Popmenus not loading

Psychic Guardian

So on live I had written a custom quickchat, and custom costumechange popmenu. I'm just getting back into coh but have had a tequila install since 2019. The data directory had my .mnu's in their proper subdirectories but the ingame quickchat was not mine, and /popmenu costumes brings up a popmenu but not mine. I've been tinkering for DAYS and asking for help ingame and Discord and gotten nothing. I just want the files read.

Troubleshooting:

• Duh-they are .mnu not .mnu.txt
  • Data>texts>English directory
  • verified Tequila installdirectory is where i'm working and not another backup location of coh(they're all over my PCs)
  • cut everything out of English and started game, /popmenu Costumes STILL works when it shouldn't. (closing and relaunching game between all troubleshooting steps btw)
  • "Maybe the devs made this dumb unfinished costumes popmenu and playerdirectory files can't override it" Tried changing the name of my menu. not the filename, the menu
  • Saw a tip somewhere that the line above the menu title needs to end in carriagereturn, verified that was true, it always has been in my file.
  • Tried installing and using HCLauncher. Still nothing.
  • decided to try using my custom loginscreen files I made a lifetime ago that used to work in textures_library of data. Those are ignored also.
  • getting furious deleted the main textures_library file for loginscreen image
  • opened the game and the cursed default still loads just fine. While that file is GONE from my system.
  • (It's not any Windows policing issue as i'm on Windows 7 with UAC off. The game installs fine and my costumes and powercust all also save to this directory verifying it's not the wrong install area i'm looking at)

What on earth has happened that causes all usermods that don't come from that "Cohmodder" app i'm about to have to look into next to be ignored???

A few comments in bold below:

6 hours ago, Psychic Guardian said:
  • Data>texts>English directory

The directory should be <CoH Install Folder>\data\texts\English\menus

• cut everything out of English and started game, /popmenu Costumes STILL works when it shouldn't. (closing and relaunching game between all troubleshooting steps btw)
  • "Maybe the devs made this dumb unfinished costumes popmenu and playerdirectory files can't override it" Tried changing the name of my menu. not the filename, the menu

I made a quick test menu named 'costumes' but I see the same behavior you are seeing. There appears to be a built-in 'costumes' popmenu that cannot be overwritten by files in the data directory. I changed the name of my test menu to 'costumes_a' and it worked fine (see contents below).

• Saw a tip somewhere that the line above the menu title needs to end in carriagereturn, verified that was true, it always has been in my file.

I always use a comment line (which is any line that starts with two forward slashes, see below) to start my menus but I think a blank line might work as well.

Here's what my test menu looked like:

popmenu_image.png.44ea454d4e2db45e0b6175a72719c78b.png

It sounds like you know this already, but the menu name to use with the /popmenu command in-game is the name contained in the top-most occurrence of the Menu command, denoted by the red arrow above. It's not the filename, which above is called menu_test_delete.mnu.

Here's the code itself if that would be helpful:

//
Menu "costumes_a"
{
Title "Working Title"
Option "Dummy Option" ""
}

It might be helpful if you could post the code, or even a screenshot, of the top portions of your menus.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

popmenu_image.png.44ea454d4e2db45e0b6175a72719c78b.png

It sounds like you know this already, but the menu name to use with the /popmenu command in-game is the name contained in the top-most occurrence of the Menu command, denoted by the red arrow above. It's not the filename, which above is called menu_test_delete.mnu.

//
Menu "costumes_a"
{
Title "Working Title"
Option "Dummy Option" ""
}

It might be helpful if you could post the code, or even a screenshot, of the top portions of your menus.

OF COURSE it's the genius I kept coming across with techy posts who solves my issue. Ya know I almost didn't type out the full path in my list of steps but I guess the genius voice in the back of my head insisted "type it out so they will say that's what's wrong". I'm just getting to bed so I'll have to launch the game and see later but I checked the directories and yeah at some point with my backups or transfers "Menus" folder disappeared and they went into English. I can't believe they forced that broken one onto everyone lol. It's missing a ton of CCEs, and the hotkey activations for 1 and 10 are the same in each submenu so the hotkeys can't function right...

I'll be so hyped being able to actually see my CCEs activating again!

54 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

//
Menu "costumes_a"
{
Title "Working Title"
Option "Dummy Option" ""
}

Maybe you'll have insights as to why my LoginScreen mods are also failing? I forget how I made them but I remember something about using bitmaps. In any case all of these .textures could be activated successfully on live.

I have "COH_LogInScreen_Background.texture"

in

data\texture_library\GUI\CREATION\HybridUI\LoginScreen

and it gets ignored. I always liked this one:

CoH Login Page Statesman&Tyrant.bmp

7 minutes ago, Psychic Guardian said:

Maybe you'll have insights as to why my LoginScreen mods are also failing?

I am not super familiar with login screen mods, but just to be clear, are you talking about the screen at startup where you enter your username and password?

If so, it looks like that texture is named 'coh.texture' and it goes in:

<CoH Install Folder>\data\texture_library\GUI\CREATION\login

Here's a screenshot of Homecoming's custom login screen, viewed from within piglet (the image doesn't display completely, but you can see enough to recognize it as the login screen). The capitalization on the folders doesn't match (and I am 99.9% sure it doesn't matter) but you can see the folder path if you follow the folder levels on the left and you can see the filename below the image.

hc_login.thumb.png.4eee4516fa0c9abd66185c401b2f4fa6.png

If that one is the one you want to mod, I can assist with that, but it'll take a little more work than just changing the filename. There is a header in the texture that needs to contain the correct filename as well.

Strange I know Live used HybridUI folder and that much longer filename. I created the "login" folder and put one of my files there renamed to coh.texture and you're right the game threw an error immediately saying the file is misnamed due to an improper header. I think a lifetime ago I used an app maybe "cohsplasher" to set the header. I guess i'll need to find something to fix those.