Claws/Ninj. - is this a good combo?

BurtHutt

Claws is one of the best scrapper sets IMO BUT it does not have burst/frontloaded damage like others. It absolutely feels different then the other melee sets. War Mace and Energy Melee stand out as feeling very opposite to me. Those sets are very crunchy in comparison.

Ninja is...a good secondary on scrappers IMO. It gets compared a lot to SR, and I agree to the why of that. Both sets have their strengths/weaknesses compared to the other. I've played both sets pretty heavily and I personally enjoy Nin more. That make it better? Who knows.

I've got a MA/NIN scrapper that I can't stop laughing at every time I play it cause the costume is Dan Hibiki and the character is named Ti Kwan Leep.

Edited by SomeGuy

I dunno about /nin, but claws is amazing. If you're ok not having a single big- hitting attack like @SomeGuy said, and lethal damage type, you get: 

High ST and AOE damage

Ranged ST and AOE attacks that knockdown (if you slot KB -> KD in Shockwave) 

Seamless- in-set attack chains using said KD

Low end usage

IO options from melee ST and AOE and ranged ST and AOE

Choice in slotting the FF+recharge proc and -res procs

you don't need every attack from the set to do all this, and you can do it all in the same build (though maybe not every build) 

All that being said, it's clicky because the attacks are so fast animating. Been building up a bio/ claw tank lately, what a buzzsaw.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

So I have started this combo and scrappers are not my thing. Is this a good combo? I don't see many talks about it or builds. I put together a quick build which is softcapped positionally. Let's chat! 🙂 

The only issue Ninja has is it's lack of Defense Debuff.

The thing about Ninjitsu is that kind of turns you into a stalker. Your crit chances improve when hidden. And claws on stalkers has build-up instead of follow-up.

I'm sure Claws/Ninjitsu will be fun to play, but Ninjitsu is slightly better for sets that have build-up and attacks that crit.

38 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

The thing about Ninjitsu is that kind of turns you into a stalker. Your crit chances improve when hidden. And claws on stalkers has build-up instead of follow-up.

I'm sure Claws/Ninjitsu will be fun to play, but Ninjitsu is slightly better for sets that have build-up and attacks that crit.

Fair points. I tend to agree but I've played a lot of combos and ATs. So, I am trying combos I haven't really played a lot - trying them out, if you will. I think Ninj is a versatile set and agree maybe it would be better with build-up and crits. I tend to team a lot so it isn't as important if I can max out damage on every attack. 

I think the only scrapper I have that made it to 50 was my elec/shield toon. Lots of fun but I tend to prefer brutes and maybe even tanks as they are more HP and can be sturdier. Anyway, something to do and I am not playing much these days so maybe this will inspire me 🙂 

Ninja does have the increased crit chance from "hide," but it's not that big a deal?  Like, the charm of the set is easily soft-cap the positionals + a heal + an endurance tool + some minor other stuff like cap your psi resist.  I don't know that I would fret about somewhat suboptimal use of the crit from "hide" business.

Something to note on the Endurance Heal on Ninjitsu, and likely more so for Claws/Ninja.  It's a 1 slot wonder.  1 level 50 ENDMOD/RECHARGE IO +5ed  is usually good enough.  Maybe two in another combo.  It's not a power, imo, to chase the set bonuses in.

• Like 1