Suggestion: Thematic Power Customizations

plainguy

I would like to see Power customization based around thematic settings.

As an example 

Energy Blast based around Magic customization.

• Basic spell casting hand gestures,
  • powers emanating from a staff
  • powers emanating from a wand

Energy Blast based around Technology customization. 

• Nova using Omega Maneuver animation
  • Various blast coming from wrist cannons
  • shoulder mount cannons
  • chest cannons

Assault Rifle could get the same treatment.

• Full auto could be 2 uzi's fanning across the player.
  • Flamethrower could be wrist flamethrower as seen in various movies. 
  • Ignite could be grenade

There are many student graduating from college or unique schools that  want to do animation and I would imagine would love to have something like this on their resume for their interviews with gaming companies. 

You could probably get set up as a regular internship. I mean this is literally an amazing opportunity for anyone looking to do this work. 

What this would also lend to is future animations for new power sets.. 

Again referring back to the internship. 
You could have several students make animation sets for magic against Energy Blast. Then pick 3 animations from one student out of the nine, pick 3 from another out of the nine, and finally pick another 3 out of the nine. This would leave you 6 animation from each student to either use on new powers sets OR added over time on new updates. 

This way several students can say their animations were used in a publicly played game..  Again it gives them some resume clout. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

So they can put 'animations for an 18 year old game on rogue servers' on their resume?  I dont think anyone will be jumping at the opportunity except for those who already play the game.  Some people have left the team and some new team members have been added.  Just let the homecoming team do homecoming team.  You had a fair suggestion until you got to the intern stuff.

1 minute ago, TheZag said:

So they can put 'animations for an 18 year old game on rogue servers' on their resume?  I dont think anyone will be jumping at the opportunity except for those who already play the game.  Some people have left the team and some new team members have been added.  Just let the homecoming team do homecoming team.  You had a fair suggestion until you got to the intern stuff.

There not rogue.. NCSoft gave them the okay with guidelines.. 

I disagree with your comment about no value on doing work. But do not need to debate it.. Its a suggestions forum so both opinions are allowed an valid.

On 9/3/2022 at 12:19 AM, plainguy said:

There not rogue.. NCSoft gave them the okay with guidelines.. 

Where or when was this stated? Did I miss something? Last I knew it was essentially NCSoft simply ignoring the issue rather than confronting it, which is not the same as giving them the ok. But I also have not kept up with this debate for quite some time either.

It was never stated. HC is still a pirate server. Just one that continues to be ignored by NCSoft as long as HC continues flying under the radar within guidelines. If that has changed and NCSoft has agreed to make HC official, that would be both nice to have and nice to know.

21 hours ago, Rudra said:

It was never stated. HC is still a pirate server. Just one that continues to be ignored by NCSoft as long as HC continues flying under the radar within guidelines. If that has changed and NCSoft has agreed to make HC official, that would be both nice to have and nice to know.

There was some agreement with NCSoft when the changed the name or how it was displayed.. 
It was in the first few months of the server starting.. They did engage into discussion with NCSoft.. 
They never discussed fully what those discussion were.. But some stuff was mentioned. 
Then came some name change of some sort. Maybe an admin or moderator might know. 

But WTF this has to do with anything related to the post beats me. I am not the one who mentioned anything about the servers. 
My post has nothing to do with this. 

Edited by plainguy

I answered @Turric. I don't see any mention of your suggestion in my post. What are you so defensive for?

Edit: To be clear, I don't have any problems with most of your proposed alternate animations. I thumbs downed the post for the intern part. Which I am not going to argue on yet another thread.

Edited by Rudra

On 9/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, plainguy said:

I would like to see Power customization based around thematic settings.

In theory, I love your suggestion.  Knowing what (little) I do about how the game is put together, I think this would be fairly difficult to implement.  That being said, perhaps what they could add would be a series of aura options, specifically based around the hand, (more so than the forearm/full arm, as current ones are), which better reflect the various origins...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

Mmm... not necessarily. The shoulder cannons, wrist blasters, and what not? Maybe, maybe not. Devs would have to answer that. Though they may be able to steal animations from the Praetorian Clockwork with some adjustments for relevant power cast times. The staff? Just steal it from the CoT Force Mages. Would probably need to be tweaked to account for the different cast times, but would work. For a wand? Simply replace the Force Mage staff with a smaller stick. The only question that would really leave for the staves/wands would be: Would players be limited to the CoT Force Mage staff for this or would a new weapon list be available?

You can already use the rune aura to show magic effect for the character, so not sure a hand waving for spell casting would be worth the time and effort, but that is again up to the devs. (Edit: Though your idea of a new aura, such as a rune aura for the hand while in combat could work quite well for this. Especially with the single hand projection animation Energy Blast already has.)

And dual uzis are already covered by Dual Pistols, but that animation replacing the silly lob shots in an arc to fill a cone would be very welcome.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1