CoH causing computer fans to randomly speed up [solved]

thegoodking

This just started 2 days ago, but after playing CoH for a short period of time it will cause my computer fans to speed up greatly, to the point where it sounds dangerous.   Closing Coh immediately slows the fans to normal speeds. I have monitored using HwInfo and task manager and my heat does not go above anything dangerous, gets up to about 72C which is what it was getting to before the fan speed issue.  CPU usage is no higher than normal, stays at 11.5% with 2gigs of memory usage.  I have tested it with other games and programs and they do not cause this issue, only CoH.   Hoping anyone can help me along with this.

edit: this started just after an Nvidia GEForce Experience update and the latest Windows 10 update.  I was unable to rollback the display driver, nor can i find a place to download the previous version.   Still very odd it only affecting CoH. 

I also tried a reinstall of CoH.

Edited by thegoodking

Nvidea user here. This is a strange quirk of CoH that has gone on since live. If I had to guess it’s an Nvidea driver problem when working with CoH. The fan usually slows down and or levels off after a bit. In the few cases it has not slowed down I just shut down the game and restart it. This always works for me. A reboot never hurts. It is time consuming but better than letting the fan run off the rails.

Edited by Arc-Mage

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

1 hour ago, thegoodking said:

This just started 2 days ago, but after playing CoH for a short period of time it will cause my computer fans to speed up greatly, to the point where it sounds dangerous.   Closing Coh immediately slows the fans to normal speeds. I have monitored using HwInfo and task manager and my heat does not go above anything dangerous, gets up to about 72C which is what it was getting to before the fan speed issue.  CPU usage is no higher than normal, stays at 11.5% with 2gigs of memory usage.  I have tested it with other games and programs and they do not cause this issue, only CoH.   Hoping anyone can help me along with this.

edit: this started just after an Nvidia GEForce Experience update and the latest Windows 10 update.  I was unable to rollback the display driver, nor can i find a place to download the previous version.   Still very odd it only affecting CoH. 

I also tried a reinstall of CoH.

1.  Your temperature sensor doesn't sound like it's reporting correctly. Check your drivers.

Who's the manufacturer of the PCB? (nVidea is the GPU chipset, not what I'm asking) Model #?

2. Cleaning out the heatsink is a 2x annual thing every gamer should do.  Blocked airflow is really bad and you'd be surprised how much gets caught in them even in a relatively cleaner home.

3.  Stock thermal paste on modern GPUs and CPUs is typically cheap crap that dries out into a chalk-line compound after a year or less.  I would recommend using something good like Kyronaut, or even Artic Silver.  The pads or putty also gets old.  Avoid liquid metal unless you know exactly what you're doing, and even then you have to be careful to not move it when it's warmed up.  (i.e.: gaming laptops or other mobile devices with liquid metal instead of thermal paste are a terrible idea, and an expensive one for the manufacturer warranty, and it doesn't even help much)

But start with drivers, just updating the nVidea ones may not be enough, for for a firmware update or a GUI interface update for Afterburner or whatever 

• 3 weeks later

Turns out it was the GPU hotspot that was heating up on my Gigabyte Nvidia GEforce RTX 3070 after updating to graphics ready driver 522.25, the fans were those built into my graphics card.  I contacted Nvidia to get the previous driver (517.48) and things returned to normal.  Also, i noticed a few degree difference when setting /maxfps 60 and /maxinactivefps 30 in game.

Edited by thegoodking

• thegoodking changed the title to CoH causing computer fans to randomly speed up [solved]
15 hours ago, thegoodking said:

Turns out it was the GPU hotspot that was heating up on my Gigabyte Nvidia GEforce RTX 3070 after updating to graphics ready driver 522.25, the fans were those built into my graphics card.  I contacted Nvidia to get the previous driver (517.48) and things returned to normal.  Also, i noticed a few degree difference when setting /maxfps 60 and /maxinactivefps 30 in game.

Huh, I thought I'd replied to this. Yeah, the GPU drivers made the most sense for this situation.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)