Graphics: how far would you take it?

Techwright

On 6/21/2022 at 9:58 AM, EmperorSteele said:

Too many "realistic" games look alike with no style or substance.

But that's just it for me... this game offers so much but often times looks blah to me. Granted, I am an eyecandy junkie and know it. But to see this world rebuilt fully in something like Unreal5 where fire can char skin and claws can cause intestines to fall out of stomachs? Describing my physical reaction to such a thing would break forum rules.

On 6/21/2022 at 2:49 AM, Techwright said:

I was watching a recently released YouTube video over breakfast this morning, one that was noting that the graphics of Star Wars Battlefront (2015) were ahead of their time. 

Frostbite engine is used for (I think) all EA games now. It's an amazing piece of tech. I was commenting on a Twitcher playing Dragon Age Inquisition yesterday, the water looks stunning, especially for a 2014 game.

• Thumbs Up 2

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

19 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Frostbite engine is used for (I think) all EA games now. It's an amazing piece of tech. I was commenting on a Twitcher playing Dragon Age Inquisition yesterday, the water looks stunning, especially for a 2014 game.

Sometimes porting over to a new engine can give the visuals a new lease of life.

Atlas Reborn (led by Irish Girl?) did a few test demos of CoH on Unreal 4 Engine.  

Here's what 'Superman' tech' demo looks like in Unreal 5 Engine.  

'Super.'

Azrael.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:22 AM, Shred Monkey said:

Personally, I wouldn't want graphics improve to photo realism.  I'd want the graphics improved to comic style anime level quality.   Think Arcane not Avengers.   

A Manga/Anime' style option.  That would be cool.

Azrael.

On 6/21/2022 at 2:58 PM, EmperorSteele said:

Yeah, I'd settle for the current semi-cartoony style, just higher resolution models and textures. Too many "realistic" games look alike with no style or substance.

Aye.  🙂

CoH has it where it counts.  Sublime playability and game design.  (Great care would need to not upset this basic core in any transition.)  Though giving the textures a refurbishment and being done in keeping?  Doesn't seem out the realm of possibility.  Even porting to eg. Unreal engine could keep the basic playability and let UN5's lighting engine do the rest.

I remember the C64 games.  'How it played' mattered.  Great visuals were a bonus.

Boulderdash Construction Kit is my favourite ever game.

Coh is proudly no.2

Azrael.

• Thumbs Up 1

If take graphics up to at least ESO or Final Fantasy XIV (actual anime style optional, aside from the hair. We freaking need good hair for men). I’d definitely want you he city zones and enemy groups massively revamped graphically and in design (looking at you, Nemesis), and, okay I’d probably generally just upgrade everything if I could. 

• Thumbs Up 1