Pavel Garnier Will Not Give Story Arc

The Chairman

Twice now I have had a character introduced to Pavel Garnier. According to the HC Wiki, this contact gives The Vahzilok Plague story arc. Each time, he only gives the non-story missions and the badge mission (Plague Stopper). Once these missions are given, he introduces me to a new contact and fails to give further missions. Once Pavel Garnier is received as a contact, other contacts will not introduce me to an alternative contact that provides The Vahzilok Plague. Pavel Garnier appears to bugged.

• 4 months later

I know this is a dumb question, but I have to ask: what level were you at the time you did the Pavel Garnier content? This is probably part of the bug, but if my level is in the upper end of his level range, he won't give me the arc. If my level is at the lower end of his range, he does give me the arc. It's weird. My level 19 hero can't get him to give the arc even with xp turned off, but my level 15/16 has it popped on them almost immediately. (However, it could just be a question of the bug popping up on some characters but not others, and the level itself having nothing to do with it.)

• 4 weeks later
On 3/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, SuperJames said:

I've had the same bug. Also, his name appears as Pavel_Garnier.

I don't get the arc from Pavel_Garnier either and thanks to SuperJames pointing it out (I wouldn't have noticed) I can confirm the spelling.

• 1 month later
  • Developer

Wow, took a look at this today and...

Pavel Garnier himself has a small error in his name, but that's all I can confirm.

Now, contacts like himself and Ann-Marie Engeles have separate conditions involving level ranges.

These ranges exist on the contacts themselves, and in some of the content they offer.

The contacts:

MinPlayerLevel 15
    MaxPlayerLevel 19
    CompletePlayerLevel 19    
// Start introducing other contacts at this level.

FailsafePlayerLevel 24       // Stop offering missions at this level.

The content:

// TaskPool
    TaskInclude Contacts\Level_3\tasks\SL3_Vahzilok.taskset

Note:  Badge mission is in this set ^ 15-20 range (SL3Mission)

// TaskPool
    TaskInclude Contacts\Level_3\tasks\SL3_Outcasts.taskset

// TaskPool
    TaskInclude Contacts\Guided_Play\tasks\SL3_Guided.taskset

Talk to the Security Chief! Oh boy.

// StoryArc
    StoryArc StoryArcs\Lvl3_Vahzilok_StoryArc_4.storyarc

minplayerlevel 15
    maxplayerlevel 19

As far as I know, this data is read in order, and so each item is checked - task task task storyarc. If you don't qualify for something it doesn't lock you out of everything, it just skips the thing you can't do.

Some tasks likely must be done before the arc has room to be offered, and then you must be Level 19 or less to be issued the arc.

Caretaker recommends: Turn off xp when you're 18 and go to town.

Meanwhile, submitting a minor fix to repair Pavel's name.

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

• 4 months later
On 5/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, The Caretaker said:

Wow, took a look at this today and...

Pavel Garnier himself has a small error in his name, but that's all I can confirm.

Now, contacts like himself and Ann-Marie Engeles have separate conditions involving level ranges.

These ranges exist on the contacts themselves, and in some of the content they offer.

The contacts:

MinPlayerLevel 15
    MaxPlayerLevel 19
    CompletePlayerLevel 19    
// Start introducing other contacts at this level.

FailsafePlayerLevel 24       // Stop offering missions at this level.

The content:

// TaskPool
    TaskInclude Contacts\Level_3\tasks\SL3_Vahzilok.taskset

Note:  Badge mission is in this set ^ 15-20 range (SL3Mission)

// TaskPool
    TaskInclude Contacts\Level_3\tasks\SL3_Outcasts.taskset

// TaskPool
    TaskInclude Contacts\Guided_Play\tasks\SL3_Guided.taskset

Talk to the Security Chief! Oh boy.

// StoryArc
    StoryArc StoryArcs\Lvl3_Vahzilok_StoryArc_4.storyarc

minplayerlevel 15
    maxplayerlevel 19

As far as I know, this data is read in order, and so each item is checked - task task task storyarc. If you don't qualify for something it doesn't lock you out of everything, it just skips the thing you can't do.

Some tasks likely must be done before the arc has room to be offered, and then you must be Level 19 or less to be issued the arc.

Caretaker recommends: Turn off xp when you're 18 and go to town.

Meanwhile, submitting a minor fix to repair Pavel's name.

Hate to bring this back up, but I just faceplanted into this problem today. My character was level locked at level 17, the middle of Pavel Garnier's story arc's level range. He gave the timed follow up mission to destroy the 3 drums of new plague, and he gave all his other missions, but he never gave his story arc. He has no more missions he is willing to give me, at level 17, and I have yet to do his story arc.

(Edit: Oh, and his name is still broken in the contact window and on the mission window.)

Edited by Rudra

• 1 month later
  • Developer
On 10/5/2023 at 7:22 PM, Rudra said:

Hate to bring this back up, but I just faceplanted into this problem today. My character was level locked at level 17, the middle of Pavel Garnier's story arc's level range. He gave the timed follow up mission to destroy the 3 drums of new plague, and he gave all his other missions, but he never gave his story arc. He has no more missions he is willing to give me, at level 17, and I have yet to do his story arc.

(Edit: Oh, and his name is still broken in the contact window and on the mission window.)

He is also not going to give the task depending on origin - the same task is given from another contact that aligns with your origin.

Edit: Sorry this took a month to respond to, life's been lifein'

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

6 hours ago, The Caretaker said:

He is also not going to give the task depending on origin - the same task is given from another contact that aligns with your origin.

Edit: Sorry this took a month to respond to, life's been lifein'

He is/was the only contact the game gave me with the arc. It's not like I can just take my characters to the other contact to get the missing arc. The other contact won't even talk to me when I have Pavel as a listed contact.

• 1 month later

Scratched at this on test server, with the power of /levelupxp.

* Olivia Chung - who is conveniently next to Pavel Garnier in contacts.bin afaik - gives the arc normally.

* Pavel Garnier doesn't give the arc at any level. Not 15, not 19, not anywhere between.

So, I'd be curious if there's a teeny tiny difference between Olivia Chung's and Pavel Garnier's data records. Even a little typo might do it.

Minor note, Pavel Garnier gave the arc as of the public COH-VM3-i26 release. There's a good chance this only affects Homecoming.

• Thanks 1

This is a dumb question... if Pavel Garnier is flagged to only give his story arc to the correct origin (but the followup badge mission to anyone), did he lose his origin flag somehow? (And since we can only get access to 1 contact that gives a story arc and some of us are being funneled to him consistently, would you be willing to remove his origin only flag for the story arc?) (Edit: Especially since out of the four contacts [for five origins?!], only Dr. Ann-Marie Engles gives a hint as to what origin she may be? Or at least limit the contact introduction to your specific origin so we can make sure we can access the story arc rather than maybe getting stuck with a contact that won't give us the arc?)

Edited by Rudra

I hopped back on test server, and retried Pavel Garnier on a character with the matching origin, Mutation.

Same result - he doesn't give the story arc at level 15, 16, 17, 18, or 19.

It's as if he doesn't have a story arc at all.

(Edit: Note to GM/QA maybe check "/addcontact Pavel_Garnier" and "/contactdetail Pavel_Garnier" and see if the arc is on his list?)

Edited by Kai Moon

• Developer

I think I finally sussed out what the heck's going on with Pavel.

hc_sig copy.jpg

• Developer

Yup. When Piecemeal first started out with their arcs, they were going to use Pavel for the contact instead of creating Agent Watkins. Modifications were made to Pavel that were supposed to be undone. Because they were a new dev at the time, their data practices were horrific (Humble note: Mine are only slightly better). Git management caused the change (and reversion) to be lost when the data was squashed for main branch integration because reasons. Pavel *lost* the line in his data file that issues the arc entirely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

hc_sig copy.jpg

• 4 weeks later