Re: Weapon Sheath system

Starhammer

I'm sorry I didn't spend more time looking at this in Beta. Upon going through a few dozen alts today that this applies to, I'm recognizing it is more aesthetically disappointing than I realized. Katanas look wrong on the right hip. It's hard to imagine every katana wielder must be left-handed. This is probably the most glaring issue. Though some weapons just look terrible on the back as well, things that should clearly be worn on the hip, like Rapiers or Maces. This system really needs to present an option for each weapon to be worn on hip/back, and right/left.

Obviously the easiest workaround is "just don't use it" but I don't feel like you folks put in the work to make this system just to have it look bad or not used. Of course it's not something that could be fixed quickly, but it really should be fixed.

Lastly, the "Ninja Blade" category of weapons seems to leave too much space between the back and the weapon. 1192018811_backswordspacing.png.8097dbdc2562dedbf6e0c0150f95de99.png

Edited by Starhammer

Katana has always been a left handed weapon in game, hence why you hold it in your left hand when not in combat.

The problem (I think) with making choices like mace on hip is that the animation for mace always has drawn from the back, so the devs would have to re-do all the animations with the different locations for every single weapon power.

What this team needs is more Defenders

2 hours ago, Starhammer said:

Lastly, the "Ninja Blade" category of weapons seems to leave too much space between the back and the weapon.

Staff does the same thing. Is why I opted to still not have a staff while out of combat despite wanting the staff to be carried/worn.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Starhammer said:

I'm sorry I didn't spend more time looking at this in Beta. Upon going through a few dozen alts today that this applies to, I'm recognizing it is more aesthetically disappointing than I realized. Katanas look wrong on the right hip. It's hard to imagine every katana wielder must be left-handed. This is probably the most glaring issue. Though some weapons just look terrible on the back as well, things that should clearly be worn on the hip, like Rapiers or Maces. This system really needs to present an option for each weapon to be worn on hip/back, and right/left.

Look at how the weapons are wielded in-game.  Now, extrapolate how someone of that handedness would naturally draw said weapon, and thereby sheath/carry it when not in use.  More options would be great, but then they'd have to also add new draw animations...

16 hours ago, biostem said:

Look at how the weapons are wielded in-game.  Now, extrapolate how someone of that handedness would naturally draw said weapon, and thereby sheath/carry it when not in use.  More options would be great, but then they'd have to also add new draw animations...

The split second of draw animation is insufficient to justify how improbable it looks to be carrying a long sword on the right hip. I don't care if draw animation is changed or not. It's the continuous presence of an improperly carried weapon. It's fine if you like how it looks. I have no problem with that. I don't. It breaks immersion just enough to be an ongoing annoyance that impairs my enjoyment of the game on a character that looks "wrong."

Link is left handed,  or he was for the majority of his career.  So it is with katana users as well,  the only true heroic handed blade users.

Link was right handed in skyward sword but that is likely due to motion controlled sword swings for a majority right handed population.  He was also right handed in breath of the wild.  That gives a good argument for him being ambidextrous.  But city of heroes predates both of those games where the left hand is the right hand.  😛

Edited by TheZag

And the space between weapon and back is because of the umpteenth amount of options we have the the torso with armor and bags clothes. It is tough to account for everything and have everything perfect with each position separately coded. Way more complex than you might think