New Title Option: Global Name

Ston

There's times where it would be nice to see someone's global name without checking it through a command, global friend list, etc.

My suggestion is to add an option to titles that is your current global name. It would sit right above your character's name.

Would anyone else use this?

Bonus:

Would be even better if you could do that AND see their global name between their character name and supergroup name in the target window.

Edited by Ston
  • Like 2

Would anyone else use this? Not me. I don't have much interest in others' global names. If someone turns out to be someone I want to stay in contact with, I ask if (s)he is agreeable to it and we become global friends. If I'm looking for a global friend's alt? I already have my global friends list open. And if I want someone to know my global name? I tell them if asked. So I don't need this.

However, I'm sure others would find this feature useful. Or at least find it interesting. So go for it. As long as it was an option I could opt out of, or rather, not opt in to, it sounds fine to me.

Edit: And by not op in, I mean I want the option to not automatically broadcast my global name. A player's global name isn't relevant to the game unless you need to send a message while they are offline or there is someone you don't want to run around in the game with. So the less I see global names, and the less mine is seen, the easier it is to immerse myself in the game.

Edit again: And yes, I know you said in the OP that it would be an option. I'm not ignoring that, simply restating it. I apologize for any implications otherwise.

Edited by Rudra

4 hours ago, Ston said:

There's times where it would be nice to see someone's global name without checking it through a command, global friend list, etc.

I still haven't really learned how to do that - which yes is on me - so that would be something I'd like to see.  Maybe keep it strictly a mouse-over thing only, or something you only get by clicking on "info".  (Now watch, someone's going to come along and tell me that IS one way to find it!)

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 7/20/2022 at 8:19 AM, ShardWarrior said:

As far as I remember, you should be able to get this from the context menu that pops up by right clicking on someone.  There is no need to manually type in a command.

Yes, you are correct. Gives you the same info as /getglobalname ShardWarrior

A couple thoughts here. It would helpful (to me, anyway) if I could right click the character name and select "Email Global" or something like that. I prefer to email prize money for MSRs, and my process right now is to right click the name, select Get Global Name, copy that global from the system window, open e-mail, create new email, and paste into the To field. I love doing DFBs with kill shot prizes for everything, but it is a tremendous pain to go through that process for 7 people.

Second, some players have a standard base for all of their character names - WeaponX Air, WeaponX Mez, etc. So, I know all those characters are the same person. A suggestion like OP is making would help me piece together the rest of us - for those who choose that option. 

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

A couple thoughts here. It would helpful (to me, anyway) if I could right click the character name and select "Email Global" or something like that. I prefer to email prize money for MSRs, and my process right now is to right click the name, select Get Global Name, copy that global from the system window, open e-mail, create new email, and paste into the To field. I love doing DFBs with kill shot prizes for everything, but it is a tremendous pain to go through that process for 7 people.

Oh hells yes. I like this idea. I love this idea. I'm going to take this idea out to a fancy restaurant.

Edit: There are times I agree to give another player inf' so they can get the enhancements they need, and they just up and disappear. They say they are swapping characters, but are gone. With @Oklahoman's idea, I could just send the inf' to their global and they can use it however they want. (Since I always forget to ask for their global to get this done anyway.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:32 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

I still haven't really learned how to do that - which yes is on me - so that would be something I'd like to see.  Maybe keep it strictly a mouse-over thing only, or something you only get by clicking on "info".  (Now watch, someone's going to come along and tell me that IS one way to find it!)

You click on them, and the click “add note”.  Their global will show up.

If the say something in chat, you can click their name and an option for “get global name” will appear.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1