there was and still may be an arc about the origin of the origins.

I don't know if it was removed or if it's just hidden back there so far away from the popular stuff these days that it's just not as easily accessible as it once was.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

The starting character arcs are not in Ouroboros. Except for the post-fall of Galaxy City arcs. So if you want to do those, you will need to hit up the contacts while still in their level range. Later arcs are accessible, to the best of my knowledge, just not the starter get-used-to-the-game stuff in City Hall.

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Exactly.

I'm going to work on following those original paths and see if I can map out the contacts.

I might have to go dig through the Ouroboros arc stuff to make sure I'm not going off path. But I think the origin contacts might still send you to the next origin contact so I'm going see what I can find. 

Yes, the origin-based contacts still send you to the next origin-based contact in the line as they did before the contacts were all opened up to everybody. So if you want to play that way, you still can. With a lot of the random filler missions removed though, you may find yourself running off to other contacts to help keep you going. Or hitting up radio missions for filler. Or alignment/moralities if you're 20+. Either way, have fun.

Edit:

As for the arc about the origin of origins, you're probably thinking of the Origin of Power arc available around level 15 (available from the respective Midnighter contact) where you talk to a rep of each origin and then fight the CoT in a mission of glowies that includes a reference to the lost divine origin. Either that, or you are thinking of the... is it in Cimerora? ... later arc that revisits the same idea.

Edited by Rudra

13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Okay, so what is the problem with them being in your inactive contact list?

Because I'm an OCD perfectionist and hate seeing incomplete contacts on my list.

Edited by Phanto

I feel you. It's so frustrating to open your contacts list and see all those incomplete contacts. And know that even if you use Ouroboros to revisit them and do the rest of their content, they will forever more be stuck at that same incomplete point. It's like... why can't Ouroboros progress their contact level bars?!

Edit: Please don't answer the question. It has previously been explained to me. I am simply lamenting the situation.

Edited by Rudra

On 5/20/2022 at 1:43 PM, Rudra said:
On 5/20/2022 at 9:09 AM, UltraAlt said:

The starting character arcs are not in Ouroboros. Except for the post-fall of Galaxy City arcs. So if you want to do those, you will need to hit up the contacts while still in their level range. Later arcs are accessible, to the best of my knowledge, just not the starter get-used-to-the-game stuff in City Hall.

uh, the arcs for fighting Dr Vazh and the Clockwork King aren't through the "starting character arcs". They are through other contacts down the line and I don't even think it was the 2nd or even the 3rd contact in the origin contact strings if I remember correctly.

On 5/20/2022 at 1:43 PM, Rudra said:

Either way, have fun.

Thanks.

It's more of a "task" than anything I will really have fun doing, because I'll have to be careful not to outlevel stuff as I go (I generally like a challenge but I know that would yield too much xp for what I'm trying to accomplish)

It will be something I'm doing when I'm not .... up to no good ..., feel like start a group, or see some group that I want to join trying to recruit from more. I have plenty of other characters to jump to for all of that.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:24 PM, Phanto said:

Because I'm an OCD perfectionist and hate seeing incomplete contacts on my list.

27119_6.jpg

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

uh, the arcs for fighting Dr Vazh and the Clockwork King aren't through the "starting character arcs". They are through other contacts down the line and I don't even think it was the 2nd or even the 3rd contact in the origin contact strings if I remember correctly.

I should have been more clear. Let me try again.

The starting arcs in City Hall are not in Ouroboros. So if anyone wants to do those, they need to do them at level. Any further arcs are available through Ouroboros. And Ouroboros doesn't care what your origin is, so you can do the origin-based arcs freely. There are two problems with that. First being that if you already have the contact started, it will not progress your standing with said contact because missions/arcs done through Ouroboros are TFs/SFs, rather than contact given missions/arcs. The second being not all missions are in Ouroboros as shown by the original starter arcs not being present, and I am not sure all other arcs are represented either.

Edit: To be clear, I am adding the secondary concern since I am re-writing the original thought. Just drop the second problem from the statement, and you have what I was trying to say.

Edited by Rudra

4 hours ago, Rudra said:

The starting arcs in City Hall are not in Ouroboros. So if anyone wants to do those, they need to do them at level.

Agreed.

That being agreed upon, I think that there are Origin Arcs in the Ouroboros. It should even be fairly obvious which Origin the Arc is related to if it is an Origin Arc.

I thinks part of the confusion is that I shouldn't be posting about what I'm doing/thinking about this in this thread as my goal isn't removing contacts from my outlevelled contact list.

4 hours ago, Rudra said:

And Ouroboros doesn't care what your origin is, so you can do the origin-based arcs freely.

Agreed.

Hence, my reason to start new characters and to try to track the arcs/contacts as I level ... currently working with a Magic and a Science character.

I think Magic merges with Natural first and then Mutation ... if I remember correctly.

Science with Tech and then Natural(?) (or maybe Mutation?).

4 hours ago, Rudra said:

TFs/SFs, rather than contact given missions/arcs.

Task forces/Strike forces are outside of the Origin Arcs but in some ways run parallel to them. Dr Vaz (Posi 2) being linked to Circle of Thorns (which is a weird one as I always thought Dr Vaz was science origin based on the Origin arcs). Old school clockwork (Posi 1) being linked to Circle of Thorns (so I guess that's the same weirdness).

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Task forces/Strike forces are outside of the Origin Arcs but in some ways run parallel to them. Dr Vaz (Posi 2) being linked to Circle of Thorns (which is a weird one as I always thought Dr Vaz was science origin based on the Origin arcs). Old school clockwork (Posi 1) being linked to Circle of Thorns (so I guess that's the same weirdness).

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. The missions and arcs accessed through Ouroboros are all treated as TFs/SFs. I am not saying you can access TFs and SFs through Ouroboros, though there are 2 of in there. (The original Posi TF and the Sister psyche TF.)

When Ouroboros was implemented, it was not possible to send a character back to out-leveled contacts and finish them. So the missions and arcs function as TFs and SFs so they can be accessed by the players and done at appropriate level (+5).

So the comment is that if you are using Ouroboros to do out-leveled content, you are doing it as a TF/SF because it was the only way to code it to make it accessible.

(Edit: Which is why we cannot progress out-leveled contacts by doing their content in Ouroboros, unfortunately.)

Edited by Rudra

14 minutes ago, Rudra said:

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. The missions and arcs accessed through Ouroboros are all treated as TFs/SFs. I am not saying you can access TFs and SFs through Ouroboros, though there are 2 of in there. (The original Posi TF and the Sister psyche TF.)

I think you keep on misconstruing what I'm saying to be honest.

I never said that the Ouroboros doesn't treat the arcs it gives like a task force/strike force, and, honestly, I can't see where I even implied that.

I agree that you can get the old style task forces through the Ouoboros in addition to arcs that you may not have done while leveling.

17 minutes ago, Rudra said:

it was not possible to send a character back to out-leveled contacts and finish them.

As I indicated, I probably should not be posting about what "I" was talking about here as there is apparent confusion that it is somehow related to dismissing contacts that weren't completed during leveling .... as it has nothing to do with that ... it is ENTIRELY related to following Origin arc contacts and to a lesser extent the Origin arcs that may remain in the Ouroboros.

20 minutes ago, Rudra said:

So the comment is that if you are using Ouroboros to do out-leveled content, you are doing it as a TF/SF because it was the only way to code it to make it accessible.

I agree that it was a method for Badge hunters to do content from outleveled contacts instead of trying to exemplar down to run missed arcs with lower level characters.

22 minutes ago, Rudra said:

(Edit: Which is why we cannot progress out-leveled contacts by doing their content in Ouroboros, unfortunately.)

which again, has nothing to do with my quest to try to follow the Origin arcs from contact to contact from level 1 and then track down those contacts in the Ouroboros and see which ones are still both in normal play and/or in the Ouroboros. 

On 5/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, Rudra said:

I do the same thing.  Then once you have all 5 AP City hall origin contacts introduced, they will in turn intro you to the next five origin contacts by level 6, and so on for each 5 levels.  I make sure to open up all 5 contacts every 5 levels so that I have access to everyone, even if I don't decide to do any of their missions.  If you do none of their missions you just have to go talk to them again in person when you hit the next level range for the next intro.

Back to the original suggestion.  Personally I don't mind have a bunch of "acquaintances" in my inactive tab, in fact I prefer it.  Are you super close friends with every person you know?  I find it more realistic to have a range of relationships from my contacts.  But I guess if it bothers the OP so much, I'd have nothing against removing them as an option.