Elementalist Blast Set

biostem

So we have fire, water, earth (seismic), and air (electricity) blast sets.  You may be able to achieve all 4 elements, if you include certain epic pools and incarnate powers, but not in just a single set.  I was doing some thinking, and there are basically 2 ways to achieve such a mixed set:

1. This is the simpler solution, and it would basically consists a mixture of existing powers, only smooshed into 1 set, (I'm thinking 2 from each element, with the last being a special build-up or toggle power that provides some special effect or bonus for each element).

2. A set that allows the character to freely switch between each of the 4 elements - each, individually, would be weaker than their single-element counterpart, which would be counterbalanced by some interaction between differing elements.  For instance, maybe attacking an enemy with a water power, then electricity, would deal added damage, or fire then cold would cause some sort of thermal shock effect.  It'd be much more complex to code, as you'd basically have to code like 16 versions of every power, (1 per element for no special interaction, then 1 for each of the 3 different elements).

• Like 1

Here's a sample for the 1st type:

1. Charged Bolts

2. Hydro Blast

3. Rock Shards

4. Rain of Fire

5. Elemental Dominion:  Click power, long recharge.  Tracks the next 2 attacks you use;  If they are of different elements, you gain a self damage and tohit buff.  If you use the same element for your next 2 attacks, you gain a self heal over time and defense buff.  This power would also place a special "Elemental Dominion" buff on you, which would trigger any special effects the power might have, (like water burst with tidal power, or rock shards with seismic pressure).

6. Water Burst

7. Tesla Cage

8. Blaze

9. Meteor

Edited by biostem

For the second implementation, the initial adjustment to each set would be pretty simple;  Replace the build up/aim-type power with 4 mutually exclusive toggles, each representing one of the elements.  You would then need to add a debuff to each element, and a special interaction if an enemy with that debuff is struck by a different element.  For instance:

Water attacks would apply "drenched", which would case increased end drain and recovery debuff if hit with an electrical attack, a steam blast effect if struck with fire attacks, or some sort of landslide effect if struck with earth attacks., (all effects up for discussion, of course).

Edited by biostem

This is a cool idea but I'd definitely opt for the second iteration. The title made me think of the dual pistols change ammo mechanic but with the four classic elements. Also I'd probably make the nuke unique like it'd be all four elements back to back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

My gut reaction is NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU because of the merging of the sets. However, thinking it over, you are only using Smashing, Lethal, Fire, and Cold. And that combination does make sense for an elementalist of some sort, be that individual an arcane caster, divine caster, nature caster, elemental avatar, or what have you.

So giving this some thought, sure, it makes sense. Go for it.

I'm not particularly in favor of either iteration over the other though. And I'm curious if anyone else has additional options for consideration. Not going to argue against this though.

15 hours ago, Normal Thomas said:

This is a cool idea but I'd definitely opt for the second iteration. The title made me think of the dual pistols change ammo mechanic but with the four classic elements. Also I'd probably make the nuke unique like it'd be all four elements back to back.

Meteor works for me, but what about Cataclysm (just for a name, it can be changed)? Creates a storm effect of cascading lightning and slashing hail that is shattered by the plummeting meteor? Though that would make more sense for a Judgement power instead....

Maybe Nature's Fury? Sets up a low DoT hot mud effect (fire and smashing damage) that slows and tries to knock targets down (they slip and founder in the burning mud) as a thunderstorm rains lightning (energy and lethal damage?) down on them? Duration could be 8-10 seconds.

(... I'm struggling here, sorry. I'm partial to just using the Meteor for simplicity's sake and calling it good.)

On 6/11/2022 at 2:22 PM, Rudra said:

Meteor works for me, but what about Cataclysm (just for a name, it can be changed)? Creates a storm effect of cascading lightning and slashing hail that is shattered by the plummeting meteor? Though that would make more sense for a Judgement power instead....

Maybe Nature's Fury? Sets up a low DoT hot mud effect (fire and smashing damage) that slows and tries to knock targets down (they slip and founder in the burning mud) as a thunderstorm rains lightning (energy and lethal damage?) down on them? Duration could be 8-10 seconds.

(... I'm struggling here, sorry. I'm partial to just using the Meteor for simplicity's sake and calling it good.)

Cataclysm is a good name. I was thinking of a magic spell in a JRPG (Lunar Eternal Blue) that you get call "Catastrophe" which is casts 3 different element spells back to back. For this set I'm thinking would be a water/ice based attack followed by a fire attack followed by a lightning/air attack and then end it all with an earthquake/ground fissure or a meteor. Probably a lot to animate and a lot of work to put into a set but I think if a set is being added to the game it should be more than just "a blast set with _____ damage" "melee set with _____ damage" or "a support set with ______ particle effects" you know?

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

there's an Elementalist Blast set on Cake servers which merges two of the same tier powers into one, each tier have a different combo, ie: tier 1 is fire/air (fire/smashing), tier 2 is water/poison (cold/poison), the cone is fire breath with the hand animation with kb added, nuke was inferno/thunder blast/tidal wave/blizzard all at once, pretty flashy. i like the ideal tho of a DP like toggle and making combos that enhance secondary effects, would be a lot of fun to play

Edited by lunariot

6 hours ago, lunariot said:

there's an Elementalist Blast set on Cake servers which merges two of the same tier powers into one, each tier have a different combo, ie: tier 1 is fire/air (fire/smashing), tier 2 is water/poison (cold/poison), the cone is fire breath with the hand animation with kb added, nuke was inferno/thunder blast/tidal wave/blizzard all at once, pretty flashy. i like the ideal tho of a DP like toggle and making combos that enhance secondary effects, would be a lot of fun to play

Well, I was thinking more like "pure" elements, only you can change between them.  Something like a "lava" se that combines fire & earth, or a mud set that combines earth & water, could be interesting...