Accuracy

Sneakers

Hey here is my main suggestion for the game.

I suggest that there be some changes to accuracy mechanics.

COH has so many epic qualities that has kept so many of us coming back.

Awesome art style.

Awesome costume creation.

Awesome Super Powers.

Awesome community.

Ok but the game falls down a notch where the rubber hits the road.

I've played many toons in my COH journey.

While I'm not a perfectionist, I can say I know the game fairly well.

One of the biggest turn offs in my opinion is indeed the combat mechanics.

And there has been so many changes to them over the years in attempts to balance everything somewhat (I get it).

Also the fact that there are so many different archetypes and each one has different innate bonuses and boosts that some are simply much better than others at certain things. Thats fine, it's the nature of classes.

Now this post could run on as you can tell I could just talk about COH for a long time without actually getting to the point.

I guess my point would best be made using a real in game scenario.

I'm a "Super Hero".

I'm attacking a enemy who is currently stunned.

I miss while attacking four times in a row.

I personally don't think that should be possible. 

In what real scenario would you as a Super Hero not be able to land a punch, and much less when punching someone who is stunned, immobilized or sleeping.

Now let me be honest if I had my way you would never miss or at best you would very very rarely miss. You might do just 1 dmg because you glanced the target or some other befuddled action, but you would never just outright miss. That wouldn't be a quality a superhero possesses.

No thats a normal person. Thats what a normal or even a invalid would do.

However for some reason it's quite possible to simply miss more than half the time. Especially when fighting higher level foes.

Ok so why do I care?

I care because missing most of the time simply isn't fun.

This game never really makes you feel Super Powered until you have stacked set enhancements that you worked out through a build.

And at that point the game is basically over. Your just repeating the same content over and over.

If your running missions and TF's as a level 50 with sets and incarnates the team just basically follows you around watching you annihilate everything.

So basically you're weak or your OP and that's it.

Or to put it into perspective your rich or your poor and that's it.

There is no superhero quality, either you grind your way to the top, or your gifted money to buy your way into power.

You, actually playing the game has no bearing on how well you can hit a target. It's all about that enhancement you bought with money or that inspiration you popped for a temporary boost. Thats the road they took, I get it. However when it comes to the accuracy I feel like they are very very wrong.

Lower level characters even while exalted have no fun at all swinging away at enemies they cannot hit and then being one shotted because the mechanics are wacked. Nope they are just going to follow the OP toon in the team around.

I suggest that changes be made so that characters who are actually playing the game can have fun and enjoy it playing vanilla.

And the biggest downside to playing that way is the misses.

I'm not suggesting that you tamper with the enemies accuracy, which would tamper with defense mechanics.

I'm simply suggesting that we the players receive a noticeable boost in accuracy.

OR we receive a boost in accuracy that starts at level 1 and tapers off as you gain levels. That way it can be a transition into better enhancements.

Or just remove misses somehow and turn them into 1/4 damage glances or something like that.

However if I had my way I would suggest that ALL players receive a noticeable boost in accuracy. And that players who are low level who are in a team and exalted receive a large boost in accuracy. I mean they aren't doing much damage anyways. Why should they be totally worthless ?

Again I care about this because it's simply not fun missing so much as a player trying to play the game vanilla without just buying ultimate power.

Thats all.

And there is no way to keep up with the need for constant enhancement upgrades unless your gifted or gifting your toons with inf.

I've seen it over and over with video games where changes are made based on the experience of high level characters. The low level characters see a lack of consideration for them and they just don't have any fun. And who can blame them ?

I think the focus should be fun first.

Then all of your in's and out's of why certain things are the way they are after that.

And in my opinion missing just isn't fun. 

Nothing more annoying then joining a team that's higher level than you and being absolutely worthless because they have the difficulty up and you simply can't land a hit.

Even if your a white knight you know you've been there.

Or better yet fighting a enemy that is one or two levels higher than you and you can't hit most of the time, again not fun.

Personally I have many level 50s and I have enough inf to buy my way out of this problem.

But there again it's not very superhero like to have to do that.

If it must be so. Then let it be for all of the other stats like damage, resistance, defense, health, endurance ect ect. 

But when it comes to my ability to touch something. I should hope that as a superhero at least my hands would work properly. 

Anyways thats my suggestion.

• Thumbs Down 1

You are capped at 95% chance to hit the target. Even with my attacks maxed out for accuracy, I will miss up to 4 or 5 times in a row if RNG feels like it. That is why Streakbreaker exists. If you have a high enough chance to hit, then Streakbreaker ensures that if you miss with one attack, the next one hits. Most characters have their chance to hit at the point where Streakbreaker kicks in on the 5th miss to make it a hit. The target's defense still has a chance to turn that hit into a deflection though. So if you attack the target and it says deflected, you hit the target but the target managed to avoid it. It looks like a miss, it feels like a miss, but it is not a miss. PCs get the same thing if they build up their defense.

As for having a higher accuracy that tapers off as you level? The game pretty much already works like that. That is why when you do certain arcs/missions. particularly the Hearts of Darkness and Shining Stars arcs, one of your contacts tells you that you need to slot enhancements to keep up with the level shifts.

• Thumbs Up 2

CoH is a superhero-inspired MMO, and not a direct adaptation of any specific comic book.  Also, you have to build up your character, until you get to the point where you virtually never miss.  Think of some of the "year-one" style storylines that have been published - many of the heroes started out whiffing, running out of breath, and getting the crap kicked out of them over and over again.  Slot for acc, leverage your power picks to add some tohit, defense debuff, etc.  Either way, there should always be a chance to fail...

Streakbreaker is part of the game and forces a hit after a certain amount of misses based on your chance to hit that target.  You said you missed 4 times in a row,  if streakbreaker forced a hit on the 5th attack it means you had somewhere between 40 and 60% chance to hit.  That averages to a 1 in 16 chance to get 4 misses in a row.   Not exactly a never to occur probability there,  i wouldnt be suprised if that happened every mission.  And if streakbreaker wasnt forcing the 5th hit then your accuracy would be even lower.

You probably need to monitor your combat logs to ensure the human element of only noticing misses isnt at work here.  Also only using AoE could miss the same target several times in a row since each target in the radius is calculated individually against streakbreaker.  The extra enemies could use the streakbreaker hit and leave the chance for a miss available on your primary target again.

12 hours ago, Sneakers said:

OR we receive a boost in accuracy that starts at level 1 and tapers off as you gain levels.

We already have it: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Attack_Mechanics#Beginner.27s_Luck

Also, if you run Death From Below, you can select select the Accuracy Enhancer (12% +tohit until lvl 22) as a reward. Drowning in Blood offers another that's good to lvl 30.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

2 hours ago, TheZag said:

Streakbreaker is part of the game and forces a hit after a certain amount of misses based on your chance to hit that target.  You said you missed 4 times in a row,  if streakbreaker forced a hit on the 5th attack it means you had somewhere between 40 and 60% chance to hit.  That averages to a 1 in 16 chance to get 4 misses in a row.   Not exactly a never to occur probability there,  i wouldnt be suprised if that happened every mission.  And if streakbreaker wasnt forcing the 5th hit then your accuracy would be even lower.

You probably need to monitor your combat logs to ensure the human element of only noticing misses isnt at work here.  Also only using AoE could miss the same target several times in a row since each target in the radius is calculated individually against streakbreaker.  The extra enemies could use the streakbreaker hit and leave the chance for a miss available on your primary target again.

The streak breaker isn't as reliable as implied, though.  Mixing AoE attacks with single-target attacks can, and in my case, very frequently does, result in missing the same target several times in a row, despite being at the hit chance cap.  This includes PBAoE toggles with a hit check, so it is entirely within the realm of possibility to have 95% chance to hit a target and miss several times in a row.

Ten years ago, I didn't mind missing.  But ten years ago, I wasn't playing sets with combo mechanics and stored charge effects, and I'm finding that missing is a much more frustrating problem today.  We shouldn't have to use 4-6 attacks to ensure that a 3 attack combo is functional, but we do.  Combo/charged mechanics just aren't compatible with miss rate mechanics, that's why HC rejiggered some of the melee sets to guarantee that their special effects are always granted, even on misses.  Still waiting for them to do that for Staff Melee (hopefully before i lose my temper one time too many and punch a hole in this laptop's LCD), but revisiting the hit chance mechanic to make Accuracy more relevant than simply pegging a character at a theoretical (but not practical) 95% miss rate would resolve the issue a lot better than more mechanic band-aids.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

The one that gets me is when you miss a stationary box or door or something.  I have to say it usually makes me laugh more than get frustrated though.

Yeah... missing a crate with a snipe at short or point-blank range twice in a row is rather infuriating.... (And I'm weird in that I only fire my snipes at the crates. Don't know why.)

On 10/4/2022 at 5:57 PM, Rudra said:

You are capped at 95% chance to hit the target. Even with my attacks maxed out for accuracy, I will miss up to 4 or 5 times in a row if RNG feels like it. That is why Streakbreaker exists. If you have a high enough chance to hit, then Streakbreaker ensures that if you miss with one attack, the next one hits. Most characters have their chance to hit at the point where Streakbreaker kicks in on the 5th miss to make it a hit. The target's defense still has a chance to turn that hit into a deflection though. So if you attack the target and it says deflected, you hit the target but the target managed to avoid it. It looks like a miss, it feels like a miss, but it is not a miss. PCs get the same thing if they build up their defense.

As for having a higher accuracy that tapers off as you level? The game pretty much already works like that. That is why when you do certain arcs/missions. particularly the Hearts of Darkness and Shining Stars arcs, one of your contacts tells you that you need to slot enhancements to keep up with the level shifts.

Ok but that is not all to the story.

I didn't know anything about these fix mechanics they have in play so all of this information is relevant. 

I only know what I know based off my experience. 

What you all are describing is good to know, that coh already has a system in place called streakbreaker to help address the settings.

With your help and the other posts I understand it fully.

But that's not all to the story here.

Everything is amplified as you fight higher level enemies.

And at some point you find yourself in teams and your next to useless.

I can understand that higher level enemies are supposed to be more difficult.

It's just awkward to find yourself in a team and you can't really hit much anything and when you do if you'd of healed them for the same amount it wouldn't of made much difference.

Thats why most players just farm to 50 and then start playing.

Most of the game is skipped like that for everyone. Weather its farming, speed run, or level 50 teams. Wonder why ?

In all of these scenarios lower level characters aren't really that useful unless they are support. 

But lets be honest once you are 50 with set's and incarnates you don't even need support.

Having said all this I can also definitely say the game is a blast! 

And I am ever grateful for those who relaunched.

I will probably enjoy it for as long as I can.

Most of the time playing on regular settings and running missions isn't difficult anyways.

Quite doable especially once you get used to the sorts of surprises you can be faced with.

However there is never enough enhancement drops to keep up with your needs. 

That wouldn't be a problem if the misses were toned down a notch.

The game is still awesome. But would be a little better imo if we didn't miss as often.