Help with "Special" IOs

biostem

So I'm a little embarrassed to admit that, even though I have 100s of alts, I've only actually gotten a handful into Incarnates.  Further, I typically use regular IOs, and some even just use 53 SOs.  That being said, I have started to delve into the IO sets, and AOs.  There are some really cool abilities to be found, but I was wondering, short of manually looking through the lists, if someone had already delved into all the "special" IOs - not just the unique ones, but ones like the LotG global recharge as well.  Thank you for your input!

As you start to look through the wiki, a couple of general points:

"Set bonuses" and (most, all?) "Global bonuses" will shut off if you exemplar more than 3 levels below the level of the Enhancement piece... this is why many (most?) recommend using attuned enhancements (same cost on market, or use a catalyzer on a slotted piece). Don't use catalyzers on Purple/very rare pieces, and PVP pieces work better if boosted to 50+5 (PVPs that are below level 50 may as well be attuned IMO) as the enhancement set bonuses will work as if attuned. Winters and ATOs are always attuned; catalyzers make them "Superior" when slotted in level 50 characters.

Classic "Global" pieces that all ATO can use:

• Luck of the Gambler Def/+Recharge (global): The power does not need to be available (or toggled, or clicked) to give the +7.5% Global recharge (down to level 22, IIRC) You can benefit (in terms of the +Recharge) up to five different powers.
  • Panacea (%+HP/%+End), Miracle (+Recovery), Numina (+Regeneration/+Recovery): All need to be in an "active" (or a "click") power, Health counts.
  • Preventive Medicine (+Absorb): Will "always" work even if the power is never clicked/active.
  • Performance Shifter (+End): I've only ever used it in Stamina
  • Power Transfer (%Heal): YMMV, I mostly only include this on "high" HP characters. (Tankers, Brutes, Masterminds) who will also have...
  • Reactive Defenses (Scaling damage resistance)
  • Shield Wall (+5% Resist)
  • Gladiator's Armor (+3% Defense)
  • Steadfast Protection (+3% Defense)
  • some sort of Magnitude 4 Knockback protection (Universal Travel, or Steadfast Protection)

I also try to include Kismet +6% Accuracy (it is really +To Hit, which makes it MUCH better) if:

• The build has an Auto power that can take it, or
  • The build has a toggle power that can take it... at a low enough level, that will almost always be used (Stalker's Hide for example, or something like Shadow Fall)

The Kismet Bonus is a HUGE help before you start slotting Accuracy, and any character with a Snipe will get a damage bonus from it during Fast Sniping.

I'll let others explain %procs (especially in attacks), but I will say that generally %damage procs are more useful in low damage scale AT (attacks), see: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Damage_Scale

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Small note concerning procs, specifically what are called proc-120's (of which Panacea, Miracle and Numina's are included).  They can be potentially placed in any power regardless if auto, click or toggle.  They are called 120s because they function for 120 seconds after the power is activated.  In autos those powers "activate" every 10 seconds and refresh the 120 sec duration of the buff (so a player need only to be alive for them to do their thing).  Toggles work similarly, refreshing every 10 sec.  The difference occurs if the toggle is turned off (or is dropped because of mez etc., probably cancels if the player dies though ...).  At that point it will provide the buff for 120 sec since the last time the toggle "activated".  In a click power it lasts 120 seconds since clicked (i.e. activated).  This can be important if a set bonus is based off having the entire set placed in a power.  One example being Numina's which has a very attractive 6 slot set bonus of +3.75% range defense.  This can be placed in, for example, Transfusion or Heal Other both of which accept Heal sets.  The player just needs to be sure to use a proc placed in a click at least every 120 seconds to gain the buff.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tidge said:

The Kismet Bonus is a HUGE help before you start slotting Accuracy, and any character with a Snipe will get a damage bonus from it during Fast Sniping.

I'll let others explain %procs (especially in attacks), but I will say that generally %damage procs are more useful in low damage scale AT (attacks), see: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Damage_Scale

Kismet (which is another example of a proc-120) is indeed very useful at lower levels especially when the build isn't using sets and loads of set bonuses to help accuracy and final hit.  It will offset the base attack loss of roughly half a level.  Combined with defense debuffs carried by certain powers and sets (Katana, Broadsword, Earth Control,  as examples)  allow the user to hit foes who are 1 or more up levels compared to another set with the same overall difficulty.  A Katana user with Kismet has roughly the same final hit chance fighting +1's as others would have fighting +0's.  Of course those foes hit harder and are slightly more accurate  being +1 but ... 

Damage procs are more useful to ATs with lower scale damage mods at least in part because procs do a fixed amount of damage.  At 50th most normal damage procs do 72 damage (71.75).  For a Defender or Controller that's a nice chunk and more than a damage enhancement slotted would do.  Compare to what a Blaster or Scrapper would do with a similar tier of attack.  So a Blaster or Scrapper can certainly benefit from procs it generally pays to fully enhance (put it into the yellow or red) the power before adding procs.  The other instance is if the character is reliably at the damage cap as proc damage bypasses the cap ... so a Kin/Rad blast Defender might go very heavily into procs as they an cap their damage via Fulcrum Shift.